Drama viewership ratings for the week of Sept. 19-25, 2016

Moonlight Drawn By Clouds rose to an impressive 21.3% this week, but didn’t go much higher—though at this point, I wouldn’t put anything past that show. The fact that it dropped just a teensy bit in its even episode doesn’t mean much—there was a lot of content to distract audiences on Tuesday, including two episodes of Monster.

At least Monster ended at a decent 14.1%, though by the time the final episode aired, it wasn’t competing with much. It’ll be interesting to see how numbers shake out next week once MBC’s new kid arrives on the Monday-Tuesday block, but for now, Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo was able to rise above the 6% mark, which is a big accomplishment for the beleaguered production. May it have more luck in future weeks.

The middle of the week saw two new premieres in On the Way to the Airport and Shopping King Louis. I admit to being wary of the word “king” being used in any modern title (Fashion King, anyone?), but both shows performed admirably, with Airport pulling ahead by over a point at 7.5%, while Shopping King netted a modest 6.2%. It’s still only the first week, so next week will be the real deciding factor.

In cable news, much-anticipated The K2 premiered on tvN in the slot previously occupied by The Good Wife, and did pretty well for itself at 3.4%. It’s no runaway hit quite yet, but there’s still plenty of time.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Sept. 19-25, 2016

Laurel Tree Tailors 10 KBS 28.7%
Blow Breeze 10 MBC 13.2%
Flower in Prison 39 MBC 20.8%
Our Gap-soon 10 SBS 8.4%
Second to Last Love 13 SBS 8.2%

Tags:

MDBC deserves the high ratings!! The acting , the writing the editing. Everything too notch
I wish Moonlight also gets over the 10% at least. Lee Jun Gi is so awesome in that one , and finally the story seems to be picking up. Fighting !!

The second Moonlight is Moon Lovers, correct?

@purpleowl - yes moon lovers. Sorry?

I hope now that monster is over, may be moon lovers will pick up in rating? :(..One can dream. But seriously this is one of the two dramas that I've been watching these days, apart from shopping king louis. Dunno if it's me who's bringing all the bad luck to my favorite dramas lol.

You're not the only dreaming lol me too I hope for Moon Lovers to pick up with ratings they deserve much more. Fighting Moon lovers!

The K2 had huge disadvantage for starting three weeks after Good Wife ended and in different timeslot, so pulling above 3% rating and actually going up in second episode is pretty impressive, shows that people liked it.

Yeah, people liked the show. There were almost positive comments on the naver website.

But it air before 30 minutes (20:00) while jTBC air at 20:30.

Yeah but LTT airs at 20:00 and has 24% ratings , so that's a huge competition for a drama that just started and needs to hook it's audience.

For the showmakers 3% is a milestone. They made a cast promise if they achieve 3 % .. inviting 3 fans over .. and they did that in the first episode!

I just finished Ep 2 and I have to say that I like it very much!! I don't love it yet but I don't think that's going to take long - JCW's action scenes are top notch and surprisingly, Yoona's acting has improved by leaps and bounds!!! Although there haven't been many scenes with her yet, but whatever little I saw of her, I definitely liked it!!

I am totally looking forward to the next episode..

I really hope K2 ratings will rise! Korean netizens gave positive comments, so word of mouth is good, and the opening episodes had a great start.

I wonder if Drinking Solo aired on some other day rather than on Mon-Tues, would it have gotten good ratings. The show truly deserves ratings higher than what its currently scoring.

Shopping king Louie got better with second episode but I still doubt whether it would be good till the end.

Yeah, I'm not used to looking to TvN on Mon-Tues. I was so confused when it popped up on my TV tracking app as available to watch. I can't have a fave moonday drama atm, not because of the double moon but because I like 1 moon and another show.

I haven't seen the second episode of SKL. But I love it a lot. I don't care much for SIG's ratings. I want to join the party our fandom has every time he graces our screens. It would replace Ji as my Wed-Thurs if they weren't ending at the same time. The drama low will be tough that week. I plan to start OtWtA as well. All 3 will end the same night ??

I doubt its ratings would be much different if it's airing on another day - Drinking Solo's ratings aren't affected by the Moons and Monster since it's airing 1 hour later than these shows.

I really doubt so, it took over Lets Fight Ghost which took over Another Oh Hae Young which pulled in high ratings. I think it's got to do with the drama itself, maybe it doesn't appeal to them

Even CITT did well in that time slot( though it was for the first half..)

I'm glad most premiers went well. Especially happy for JI, the only show I like right now and is doing exceptionally well.

Yeah, last week JI got some push from the 3rd runner up UF. This week it seems like they got a push from W2W. I'm glad the other 2 are still doing alright. 8% or 10% could be in reach without damaging JI's solid following.

Super happy for JI too, it's the only weekday primetime show I'm watching right now. Show is also improving every week, so I hope the ratings continue to increase

JI really deserved it, and Im glad the ratings were like I predicted. JI held on its own really well despite UF and W as it competitors so now that they're out of the way JI can only go up from here.

Drinking Solo isn't doing as well as I'd like, but they seem to be maintaining their audience. If I was in SK I'd watch MDBC when it airs. Actually I'm not sure DSM gives me life & feels different than MDBC. I guess it would depend on the type I want that night vs the next.

Wed-Thurs is my comedy night so far. JI, SKL have me laughing so much. I haven't gotten to OtWtA yet. But with Shin-Rok & Sang Yoon, I'd probably have a hard time choosing what to watch. I'd stick with what eveRyong is watching so I can Stat up to date in conversation.

Fri-Sat is doing as well for the shows I'm interested in. C&4K should end having maintained their level the whole drama. Did it hit 3% yet? I hope the fans move over to FantastiC. For the second half.

I'd be flipping back and forth depending on what I need to know today or tomorrow afternoon. Watch the odd at night. If I can't wait watch the odd of the other drama during non timeslots. Then deciding which drama to watch even would be difficult.

Hwaiting! To all my loves & to other persons loves!

Drinking Solo is not going up against Moonlights and the rest. Different time slot.

I'm not watching Jealousy Incarnate just yet, but I'm so happy for Gong Hyo Jin. She always picks good roles and dramas, and never disappoints in them.

Are you waiting for it to be furtherin? Waiting for it to be over? Or for audience reception overall?

No negative feelings. Just curious about the yet.

Actually I too haven't started on JI as I din't want to juggle between too many shows. Now that C4K is getting over next week, I'm in a dilemma to choose one amongst K2, JI, OTWTA.

I really recommend JI, you won't regret it. The first two episodes are slow but it really picks up from there.

Depends on what kind of drama/feel you want.
I haven't started The K2 or OTWTA yet, but The K2 is mostly action/thriller so far, OTWTA a mature watch that gets you in the feels (think Dear My Friends), while Jealousy Incarnate is a rom-com (great cast, directing and music, but the writing is a bit rocky, especially at the beginning).

I also love ost in Je

i want to start otwtta, but i hate shows with adultery themes ... is someone watching it already ?? how is it ?

I've watched it. it's fine so far and actually I really enjoyed it. well i hate shows with adultery themes but i wanna give it a try

Yeah, i hate adultery theme too, but i think the writer would make us root for the main couple no matter what. I watched ep 1 and 2, i still dont hate the main leads so i 'll keep watching for now.

If it's anything like One Warm Word (which also had an adultery theme and handled it gracefully), then it should be a satisfying watch full of feels.

I was actually going to start it this week because now there's a bank of episodes, but now I'll start it well after it ends. I just got my exam dates this week (for Oct/Nov) and it wasn't what I was expecting, so I have to drop all the dramas I was already watching and i can only pick them up (and JI) after exams.

JI is a fun show, wacky, light but also has layers of story. You'll get engaged and laugh al

Woops! Submitted too fast!!

You'll get engaged and laugh all along (at least until ep. 10). So much good stuff, pretty picture/camera lighting, Gong Hyo Jin's style also fresh and Jo Jeong Seok acting is top notch.

Anyone know why K2 air at 20h00 instead 20h30 ? Why tvN don't want competition with jTBC?

It's programming strategy, I guess. tvN doesn't have to worry about competition because they are the only channel that airs drama at 8:00 PM.

KBS1 airs their daily soap at 8:20PM, while MBC and SBS air their weekend soaps at 8:45 PM. Besides, SBS, MBC & JTBC air news programs at 8PM, so there is less drama competition at that time!

I think JI can hit 15% for sure. Let's hope!

It's so stange when most of dramas reach 15% or more in this year air on Mon-Tues. Wed-Thurs maybe not a time k-people like anymore.
Anyone know that why Korean people watch dramas very late (At 22:00)? In my country, golden time is about 20:00, some hot dramas air on 21:00 or 20:30.

Exact thoughts!! I mean if people watch shows till 12 a.m., how do they wake up the next day to go to school/university/office? In my country they stop drama telecast maximum by 11 p.m. And we have only variety shows on Saturday/Sunday instead of dramas.

I always thought Korean prime time dramas air so late because people work such long hours?

Yes, my country too. I can't find any dramas to watch in Sat-Sun. They only air in Mon-Fri. People in my country just love watch shows in golden time (20:00), but have some super long series (India soap opera) air at 20h, it's very very popular too.
We don't have rating meter. But most of us we turn off tv after 22h, if they stills turn on tv, they surely listen to music programs.
Other timeslot? No one want to watch.

I guess, it's not about the time, but the choices viewers have. The networks had experienced low ratings each year. But it's not because people don't have time to watch TV, they are just moving away from the networks, and are now watching cable programs.

From my experience, Koreans tend to go to bed quite late (when compared to the western world at least). My average bedtime is always delayed by a good 2-3 hours whenever I am staying in Korea. They sleep less hours, too.

I don't quite know exactly how it is in Korea, but in Japan, I'd arrive back from school at around 21:00 or 21:30. After that, I'd tidy up and shower. I'd only have time to sit and settle by around 22:00 or 23:00. So I guess that's why the primetime is around 22:00.

Going to sleep around midnight is average. Waking up the next day would be around 5:00 or 6:00.

Back to school after 21:00? Even i go to home with learning out of school at 20:30, i feel very tired. How you can relax?

WHAT!when my brother went home by 6,i thought that was really late already.

I was thinking the same. In my country too prone shows air from 20h to 21:30h ... There are no good shows after 22:00 .! Nobody watches them here.

best shows like srime dramas with high production quality air around 21.45 to 22.30. But domestic dramas usually at 20.00 before or right after the news. There are also shows that exclusively air around 10.30 - 12.00 on sunday morning when everyone is at home, too lazy to go out or do anything cept watch the tele.

shit! *crime not srime! good thing I didnt write slime dramas.

I'm having strong Frozen (or whatever was so popular between both adults and teen recently) deja vu with Moonlight. Like everyone so hyped about it and here I'm not getting what so special. I do see appeal, but it's flies far from my taste.
Also JI had terrible 4 first episodes, with 1st one being simply unwatchable. But since it wasn't hyped or don't contain any idol/young person in cast, people I guess naturally gave it chance to it grew in them, picking up with pace and sometimes overly strange humor. I tried to give it another chance after seeing positive comments, but dropped again. Can't pass it, honestly this is one of those times, when I completely disagree with praising.

I think most people can see its a well made drama. You do too right? Its just a matter of preference. If you like otAnd no explanation can change that

Accidentally press reply.

I think most people can see its a well made drama. You do too right? Its just a matter of preference. If you like it, you like it. If you dont, you wont. And no explanation can change that.

I didn't write i need explanation though. I don't get it, I'm not interested in getting it. I admitted, that it's just far from my taste, even if squeeze my eyes, I would find nothing in it, that lies around what I enjoy in stories. That happens. No need to get defensive. My opinion change nothing, since it's widely popular drama.

Err did i seem defensive? Sorry for that. I guess my obsession state makes me lose my mind...

I like Moonlight, but I'm not really that excited by it either. It always takes me a while to watch new episodes, but when I finally do, I'm satisfied with the show. It's not a show I'll lose sleep over while waiting for subs so I can see it on the day it's released, but it's a good watch nonetheless.

JI I stuck through purely because I adore the main cast - it seems like it's improving? Honestly, I just skip most of the Ppal Gang/two mothers storyline and that already makes it better.

Ditto. I know moonlight is well made but I'm not eager to watch it whenever the new episodes comes and when I see it I'm satisfied but there's nothing more to it. I'm basically not excited as much as everyone else here. And JI is my crack drama. Though I know the first episodes were shaky but it was the very first impression of the show that hooked me. I just knew from the first 2 episodes that I'm going to like it and still am. The humor is my type.

That how I feel. I'm several episodes behind and like it (and Bogum), but I don't feel any burning desire to watch it every week or live stream it like I do with other shows. It's a nice show, but it's not something I find myself obsessing over. It's a nice stress reliever, but I don't feel much connection to it I suppose.

I understand how you feel, I have been in that situation before. I remember how YFAS and SG were so popular, but I just couldnt finish them, only watched until ep 3 or 4.

That's because this is a youth sageuk, which might not appeal to the mass. The fact that it is so well-made makes everyone who likes this genre gushes about it, but since it's not your cup of tea, there's no reason to force it down, sometimes I find myself weirdly not attracted to most highly buzzed drama, i.e Descendants of the Sun, Healer, Reply series.

Yes. That's my reason too. It's geared towards the young people. I'm mid 30s and dramas with 25ish and lower leads just don't appeal to me. If ML have the same age brackets leads as with Moonlight. I wouldn't even dare to watch it.

I know what you mean with Frozen, it never caught my attention, and when I finally saw it in TV, was totally boring.

But I do like Moonlight, I love PBG and it's my first sageuk, which, I only started watching because of him and I'm glad that I did coz I like all the actors and the male protagonist is a smart one, the music and the visuals are good too.

I guessmy Frozen would be "It's OK it's love", even tho Gong Hyo Jin is one of my favourite actresses, I just don't feel anything with that drama, I've tried to watch it around 6 times and haven't been able to pass the 4th or 5th ep., same with You who came from the stars, but mainly coz I find the leading actress annoying.

I heard Moon Lovers had 70% rating in Malaysia and Singapore? How true is that?

OneHD ML on Monday and Tuesday night.
KBS World MDBC on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Not sure if that comparison is valid though if both dramas have different air dates (except Tuesday).

I am Malaysian so I think I can have some opinion. Moonlight not really popular here, regardless that the timeslot is different. I don't hear much about Moonlight unlike Dots, W and Doctors and I mentioned these 3 dramas because these are the hit dramas in Korea. But Scarlet Heart is definitely the talks of the town here.

I heard that SH is popular internationally, or in this case you may say in China, Singapore, Malaysia but I don't think it's fair to compare it with Moonlighy, as to my knowledge SH has an advantage as follows:
1. SH is the first korean drama to my knowledge that were subbed & airs in my country at the same time as it airs in korea, soI believe it create hypes to the viewers, even DOTS was not aired like that here.
2. SH is a preproduced drama with a huge budget & they're advertising it much much more before it airs, they even held Kang Ha neul's fan meeting on Singapore before SH airs, so I am not surprised the rating is soars
3.SH was a drama based on popular chinese novels which has a huge fanbase & sure it is matters since they also had idol casts who popular in China
4. You can't find Moonlight on youku as they're not selling it there
5. Moonlight was meant to be underdog (means not much advertising/selling it internationally), so am not surprised they don't have huge rating internationally but that doesn't meant international fans not loving it.

Although am happy SH had a great rating internationally but I don't think it's fair to compare it with moonlight.

Eh?? Are you sure? I'm from Malaysia too but I see a lot of buzz for Moonlight. In the papers and in my Facebook timeline. Needless to say all my friends are watching Moonlight. Even my aunts! Park Bo Gum seems to be the man of the hour here. I have yet to watch it however, will probably wait until it finishes airing before I do.

I heard Moon Lovers becomes no.1 drama in Malaysia, beating W, Doctors and DOTS. That's some impressive feat.
But I think Malaysia&Singapore in general love sageuks.

I don't know about Singapore, but I don't think Malaysians love sageuk. Maybe it is because Lee Jun Ki?

I cannot remember the last sageuk that was really popular here, though.

I think Junki and all the idols play a big role for its success internationally. Among my officemate, i'm the only one obsessing over Moonlight. My friends who are into KPop, all love Moon Lovers more and just skim through watching Moonlight. Well, because its the competitor of their fav. They said, if Moonlight airs at other time, they'll probably like it more. Anyway, i dont bother it. People have different taste. Lets enjoy whatever we like.

Moon Lover won over Moonlights, I supposed in Malaysia, based on my observation.

Moonlovers have 3x more ratings than Moonlight. I have friends in Singapore and they confirmed this.

I think TMETS was really popular back then among Malaysians.

Kim Soo Hyun was the trendy actor that season, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm Malaysian and not really into sageuk. But LJK performances is really good in Moonlovers so thats why I stuck to this series. Actually I'm not planning to watch this series because of IU but LJK won my heart with his Wang So.

Being Malaysian, I can say that the younger viewers not really into saeguk but the older ones definitely love saeguk. The most popular saeguk among Malaysians is hands down "Jewel in The Palace".
Lee Jun Ki was not so popular in Malaysia, until Scarlet Heart. Now he is basically everybody's dreamboat and I am happy for him, he totally slays in SHR.
I don't agree that the drama's popularity is the result of the idols' fandom. Except EXO's Baekhyun, the rest of the flower boys are not well known in Malaysia.
The reason the drama is so popular here is because of the genre. Many commented that they love the plot and the lion's share of the popularity is undeniably LJK.

i'm so happy for him too. i don't think i have spazzed over someone so much since KWB in heirs ....

I was watching his healing camp appearance and he is shockingly honest and self aware

he spoke about how he became rude and cocky and treated everyone badly because success got to his head after 'king and the clown' . how he used to feel lonely and think that everyone was with him just to use him ... and finally when all his friends stopped talking to him, thats when he came down to earth.

.... i think i'm slightly in love with him.

I love him before Scarlet Heart. It was SWWTN that converted me into his fan though my mom been his long time fan since watching him in Arang.

I posted a lot of his dramas on fb but after the airing SHR, then only many of my friends took noticed and a lot raved over his performance, which literally transform everyone into his fans.

I am beyond happy that SHR and LJK is receiving so much love and support in my home country. The fact that SHR even managed to beat DOTS, the drama that drew so much craziness here during the first half of the year is really amazing.

You are slightly in love with him? On the contrary, I am totally in love with him.

I agreed on this. Jewel In The Place remains as one of the most popular in Malaysia. The younger i.e kids are teenagers probably not knowing how popular this drama.

But I beg to differ, Lee Jun Ki is actually one of the very popular in Malaysia. My Girl was popular here, and most of his drama are quite popular. Iljimae, Arang.. Yeah KPOP fanbase here are bigger than Kdrama, and EXO is really popular.,

It is probably true because it airs on cable and not all household have cable.

All korean entertainment programs airing on cable tv in Malaysia that is via Astro. Now, only 8tv (general tv station) airing korean dramas and normally airing the outdated dramas like currently is "Oh, My Venus". Dots and Doctors aired on cable tv, same like SH. The fact that now SH has become the most watched drama in Malaysia is an achievement itself. It is highly trending here also.

have you all checked out the new stills for the next week? .. how am i supposed to wait after seeing them ?

I know, right? That's what I get from searching Twitter. When is Monday, again?

You can check the twitter. They have released a lot of stills and a lot are going to happen this coming week. The poison, the rain scene and a lot more. Getting more intriging I must say.

I happened to come across the stills 2 days ago and I couldn't be more angry with myself because I knew that moonday was still a few days away. Whoever is releasing these stills knows how to torture fans. At least I'll have the subs in less than 24 hrs now. It's just so painful to wait though ?.

Singaporean here and I don't think that's true. While there are some people watching it (like me and my mum), ML doesn't seem to be THAT popular. I have a lot more friends watching Doctors or W compared to both Moon shows ><

Someone posted a snapshot of a newspaper which mentioned that its the top korean show in singapore now. its ratings are apparently triple of moonlight there ...

@Bips 99

Yes, the ratings is triple of Moonlight, up to 73%

Also, there's an article to confirm that Scarlet Heart is the most watched drama in Malaysia, surpassing Doctors and even DOTS.

I would say that Astro's move to air SH the same time as South Korea really attracted the viewers in Malaysia. And most viewers are the ahjummas (I'm using my family members as reference so I may be wrong) who have high tolerance with overly dramatic stories because the local tv shows are much more nonsensical than kdramas. I'm not saying that SH is nonsensical but these viewers won't have qualms over plot inconsistencies etc. like we do on DB so I think that's part of the reason why it has high ratings. And like @Del mentioned, the older viewers here do love them sageuk

No way its reach 70% rattings, It's 70% share not 70% rattings! you might misunderstand! There's never in my whole life time a drama reaced that 70% HA!! big jokes ever!

@I'm the best
73% share of the particular timeslot. I don't write details and therefore I attached the link which you can check for yourself.

I have no idea but I just know that viewership is higher than MDBC in Singapore.

In any case, this doesn't mean 70% of the population is watching, LOL. Firstly, not all subscribe to cable and both ML and MDBC are shown only on cable channels. Folks here still watch more local shows on free to air than foreign ones on cable.

The number of people watching shows on tv are also declining, some use methods which can't be captured by any rating agency, most watch online. I can't remember the last time I watched a drama on television. One reason is I can't wait for subtitles and the other is even if the show airs just a few hours after Korea, it's still more convenient to watch online which one can do anywhere.

I may be wrong but I guess Moon Lovers probably appeal to the older folks in Singapore who still tuned in on television.

I don't have an antennae that catches the buzz of the latest fave. However, DOTS was really the only huge buzz I remembered. Everyone everywhere was talking about it. Even people who didn't watch or didn't like it.

Agree with all your points. As far as I know, even if the people have cable, it doesn't mean that they have the korean channels - unless they subscribed it with the different packages. Basically that 70% is only in reference to the total no. of people who have the channels - may not be a large no. as compared to the whole population. So I'm guessing it's like saying '70% of people who have tvN, OCN, jtbc watch tvN at that time slot' when the actual ratings are like 1-2%?

Apart from DOTS, Doctors and W were more hyped here as compared to the Moons.

"So I’m guessing it’s like saying ‘70% of people who have tvN, OCN, jtbc watch tvN at that time slot’ when the actual ratings are like 1-2%?"

Yes except that it's probably even lower because I'm sure more Koreans watch cable dramas than Singaporeans watching a Korean cable drama on television.

It's true that it doesn’t mean 70% of the population is watching, because the news article clearly stated that SHR "has achieved over 70% share of timeslot among the four Korean entertainment channels in both of the countries."

However, as far as Singapore is concerned, if someone has subscribed to cable tv, they get the 4 Korean channels since these are included in the basic channels. For Malaysia, the basic channels only include KBS World. You have to pay extra for ONE TV.

Ultimately, the original post/news is about the reception of Korean dramas in some SEA countries. What relevance does this have to Koreans watching cable dramas?

@ET

I can't comment about the first part because i don't know about Malaysian or singapore cable tv system

but the rest of the comment can apply to ratings system in korea as well. so i can say Moonlight appeals to older folks in korea who still tune in on television. that now most people prefer to watch online and that is not captured by ratings.

But at the end of the day as people keep stressing, ratings do matter and Moon lovers is doing great on the international front in them. So lets be happy for the cast that all their work is being appreciated.

@bips99

Don't get me wrong. I have been criticizing Moon Lovers but I have never begrudged the drama enjoying higher ratings than MDBC outside Korea.

You may be right about Moonlight appealing to older folks in Korea who still tune in on television. As @Princess Amira pointed out in her excellent post below, free to air networks are losing the younger viewers to cable. That said, if I am an avid fan in Korea and do not need subtitles, I might watch my favorite drama on television. Why? It's because I must catch it live. Why should I watch on a 13 or 15 inch monitor(assuming more notebooks/tablets than PCs) when I can watch on a 42 inch tv?

I am sorry if I sound like I am not happy about Moon Lovers getting high ratings overseas. It's not my intention. I only join this discussion to add my 2 cents on viewership in my country.

That said, if I am an avid fan in Korea and do not need subtitles, I might watch my favorite drama on television. Why? It’s because I must catch it live. Why should I watch on a 13 or 15 inch monitor

Hmm, I'm not sure, that seems like a personal preference though. I haven't seen anything live on television for maybe a year or two now. Even things that I can watch on TV (and don't need subs for), I prefer watching on my laptop. It's more private than the TV and I can watch it in my room. Even my computer is big-screen, but I still prefer my laptop.

Moon Lovers may not be a huge buzz in Malaysia because as mentioned earlier, Malaysians not really into saeguk and mostly prefer modern drama like DOTS, Doctors and YFAS. Having said that, all latest korean dramas could only be watched via cable TV and that depends on the subscriptions. Means, those watching DOTS on cable tv also watching Doctors and Moon Lovers on cable tv here. And therefore, it is still a great news that the drama is now the most watched korean drama in Malaysia. And let's not mentioned that Moon Lovers topping the list of the most watched drama in many streaming sites despite being simulcasted in various countries. So yes, Moon Lovers is doing very very well on the international front. And actually, no one comparing the achievement on Moon Lovers with Moonlight. It was simply something reported in the Straits Time Singapore.

I've seen this comment like three times already now? I've never read that Moon Lovers have high rating in Malaysia because we don't rate shows here in Malaysia, but we do talk about highly buzzed dramas, which Moon Lovers frankly isn't. And I want to clarify here that Malaysians don't generally love sageuk, we watch if it's interesting but we mostly don't care much for sageuk, which explains why double Moons aren't as hyped as My Love from the Star and Descendants from the Sun.

And to be completely honest, it's unfair to compete both dramas here because Moonlight is severely disadvantaged. One, Moonlight airs in English subtitle, which mean it cannot appeal to older generation who cannot read English, meanwhile Moon Lovers airs in 3 main languages in Malaysia, so everyone who watches can pretty much understand. Two, Moon Lovers is pre-produced, so it can simulcast live here in Malaysia and airs a day early than Moonlight. Three, Moon Lovers is heavily promoted, while Moonlight almost had none. I didn't even see anything about Moonlight on cable tv until AFTER it hits bit in Korea. In fact, they even played Moon Lovers OST over the radio, but not with Moonlight.

thanks for the sensible explanation,
I knew this is a good news for Moon Lovers but it doesn't need to be compared with Moonlight. ML is aired in many places and already sold their right on many television channel around Asia with promo and get dubbed while Moonlight is still the korean drama that aired in korean channel with subtitled in the KBS World Channel ot streaming site for worldwide viewer.

Yep. Not to mention the EXO fandom.

Of course all shows are rated in Malaysia, it's just that the data is not publicly available. That's where the 70% came from. Viewership measurement is essential for advertising sales purposes.

Curiously though, since SHR only airs in a single Astro channel (393) in Malaysia, how did they manage to air in 3 main languages in Malaysia?

Just for info, Moonlight is aired in KBS World which is also shown on tv channels in Asia in the same manner as SHR.

I think the point is Moonlight airs in Tuesday - wednesday 1 day late and with english subtitle without promotion, so it doesn't fair to compare them . Moonlight hasn't aimed for international viewer like moon lovers

The shows in Malaysia are only mentioned if they did well, high rated with no specific number. I dont know how the newspaper got that. But we never have that kind of specific comparison before.

On Astro, you can choose to change the substitle and the audio language. Since Moon Lovers is preproduced, they can provide 3 different languages for viewers to choose. Besides, the same episode can also be aired simultaneously with the one aired in Korea. Moonlight on the other hand, they have to air late to produce the substitle first.

By the way, i dont think Moonlight appeals to viewers here. Youth shows never did that great on television here unless its a family comedy show. Moon Lovers which is more matured and grandious would appeal more. The quality of a show never effect the viewers much as our shows are not that good anyway. Korea spends a lot on their entertainment and our country not, thus the quality like that.

@dia, I think you missed my point which is simply to clarify that:
1) all shows are rated in Malaysia, there is ratings data available.
2) Moonlight is not only aired in the KBS World Channel at STREAMING site for worldwide viewers, but also currently being broadcast on KBS World TV on TV channels in SEA.

I did not compare the 2 dramas, so there's no need to tell me whether it's fair or not.

@Wanne, thanks for the info, Malaysia is so fortunate that Astro allows the viewers to choose to change the subtitles and the audio language. On Starhub, we have to buy the Malay subtitle channel separately.

Yupp, I agree wholeheartedly with your statement. I'm a Malaysian as well but I can't speak for the whole of Malaysia. Lol.
From my point of view, most of my friends are tuning in to MDBC but they need to wait a day later as compared to ML which airs in the same time as in SKorea.
I am happy for ML getting so much love internationally (yay!) despite the dismal ratings but it will be wrong to deny the fact that MDBC is also loved by international fans.
As I said before, LJG is an established actor esp after My Girl (also popular in Malaysia), but what surprised me more is that PBG gained many new international fans after watching MDBC. Hence I don't think it's fair to dismiss MDBC's popularity internationally.

Lol. Everytime Moon Lovers made headline for doing extremely well internationally, then come the comment that Moonlight's popularity on international front should not be dismissed. The problem started off with the article from The Straits Time Singapore, "Moon Lovers' rating is triple of Moonlight..." which actually just to show the reverse effect that the reception in Singapore and Malaysia are a stark contrast that in Korea since these two dramas share the same timeslot. Nobody denying that Moonlight also doing well abroad. It's common that modern dramas get more buzz but aside from Dotsand other modern dramas, Moon Lovers is receiving a lot of attention on social media.

Like Nifty said it was literally reported in the newspaper like that - "ML has triple the ratings of moonlight in singapore". And that is what people quoted. The fandom did not make it up on their own.

The one criticism i constantly heard in the beginning was that the production had catered to international fans and ignored the core korean base therefore the show deserved the low. That was the general sentiment.

Now there are reports that the show is doing well internationally (the supposed audience for which the show was made), then too people rush in to find faults and nitpick. The negativity this show attracts is astounding. What to do? You just can't win.

NIFTY and BIPS99

THIS. I don't think it started with that Strait Times article. The last weeks ratings report have the same comments.

I remember there's one person that said "ML fans are just sugarcoating it's international success. A flop is a flop."

So that Youku 1B and Malaysia and Singapore popularity is sugarcoated? I don't think so.

I agree. The amount of negativity this drama gets is sometimes ridiculous. I'm not talking about the people who note the flaws in the production (I've done it myself many times) but the people who just want to tear it down without any solid argument. But I guess if you have a drama that was promoted this heavily and had Universal and YG put their hands on it, it's a given that there will be a lot more talk about the show - good and bad.

if I may comment, it's Mdbc that getting shade all the tines here but no one like to argue, I've seen plenty of comment about how moon lovers are their crack and they also mention how moonlight just not their taste but for what??
said mdbc is well made but not their tasre and they just like whay they like, for what? for comparison to shade how small the mdbc viewer here,
every time people bring up youku or chinese and said it's no biggie that it loose in korea and I see no one bring up mdbc 120 million view on mango tv and trending at 8 for last month despite low buzz while moon lover at 6 for the hype,
but since no one counter that, we-including me thought that was the truth, that all over asia is crazy about moon lovers before I tried to look it up myself,
so I hope moon lovers fans can take this argument in better view.

The jornalist ofc gonna make headline for clickbait but isn't the commenter above only said that the comparisom can't be calid cause the circumstances are different, no one denied that moon lovers big cause it supposedly big and it's good but bring it up to said that moonlight does bad is like saying primary school student is shorter than high school student,
they just corrected the moon lovers statistic and stated the invalid comparison, it's not about conspiracy to take down moon lovers
good day

@dia

Moonlight is a huge success domestic and overseas. It doesn't need to be explained or compared to any show.
Whatever it's going to make from the overseas market is going to be all profit.
It didn't have a huge budget. The production team was headline by KBS's own people and having their own sageuk set cut the cost of the production in half.

This is great for these young casts and their career. I'd be rooting for them and their future projects.

@dia

You think moonlight is getting shade ? Then you obviously haven't been around here to read what moonlovers has been getting. With moonlovers no one stops without writing in excruciating details an entire thesis on why they think the show sucks. Again and again and again.

If you have been silent all along then i'd say good for you that you did not get in the middle of an ugly spat. But the moonlight fandom has not been silent by any stretch of the imagination.

Every little happy news about moonlovers is derided by them. You are quoting views and trends to support moonlight's success, when we do that then we are called out for sugarcoating a flop.

the show is a flop whether delusional fans admit it or not, the huge comments are nothing but LJK and EXO fanatics, moonlovers are whiny ..... and it goes on and on. And this is just on DB where the comments are civil.

For a show that is on top of the ratings table, some of its fans sure are quick to run down the other show at every given opportunity for some unfathomable reason

Lol. To be fair, both Moons' fans (some, not all) did try to bring down the other Moon.

It is a fact that some ML fans did deny Moonlight's popularity by saying that it's all fluff and question the taste of SK viewers. There's so many forums or sites if you want proof.

On the other hand, there are some Moonlight fans who are feeling dissatisfied with ML's international popularity, so they tend to tone down (dismiss?) the success by saying it's not that valid and that angers ML fans. Even this is seen in so many forums and sites.

Honestly speaking, it's a matter of preference in which everyone has the right to convey their opinions, but it doesn't mean we need to be condescending to prove our points.
Otherwise it will be Doctors and BM fanwars once again. Ugh.

I watched both Moons and I am more inclined towards MDBC but it doesn't change the fact that ML is a good drama (it's not a flop to me unless it has no viewers lol), just a matter of preference. I dropped DOTS as well but I do acknowledge it as a megahit even though I can't connect with the drama.

Gonna end this with the phrase I use daily, if you don't like, don't watch la. Talk so much for what. (Excuse the Manglish). Hahaha.

There do seem to be multiple people who are Malaysian with completely different views; someone above says that it's the talk of the town while MDBC is relatively unknown, someone else says that its not that popular. Seems like, as with everything, it differs from area to area and person to person.

Glad we are going by Korea's ratings. There is no confusion over those numbers.

I was reluctant to comment because I knew it'd cause some sort of rating war, but being a Malaysian, I wanted to clarify some things. I wish fans would just take it as it is and stop being so defensive, no one is trying to putting down the others. Some DO comment that it's the talk of their "town" but it certainly didn't reach my "town", I'm saying Moon Lovers isn't hghly buzzed based on my observation, the last time a Korean drama hit it big here, we could literally SEE it. Everyone would be tuning in and talk about it, and we'd see people selling items off or online things that are shown in the drama, it was literally an obsession. I'm saying I haven't seen that happened for Moon Lovers. And I wanted to explain why the rating may seem so, thus the comment.

If you check on what's trending in Malaysia, yes, Moon Lovers top the trending last week until Brangelina exploded and basically stays in the top 10. So, if not more popular than DOTS, it certainly is more popular than Moonlight. And as someone said above, Malaysians not really into saeguk. But since the drama is cater more to international audience and the heavy promotions, yes, Moon Lovers is definitely buzzing and receiving a lot more attention. BTW, Moonlight also heavily promoted on soompi and Malaysians lurk in soompi a lot too.

All the war that never ends between the two Moon dramas. How I wish those who love Moonlight will stay out from commenting on anything Moon Lovers and those who love Moon Lovers will stay out from commenting on anything Moonlight especially when come to success level. Both opinions will tend to be clouded by your bias and preference. Myself in example, being a Moon Lovers' fan definitely feel elated over the great reception in Malaysia and Singapore and it's not abnormal for the fans of the drama to rejoice about it but the news of such success may not sit well with the fans of other drama. I myself finding it hard why Moonlight is so popular in Korea and reading all those fans raving over the success of their fave drama sometimes appear to be bothersome to me and so I just scrolled and avoid reading something I don't like. I really don't see the needs to debate which drama is better and to suit whose taste or what. At the end of the day, Moon Lovers doing very well internationally and nothing to do and nothing to compare with Moonlight. The success stands alone, for the merit of the drama itself.

Didn't think there was a rating war :p. Some of us are watching both. Happy for the one that did well and sad for the other.

@Kiara I'm one of the people who watch both. I don't want anyone to misunderstand, I wasn't bitter about Moon Lovers' success internationally or what but I wanted to be fair and state what is what. And I've stated only fact, if someone perceive it as biased, well... I couldn't do anything about that.

you take the words out of my mouth,
this is what I wanted to said
>> At the end of the day, Moon Lovers doing very well internationally and nothing to do and nothing to compare with Moonlight. The success stands alone, for the merit of the drama itself.<<

it's a happy news but with having moonlight on the same sentences will trigger things, moonlight fans will always comment when someone mentioned it and I have to say that moon lovers always has their fair share of hater that used monnlight or just hate it because all the popular cast

I'm a Singaporean that don't really love saeguks but still watches them if I like the cast (I loved the king face & sangkyunkwan scandal). Moon lovers is definitely much more popular than moonlight in singapore, not sure about thw ratings but its getting quite some attention on social medias and i can see actors like lee jun ki,kang ha nuel finally getting some attention from singaporeans. (They are not really well known here because our local tv station didnt show much of their dramas on tv). The only really popular and well loved saeguk by singaporean other than moon lovers is probably jewel in the palace and other popular dramas will be modern day dramas such as heirs, you who came from the sun, dots & lets fight ghost

I think there is no comparison to Jewel in the Palace when it comes to worldwide success. Many of us found dramaland through Jewel in the Palace.
57.8% rating is not going to be topped by any drama in our time.

Does anyone know if ratings for cable dramas can be compared fairly? What I mean is that do viewers pay one price for access to the 3 networks - tvN, OCN and JBTC?

No big changes for Mon/Tues slot except that MDBC pass 20% mark. I am more surprised that it didn't go higher. I don't mean the quality but rather it's getting so much raves that I thought it would surge further. Since K2 started, I am reminded that Yong Pal hit 20% by ep 6 and went pass the mark a few times thereafter. Even before it went Crocodile on us, I don't remember such feverish following like MDBC or Doctors. Maybe, Yong Pal viewers are more of ahjummas?

I wish Drinking Solo do better. Who is this Ha Seok Jin? I can't believe I have never watched or noticed him before. But his is not the character I like most. Maybe he will be more enjoyable once his confusion starts.

My midweek is completely empty. I want to try On The Way to the Airport but I can't bring myself to start if it's about romanticizing adultery. I tried JI but can't get past ep 1.

as I knew...
you can only has access to one cable, so you need to choose one between the three..
hope someone can confirm this

Not sure if viewers have to pay one price for tvN, OCN, jtbc but while I was in Korea, I had access to all these cable channels (+ the usual big three + and other channels) from the same cable set-top box. Not sure if they have to subscribe to these channels individually or something.

I suggest giving JI another chance - it gets better and better though.

Well, for as long as you have a cable subscription, you are paying for all the channels you have. Dven the free to air channels.

Part of your subscription is being given by cable companies to the free to air channels. They call it "retransmission fees". It's like those cable companies and the networks are setting up an agreement to retransmit the network programs. And since the networks are licensed to air nationwide, cable companies are, by-law, required to carry the network programs, and pay them the fee. The fee is just minimal, sunce most of the network's income comes from ad sales (or in the case of KBS1TV, License fees).

The huge part part of their cable subscription is the "subscription fee". Since most cable channels are not free, they can charge cable companies a huge amount for broadcasting their programs. Though most cable channels are non-commercial, just like OCN, SBS Plus, KBSN Drama and MBC Dramanet, so paying them huge amount of subscription fee is just reasonable.

Nowadays, there are other cable channels like tvN and MNet (both CJ channels) who charge minimal subscription fee because bulk of their income now comes from ads.

By the way, if you stay at the hotel, you don't have to pay for cable, for it is a part of your hotel fee.

BTW, JTBC, MBN, Channel A and TV Chosun, though only available on Cable and Pay-TV, are not entitled to charge cable viewers subscription fees. That's because they have the same status of a free to air broadcaster. To they are required by law to receive fees from retransmission.

Just read this, thank you again!

So in other words, viewers pretty much have access to all networks and even if they pay subscription, it's minimal.

That's correct!

Retransmission fees are just so minimal, it's like cable subscrivers do not even feel it on their cable bills. Besides , free to air channels and the General cable channels are must carry channels so it will be available regardless of your cable plan.

Thanks Princess Amira for the clarification! I didn't know exactly how cable programming works in Korea, so glad someone had explained it clearly. Frankly, I was staying at a guesthouse that provided cable, so I didn't care much about the subscription fees or anything - I was just happy to be able to channel surf with so many channels available lol.

Omo! You're so lucky, then!

I didn't know OCN is non-commercial. And tvN and JTBC are?
Sounds like tvN is almost becoming a free-to-air channel :D
At the end of the day, I just hope these channels keep their own flavors and most of all, continue to give us quality dramas amidst healthy competition.

Yup! tvN and JTBC airs lots of commercials. Because unlike the network, cable channels are not restricted to either air commercials, or to charge huge subscription fees and not commercials at all.

Seriously, though, tvN and JTBC nowadays air lots of commercials

By the way, cable and free to air ratings cannot be compared. Because although free to air networks still have the chunk of total viewership, they are losing viewers in the coveted 20-49 and 20-59 demographics. It refers to the age group that advertisers love. Just last year, KBS1 was the No.1 channel in South Korea. Sure, it sounds good. But they don't have any reasons to celebrate since they were almost defeated by TVN in the 20-49 category. That means, although KBS1 is the most watched channel, they are skewing elder viewers, and advertisers do not even care about them. Meanwhile, tvN, althogh having overall ratings that is not as high as the networks, is skewing younger viewers better than the networks. In fact, they are selling ad spots to advertisers, with prices that is almost similar to the networks.

Another example is JTBC. Currently, among all the four general cable channels (JTBC, MBN, TV Chosun and Channel A) , JTBC is No.4. In fact, MBN's ratings is 2x higher than JTBC.

However, JTBC's ad sales are almost double than that of MBN, and that is because their ratings in the ad friendly demographics are way above the ratings of MBN, Channel A and TV Chosun COMBINED. So basically, it doesn't matter if a TV network rates well overall. What matters most is their ratings in the demo, becayse that's where the money flows.

Fantastic! @Princess Amira, thanks for sharing all these information. It's really interesting especially about the ratings.

Wow, I learned a lot from your posts, Princess Amira. Thanks!

Maybe just read the recaps for the first four episodes of JI and then skip to episode 5? I find the drama becomes more watchable in its later episodes.

Thanks @junny, maybe I'll try that approach :)