Drama viewership ratings for the week of Apr. 17-23, 2017

It didn’t take long for Whisper to break its own personal record at a whopping 16.0% this week, which leaves the drama poised to maintain first place throughout the remainder of its run. Who knows, at this rate it may even break 20%, and it’d be deserved if so.

Surprisingly, the other Monday-Tuesday shows don’t seem to be suffering much even with most of the viewers heading over to WhisperRebel: Thief Who Stole the People maintained a solid second place with 13.3%, while Perfect Wife languished in the sort of numbers it’s been pulling in during its entire run. They’re not terrible numbers, but they’re not great either.

Mystery Queen saw a drop over in the middle of the week, but it’s still in first place. Poor Saimdang, Light’s Diary didn’t seem to recover well after last week’s pre-emption, but I imagine the execs over at SBS are just holding their breath and waiting for this one to be over. It even got an episode cut, which probably did little to revive interest in the flagging series.

In the cable circuit, Man to Man premiered this week to the highest premiere ratings JTBC has seen for that slot, which marks another success for the network. Meanwhile, Chicago Typewriter continues to be a light success at 2.2%, but that’s not too far off from what tvN has been pulling in lately. (Though I’m sure tvN isn’t much of a fan, but you can’t win ’em all.)

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Apr. 17-23, 2017

Sunday, Apr. 23
Father Is Strange 16 KBS 23.5%
You’re Too Much 16 MBC Pre-empted
Father, I’ll Take Care of You 47 MBC Pre-empted
Tunnel 10 OCN 5.4%

Tags:

Wow, the ratings for Weds-Thurs dramas, just wow. Maybe most people are busy mid-week to watch dramas.

I hope for Chicago Typewriter's ratings to keep on increasing because it's definitely a great Show. From writing to directing to acting, it feels so RIGHT!

Agree on CT. I feel good epi 6 increased a bit than epi 5. Feel like this drama has already more than halfway of its run, because so many things revealed already.

Yeah I'm glad that the ratings went up and not down! Hope it keeps this trajectory. 화이팅 CT! ?

Possibly there is no drama that can pull people in Wed Thurs.
Last, DOTS with average rating 30% that could do it.
LOTBS and Chief Kim also have good ratings, but their average is still under 20%.
Maybe Ruler Master of the Mask and While You Were Sleeping could make people back to watch Wed Thur slot.
But usually, if there is a drama that have ratings above average, other will be have possibility to have dismal rating.
Honestly, I prefer if rating between dramas is not too far. Like difference between Louie, OTWTTA and JI just around 1%. There is no dominating. Dismal rating, maybe will make the cast and crew discouraged.

The ratings for the Wednesday dramas dropped across the board (7.7% for MQ+6.1% for SLD+4.4% for RO or a total of 18.2%), because the presidential debates aired at the same time over at KBS1 (26.4%, the second most-watched show on April 19). You may notice that the drama ratings recovered the next day.

The last time the total for the three rival dramas was this low was on October 15, 2014 (8.6% for My Spring Days, 5.7% for My Lovely Girl, 4.1% for Iron Man or 18.4% all in all).

Completely agree with the middle of the week statement!! I watch the Mon-Tues dramas when they air but for Wed-Thurs I'll wait til Thursday or Friday night

I'm beginning to wonder if average Korean viewers are any better than Average American Idiot.

I want Chicago Typewriter to do better! With scandals around production process (PD suicides, actors not getting paid), it is really important for companies to think how to get better viewership both in Korea and abroad.

Also I really would pay and watch my favorite dramas legally online if it was available in my region (Europe). There should be a better options to streams dramas online throughout the world. Netflix Kdrama something like that - it would allow production companies to earn revenue despite low ratings. Pre-produced show can have subtitles released in advance too to make the process simultaneous.

This really irritates me. I would gladly pay a little to watch dramas if they were available in my region, but they hardly ever are. And often the english subs are sub-standard..

NetFlix and Hulu in the US both have quite a few k-dramas. Don't know the situation in Europe.

Netflix UK has quite a lot of kdramas-surprisingly enough. ?

Hulu doesn't have as many as they used to. There's barely any there. Honestly neither does Netflix.

Tunnel ???

Good news for Tunnel fans. Tunnel breaks its personal record again. ??????

I guess that rating jump lands it as the OCN's highest rated drama. ✨축하해 !✨

Funny how Man to Man got 4.1% for both eps.

I'm so happy for Mystery Queen! The dynamic duo deserves all the viewership!

Yes. I'm glad they have double digits. I hope they can maintain the quality, especially three weeks later will come two new competitors.

Perfect Wife, Whisper, Saimdang and Tunnel - all these shows I put on hold. I am enjoying it, but I better marathon it later once they are finished. PW I stopped at epi 14, maybe because I think the show should be done at 16 epi instead of 20.

Man to Man & Chicago Typewriter seems to be my new drama crack.

My Secret Romance - I seriously want to love it because of Sung Hoon, but I wished his partner will be a better actress. This is not a show which requires top notch acting, but what made 1% of Something worked succesfully despite of the cliche story because of the leads - from the acting and chemistry. I am Sung Hoon's fangirl but he alone wont enough to make me stay until the end. They should cast someone underrated yet talented who is yet to be given fair chance. For eg Yang Jin Sung (Seol's best friend in Chicago Typewriter) will make this role more believeable. I am not being so picky, but we have so many good actressess who is still queing for lead role.

I'm currently watching My Secret Romance as well. The actress look a bit green, but I guess it will get better? (I believe it will get better. It will. I hope). My love for Sung Hoon still enough to make me watch the drama and I really hope it's going to get better eventually. The romance is cute though, so I stay for that and Sung Hoon~

I love the good romance drama, so hopefully she gets better.

I didn't think the leads are that good, serviceable at best. But it's only two episodes in, so I can't be sure. Maybe they will get better once they are more familiar with each other's acting style and everything.

Sung Hoon wasn't enough to keep me invested either. 1% of Something was much better produced than this. All aspects- camera work, lighting, sound, dialogue-seem low quality compared to the other show and I have a hard time believing they come from the same people. I really was excited about this one before it aired.

Is it from the same writer? I now it is from the same PD. I didnt have high expectation on the plot, but considering the buzz and promotions they gave us, this should be at least entertaining romance drama. Sung Hoon needs a female lead who acts better so his weakness can be covered. This drama sounds like another Noble My Love, that I dont know I like it or not.

it's almost exactly like "Noble My Love" except that it's loooooonger. I see the little video clips on Instagram trying to draw me in to watch "My Secret Romance" but then I remember how much I did not really like the short(er) Noble My Love and that's enough to keep me away.

I'll stick with watching the cute 2mins videos of the main scenes, thank you very much

Exactly my thoughts. I don't mind some low budget cute fluff, but this is so much worse than 1% of Anything in every way. I found the characters much more believable in that show.

Wut!? It can't be the same writer! Maybe same PD as Sera pointed out.
I'll wait and read the comments for more episodes before I decide whether I should continue.

Completely agree.

For example, I remember 1% having some sound effects, but they were not this frequent or out-of-place. Maybe because the actors' delivery justified the few moments they used them? And, while the editing wasn't perfect in that show either, it had some really nice qualities to the directing. I definitely liked the music more. But, most importantly, the refreshing dialogues between the lead characters are missing from this (so far). That said, this is only beginning so I'm willing to give it an episode or so more.

I agree. I watched ep 1 and thought, it wasn't that bad. I was interested. But ep 2 is really not well produced, acted, written etc. I have a very high tolerance for fluffy rom-coms. I know a lot of people don't like the traditional old school rich boy-poor girl dramas, but I do. I have watched plenty of tw dramas and so am watching them... and like others have said, when the chemistry is right between the leads, I like it as much as the best produced/written k-drama or US drama. That being said, I can deal with poorly written dramas. However, I find Sung Hoon - and I like him enough - doesn't really have the presence in episode 2 to keep me interested. But its just two episodes in... this is my kind of drama so I'm going to stick it out. :) I love my rom-coms - and this even prompted me to rewatch the k-version of FTLY.

It does look like a very low budget kdrama - particularly caught my attention in ep 2. I thought ep 1 was ok.

I tried Secret Romance 1st episode. I went into it not knowing who Sung Hoon is ? He's cute but the writing is seriously cliche. I was expecting something like 1% of Anything but it wasn't. It reminds me of those Taiwanese rom coms. They can still entertain despite being nothing new but they need to have enough laughs and most importantly crazily good chemistry between the leads.

Yep, basically the appeal of tw rom coms is the leads' chemistry and (hopefully) some decent acting. To be fair though, most tw rom coms these days have far better production values than MSR though they're still drowning in cliches. ?

I have not watched a TW rom com for the longest time. MSR reminded me of Fated To Love You(TW). I loved that show despite the cliches and messy 2nd half. The thing about TW rom coms is that when they do it right, I find them even more satisfying than Korean rom coms.

I have watched Sung Hoon in several drama from New Tale Of Gisaeng, and I can assure he keeps improving. He was so stiff in that Gisaeng's drama.

MSR should just be a webdrama with around 15-20 mins each epi so viewers will love it more. Or special drama with 2 or 4 epi something like that.

For this kind of this cute and cliche drama they should cast someone like Kim Seul Gi - Yoon Do Joon as the pairing, to be more entertaining. Seriously from Ha Suk Jin - Jeon So Min awesome pairing, this pairing looks awkward.

Ha Suk Jin and Jeon So Min's chemistry is out of this world ???

Yaaaaaaaas!! I need more Kim Seul Gi- Yoon Doo Jun in my life!! They are perfection for light and fluffy.

I agree MSR is drowning in cliches, and I thought it is rather dated in terms of everything. But I still watch it because I feel a sense of nostalgia for this type of dramas - it is quite similar to the old Taiwanese shows that feature rich guy-poor gal tropes.

RIP TLAHL ratings. lol.

Ratings are down, comments are up.

million dollar question should be, which should one prefer.... I wonder.

I'm curious though, I thought My secret romance aired last week. The ratings aren't on here though. Also, I'm still hoping CT does better (it really is an awesome drama!) and that man to man keeps doing really well :).

I am also watching My Secret Romance, and am interested in their ratings as well. Soompi doesn't seem to have the ratings either.

It's possible that the ratings are so low that the Nielsen website doesn't show them. I think the Nielsen website only shows the Top 20 for each time slot. But for some reason the site isn't working for me now so I can't be sure.

Not sure if it was because it was under 20, or just did not get the results in time to post.

I am watching it so far, kind of cute even though it seems to be following the all too common "rich chaebol vs poor Cinderella" trope yet again. I will give it another couple of episodes - the first two episodes almost always are just the "setup phase", after that it seems that most dramas get better or worse. Hard to tell from just the first two.

I guess that on Wensday, the dramas were affected by the Presidential Debate which rated 26.4% in the same time slot.

I'm happy for Man to Man, hope it does better and break JTBC's highest rating's record!

Why are CT ratings so low? I only watched the first two episodes but I really liked it, it has this different feel to it and I love the music, hope the ratings go up!

Currently watching, enjoying, and loving the heck out of Tunnel and Chicago Typewriter. Great writing, directing, and acting. ?

Me too both shows are my favorites atm.

Tunnel keeps get better and better each episode, so many details they dont leave a tiny thing without an explanation, i love everything about it, this show I consider one of the intelligent writing.

Yes, me too. I love Tunnel and it's been doing really great with keeping the suspense alive, and the reveals are so satisfying!

Does anyone else think Medical Examiner is suspicious? Maybe he is the 1986 killer

I thought the same thing for a second but I doubt it. He's still too young I think.

oh man, both Man to Man and Chicago typewriter make me laugh so hard this week. Thanks for making my weekend better after had to carried out my work for the whole week. Hope the rating will be better.

I can't believe that CT ratings are so low! The show is SO good!

Isn't 2% already big for a cable channel? Well, it's not as big as Goblin but compared to the ratings of TLAHL, CT is doing okay.

Perhaps tvn have post-Goblin syndrome which everyone is expecting higher rating show after huge successful promoting of Goblin. Even after ISJ comeback from dramaland with high quality actors (YAI and GJP) will not guarantee high rating...
Well, previous writernim works also not much high rating (KMHM only 10% average) but it does not mean much to SK viewers ( mostly int fans coveted KMHM so much). As for me, CT is perfect for my kdrama fav ( story-wise and beautiful cinematography). I will continue to support and watch CT (those who saying 2% rating is ok but I guess it is not for tvn, they are better player and much quality drama).

because tvn is 2%, ocn is 5%, jtbc 5%. tvn comes last. Thats never happen before. Such a game changer year. Even the line up for tvn are all great actors but its gonna be something different to claim its crown.

Like its predecessor, Tomorrow With You, I think it took some time for CT to kick it into gear (I didn't really get into it until the 3rd leg - Yoo Jin Oh - showed up in front of Se Joo) and the fantasy/mystery aspect may not be very accessible to the viewers. It is a drama with an unconventional hero who isn't very likable.

I am in love with CT and Tunnel.
But I am a little disappointed with CT's ratings. The actors have done such a superb job.
Man to man looks promising as well..

I am disappointed with CT's ratings as well. It is a superb piece of cinematography, and the writing is also quite good.

I love Tunnel too. I love how the build up of the emotions and revelations in each episode.

It seems like TVN is burned out and that is why part of its audience shifted to other cable channels and increased their ratings. Ratings wise nothing spectacular happened this week. Everyone is maintaining their own place and their is new Man in this market.

Very happy to Whisper- hope it continues to rise

Chicago Typewriter deserves more love. Ep 6 was my favorite yet. I'm having some Weightlifting Fairy flashback with these ratings :(

Wow, Sister is Alive is doing badly considering how Our Gap-soon was such a sleeper hit. SBS's family drama slots are dead in the water for the past few years, aren't they?

Our Gap Soon also started with low rating (single digit). SBS strategy to air two episodes back to back seems worked for Our Gap Soon, so it is probably will work with Sister Is Alive too. I see it is coming especially the competitors MBC drama (both Father I'll Take Care of You and You're Too Much) are not doing great as well.

It will take a while to increase rating in weekend drama. I'm surely that it will hit at least 15%.

I watched the first two episodes of Sister, and so far give it a 5/10 rating. So far it seems like a throwback to the same old over the top makjang dramas, with utterly ridiculous plots and plot holes. I may try the next two, but so far am totally not impressed.

It is because it comes from makjang writer who wrote Temptation of Wife, Jang Bori is Here, Geum Sa Wol etc.. LOL. Knowing it is makjang, I still watching it. Maybe because with this kind of drama, we already can guess where it will goes, so nothing to expect. Less expectation,less frustration.

Maybe the low ratings mean that nowadays the Korean public is less interested in dramas about performers and writers and more about social and political issues?

*low ratings of Liar and CT.

I really enjoyed Man to Man. It has crazy characters, action, interesting plot, and a promise of romance. It was just fun to watch.

Call me bias but of all my current shows, Radiant Office has the best writing and acting. A very close second would be Super Family 2017. I'd like the ratings to go up but I don't really care anymore because the show is delivering on quality.

I haven't caught enough of Chicago Typewriter to make any opinion. Same goes for Mystery Queen.

I've watched the latest episode of Tunnel and somehow the ending was disappointing to me. I loved this show so much last week so it's quite a bummer.

Rebel seems to be hovering steadily at mid 13 since Defendant ended. I hope Gil Dong and Hong Avengers will up their game in a big way this coming week. At this moment, I don't see much difference in their transformation.

But i quite enjoyed the ending though ...and the creepy smile of the doctor was the moment of the episode for me ☺

I think I was the only one who didn't like it? Maybe I just thought show had been hinting at it so much that it was a red herring. I want the show to be ahead of its viewers and this feels the opposite. Not sure if I make any sense ?

Hi, I know what you mean...
I love the show and it is my favourite show currently however I also feel that show is made in a way that as viewers we are getting a lot of "in your face" type hints so when an actual revelation happen then it is not a big surprise for an attentive viewer; the surprise is in the fact when and how each reveal of crucial info happens and what is the reaction of main characters to it...
I also found this a bit disappointing at the beginning but I noticed that this is consistent approach through the series so far (not only once or twice due to mistake in writing)... So, I just accepted this as the style of the show and enjoying it as it has been made. I find this is one difference where Signal did this better - on that show most of the crucial reveals the viewers learned at the same time with the main characters.

So happy for Mystery Queen and Whisper,.. these 2 dramas are my fav,

Me too!!

I wasn't sure about Chicago Typewriter but the last two episodes were a game changer for me. Now that the ghost has been revealed and the past lives connection has been clearly made, I'm sold.

Yes! This! Now that all the cards are laid out in the open, what will the writer do? Will he seek out Seol and write the story together with Yoo? Or will he just write it with Yoo?

happy that tunnel and man to man got good ratings..those are the only two shows i really care about at the moment

Why aren't people talking about Radiant Office? I think that show is really great. It has slowly become my knack for the week when it doesn't even have anything spectacularly amazing! But i guess that is the whole loint of the show. Though they have low ratings and not so famous actors i think the drama is really nice!

Radiant Office is really a good drama. I have read some complaints - like this is slow drama, nothing really happen, annoying female lead, no romance etc.

But I am perfectly fine with this tone. It suits my taste. Better have actors with average popularity who act well rather than the popular ones but cannot act. Shows like this drama and Super Family 2017 should always be produced.

Shows like this drama and Super Family 2017 should always be produced.

Amen! I enjoy both shows very much. Thanks to your recommendation, I started Super Family and it never fails to bring laughter or a smile to my face every week.

These days, I appreciate shows whereby 'nothing big' happens but address the issues we face in life. Dramas that have popular actors who can't really act tend to rely on popularity and hype to drive it. Or if they are good, the drama hinges solely on their performance and chemistry to keep going like SWDBS.

I'm with you. I'm really enjoying Radiant Office; it's the show I look most forward to every week, surprisingly. I hadn't even planned to watch it originally, but I'm glad I decided to give it a try! It's definitely a more character-driven show, so some people might find the plot lacking, but since I really like the characters (especially the Suicide Squad!) that aspect doesn't bother me.

All my shows (Whisper, Mystery Queen, Tunnel, Father is Strange, Man to Man) are doing well in their timeslots but they don't seem as popular on this site

High five man! Except for Whisper, I am watching all the shows you have listed. I have spoken enough of MQ, Tunnel, MTM in these and other threads, but not Father is Strange. FIS is daebak!! I love the most recent episodes. Not sure if you have watched them, but I am not going to spoil them for you. Love Papa Byun's understated acting as the head of the family. I can't wait for Lee Joon to be integrated into the family and fall in step with the rest of them.

Father is Strange is my favorite show at the moment!! Same here, Lee Joon's entrance will certainly shake up the family. The story line isn't that original for a family drama but the actors make everything in the show seem so real. Like in the beginning episode when the siblings got into a fight with each other and had to be put on time out. This show is just amazing

i agree with what you said. I love this show because everything about it is so understated, and best, not makjang. I can totally believe such a family living right next door to me. Their interactions with one another are so natural, and their chemistry is so on point it feels so real. Even their conflicts are played out so beautifully and handled with so much maturity. Okay, sometimes, there is a little immaturity here and there for the laughs, but most of the time, the characters handle it with maturity. They constantly communicate with one another without yelling at each other, and they always put one another in the others' shoes. Daebak!!

Father is Strange - it is so refreshing to see a good functional family in weekend drama. No unnecessary yelling, and everyone in the family know their own tasks. And I found the family and siblings group chat cute. ? I started to slowly like Ahn Jo Hee lately and looking forward how he will mature by living in the family. One thing for sure, the siblings esp Hae Young and Ra Young wont leave him easily lol.

It's like JTBC is hitting gold and tvN is slowly returning to normal pace again.

Agreed!! The other cable channels are doing extremely well and tvN just isn't. But i have hope that their ratings will get better with the thrillers coming coming out (Circle, Forest of Secrets)

i'm so sad over "The Liar and his Lover's" ratings. this drama deserves so much more love than it's getting. really curious why the ratings are so low. the acting is pretty good all around, storyline is tight, OTP has sizzling chemistry, what is missing? why isn't it getting better ratings? :(

I hope Chicago typewriter's rating bumps up. It's currently my favorite show!

I am loving Man to man! After you go past the rather confusing story flow of the first episode to give our hero's background the second episode is much more fun to watch. And the quality of the shoots! Loving all the actors. Man to man fighting!!

I'm happy for Rebel thief who stole the people. I hope it hits higher ratings..

I'm totally surprised at the low ratings for Chicago Typewriter. I'm loving several shows right now: Whisper, Tunnel, Rebel but CT us my crack drama. It's so quirky, intelligently written, acted, and filmed that it makes me take a deep breath of joy. Definitely Yoo Ah In's best role ever and - WOW - the music!

Today is April 25, 2017, I have tried to find the Man to Man with Park Hae Jin on VIKI and DramaFever it's not on either. Does anyone know where it is showing. I love Park Hae Jin.