Swingchair – “Hallyu Star”Download ]

Hello Beanies! Had a visit with my oncologist yesterday. He's stumped. But the good news is that my CT scan showed that the cancer is "the same" as it was 3 months ago and not growing slowly like it has been since December. Meh, glass half empty, half full. But "the same" is better than "growing like wild fire," so I've decided to be happy about it.
On a non-medical note, I'm going to introduce Kim Soo Hyun as a character in the next episode of my Korean toon, "Everybody loves Ramen." I need a couple of more villains before IU gets her final lead man love. Any suggestions?

Have you thought about using Integrative or alternative medicine approaches in trying to keep the cancer at bay? I mean, not as treatments but as supplementary methods after surgery, chemo and or RT.
"....so I've decided to be happy about it"--that's the best attitude to have. All the best.

Thanks. We were doing wheat grass--until I just couldn't drink it any longer. (My husband even grew it in the back bedroom for about 5 months.) But we still juice and I've always had a fairly strict diet, since I have so many foods and chemicals that give me migraines. I eat mostly plant based and I only eat what I make. (It's sever, but it's worth it, because I used to get so many nausea inducing, knife-in-the-eye, please kill me now, headaches. And since I did the food elimination diet about 15 years ago, I don't any longer.)

While I realize that you aren't a dog... take a look at the Navy Protocol. I came across this when looking for a friend - it might be worth trying a people version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angiogenesis_Foundation

I hope it all goes well!

@ Wag_a_Muffin

I agree with @ KDaddict?JCW. My mum-in-law had cancer and the treatment was debilitating. She counteracted it with Chinese/herbal medicine. She seems fully recovered now (it's been over 6 years).

No growth is good news!!! Yes, the positive mental attitude keeps us healthier and helps our cure better than the opposite.

Villains??? You want to get the 'cute' looking ones to be villains?

I pick my latest 'crush', Lee Won Keun (Sassy Go Go)
and Infinite's L.

Good choices. (Won Keun is young, but a noona romance might not be a bad idea.)

Wag_a_muffin -

I'm glad you've decided to be happy about the medical news. It's good news indeed and your attitude is the best!

Sending positive thoughts and good wishes your way. :)

No growth is good news Wag_a_Muffin. :) I know it may be hard sometimes to 'always' do this, but try your best at focusing your energy on the positive and being hopeful.

Love your positive attitude. Am sure you will beat cancer you have the willpower. I don't know about any cancer treatments, not helpful i know, just get well soon:)

I will check your webtoon and yes villain suggestions-Lee Soo Hyuk, Jisoo, and joon-hee of R97(don't remember his real name).

Be happy, healthy and get well soon. Take care!!

Lee Soo Hyuk might be perfect (since I'm looking for someone tall for Stephanie Lee.) Thanks.

oh yeah, Lee Soo-hyuk makes a GREAT villain. We literally just saw that.

Wag_a_muffin:
No growth is definitively a good thing, *coming from someone with a family history of cancer*. Hope things will improve and that you and your family can keep up the courage!

..So I've decided to be happy about it..

I'll be praying and cheering you from afar, dearest..
Be happy, dear.. Always be happy. Whenever you need hugs and cheers, just remember that you're loved by many there, wherever you are, and here too.. *hugs*

Thank you for all the well wishes. (I didn't realize I was first. I just looked and saw "Open Thread" and posted.)

Wag_a_muffin ~
Just stopping in to say hi, love the "Everybody Loves Ramen" title to your toon~ As far as villains, the one in I Can Hear Your Voice was up there (or down there, more accurately) as far as they go.
I'm cheering you on looking at that half full glass!

Good vibes your way. ?

Agree with owl – "Everybody Loves Ramen" is a great name. Though if you're going Korean, it should probably be Ramyun.

@Wag_a_Muffin - I'm glad to hear that your cancer hasn't grown, and I hope things get better.

If you want villain suggestions, how about Lee Joon from Gap-dong? I think an attractive young man makes quite a different style of villain, probably because their looks might initially mean they get seen as non-threatening .....until it's too late.

@Wag_a_Muffin: Fighting! All the very best; I hope you have even better news soon.

@pogo: Haha telepathy :) . Him and Jung Woong-In in I Hear Your Voice are two of the creepiest villains I remember. Though Jeon Kwang-Leol in Masked Prosecutor was pretty impressive too...

Your positive attitude goes a long way, hats off to you!! Please continue to get your regular checkups.

You're a fighter and We'll be cheering for you all the way! Thanks for the Korean toon :)

Have a great weekend!!

Hi Wag_a_Muffin, I get a MRI next week to see if my Metastatic Breast cancer (stage iv) is under control. I have mets in my spine from the BC. I think you should be happy about no progression. Cancer really messes with your head doesn't it? All the pink this month is getting to me. The sexualization of BC-stuff about saving tatas, etc is so messed up. You can die of MBC with two boobs intact, Men get it too. Thank god for kdrama because it is such a great escape. Good luck with the toon.

All the best to you Ellen. Praying for you.

Good thoughts to you too. (Cancer: a club you get to belong to that you never wanted to join.)
But I feel an instant kinship with anyone who's going through it or who has gone through it.

And yeah, it definitely messes with the mind. This is the 3rd time I've had it. And when I told my GP "I think it might be my cancer came back because it's on the same side, just in my lung," he just pooh-poohed my premonition. I was almost glad when a pulmonary surgeon drained my lung and verified that the fluid was cancerous. (I thought about, but didn't say "nyah nyah, See? I was right" to him. I think I would have rather said, "you were right. It was asthma/pneumonia/a bad cough--or any of the other things he made me test for before I got the diagnosis--even though I thought he was an idiot for not listening to me.)

I'm positive, yes. But I'm also SO sarcastic.
"Fighting" to you and your battle!

Ellen, my thoughts are with you.

And yes, Kdrama is not just an escape but a source of warm fuzzies and laughs, which can be very comforting and healing. Not to mention all the times we see great food, which can certainly help with the appetite!

No growth is definitely good news! Keep fighting & Good Luck!

I'm not sure what kind of villain you're looking for but by going from Kim Soo Hyun why not add Kim Woo Bin to the villain group?

Wag_A_Muffin,

I'm sending my best thoughts and wishes your way.

Though I work with cancer patients, and had my own scare plus surgery this year, I would never assume I know what you should do, or how you may feel. But I do know the value of choosing to be happy, and oh yes, the sarcasm! Sometimes it's your best weapon in dealing with doctors. Doctors are told in med school, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." Essentially, you felt like you had a zebra, and your GP said, "No, that's just a horse." Gaah! I'm glad you got some follow up. So for you, I'm going to imagine lassoing that zebra, tying it up and sending it far, far away. Be good to yourself, and let others be good to you. :)

Isn´t today Open thread day?
ah, I almost forgot.
I am not feeling too well. I hope it will be all right.... something in my stomach, been

anyway, trying to write in my blog right now. about things that are conventionally seen as unattractive that someone can see as beautiful. Or things that are considered unattractive for no good reason.

I myself have the quirk of seeing crooked eyes as irresistably charming... I wonder if they are actually uncomfortable to the person in any way, then I am admiring something negative. And I really like all the supermodel-quirks, like special shape of noses that 70% of koreans would want to correct. I like personality more than conventional beauty standards. I am a bit iffy about freckles - they are not always cute. But gimme elf eyes or a Cyrano nose or disproportionately long faces with distinct bones... or people who look like story book characters. so charming. oh and do you know that movie... um... there was Val Kilmer in it, I think...
The only thing I can´t like is admiring obesity though, cause seriously, people in their 20ies might indeed say it does no harm, but a 20-something is healthy regardless of shape and habits. Reach 35 and trouble will come. It takes some time for age to affect you, y´know. I think it is just a little bit short-sighted, this so called plus size worshipping, that actually means pathologically obese. I only see people who find excuses instead of living in reality. Liars. Just like Ha Ri.

Watching She Was Pretty - it is true we want to squeeze cute things. I want to squeeze Shin Hyuk. He is a goof, but he has depth and he is so human. I love it. Siwon is fantastic in this part. I would watch a 160 episode sitcom with this character, why must he go to the army? there should be a spin-off "Shin Hyuks professional weirdness.

And seriopusly, Hwang Jung Eum looked prettier before. I am in Shin Hyuks´ Party here. Why, Jackson?

Now all we are lacking is a cameo by Ji Sung / Yo Na calling Seung Joon "famous author Oh Ri On" or chasing him around.

RE: She Was Pretty--I do miss Hye-Jin's old look--she looks beautiful and styled now, of course, but more generically pretty. But still, in terms of story, I have no problem that she changed--because she changed for herself first and foremost, and the two guys vying for her affection already cared for her deeply beforehand, and the look hasn't seemingly changed their behavior except to make SH miss his "Jackson's old look."

Speaking of Shin Hyuk, he's one of the most fleshed-out second leads I've seen in recent history. Usually second leads are blandly perfect before they turn unreasonable or evil (kinda like where Ha-Ri has gone), but SH here is not a one-dimensional perfect guy who only loses out on the girl because the primary lead is FATED FIRST LOVE. He speaks his mind, is goofy, thoughtful, and funny, and he is a FRIEND to HJ, which is so important, too. He has helped her change without thinking she needed to change. The writers have actually given him a lot more traits of a main lead, save for the the tortured past (at least so far), but the lead couple's chemistry is doing a lot to keep that ship afloat. At this stage in the story, I do actually like both potential couplings, though it's kind of duh who HJ will end up with (unless the writers Mirae's Choice us! UGH!).

aah mirae's choice, that's show questioning my sense of time,

Ah Mirae's choice. I was so dissapointed with the end. I was ready to like both pairings (and I did) but I was also ready to have proper reasons for why she tried a change, and to get a conclution. Not what we got.

I was thinking about picking up She was pretty, but I ight hold out untill the end to see if it will be worh it.

but he does sort of have a tortured past. Shin hyuk. with his little sister.

wait i thought the little sister was his poodle??

oh was it?

I think they handled her "makeover" well, nothing drastic. For the scene at home she isn't wearing make-up. She is still wearing comfortable clothing, mostly pants. No mini skirts and stilettos. She did it to give herself a self confidence boost for her return. She did it for herself on her own initiative, though after some "Most Like " comments.

Second leads do get stuck in the friend zone more often than not. While Shin Hyuk did recognize his feelings early on and make a declaration of sorts, he let it go as joking. He missed his opportunity to be acknowledged as a suitor if there was ever a chance..

redfox -

A cameo by Ji Sung anywhere is always a good idea.

hi superfox,

Siwon is absolutely fantastic as Shin Hyuk, our "goof with depth." I love how he takes a bird's ye view of the big picture and is proactive in helping to set things straight (since the players have such a hard time doing so themselves). He is straightforward and makes me wonder why the truth is so hard to live out? I love that Shin Hyuk is there to face Ha Ri's physical manifestations of guilt and bad choices with her when she collapses. He can read everyone's mail and is the type of person who you (the one whose mail he reads) don't dislike for doing so. He'd make a pretty darn good boyfriend, too !

he is totally my soulmate, in that people think me weird, but I am quite observing, and therefore straightforward, which not everyone likes. and joking is just a way to smooth some corners between people.

AH I forgot to say: my dad is in China with Estonian National mens´ Choir, they have concerts in Shanghai and ...not Beijing. i can´t remember. Anyway, first impression is taxi fare is cheaper than a cup of coffee? true? and big contrasts everywhere. But gorgeous town, they say.
hope he won´t losemy camera I lent him

So, who has braved the first 4 eps of Glamorous Temptation? I watched the first episode and thought it was bad with the potential to be really horrible. I was briefly VERY amused when the female lead 's husband in a prequel segment was played by Lee Jae Yoon, who played Detective Jang the second male lead in Choi Kang Hee's previous show Heart to Heart. But that amusement faded quickly. The bad situations heaped on her (and really the male lead too) were SO unrealistic it made me think the train was already off the rails and then it ended implying there was going to be a massive flashback to the leads back when they knew each other in school. And I just thought "noooo save yourself" and watched The Village instead. But I'm really curious what other people thought.

In other news: very pressed we only got 1 ep of She Was Pretty this week. And it might happen again next week too (though that would even out the episode pairings.)

I liked Glamorous temptation! love the childhood times! it seems like a weekend kind of drama, makjang style but i am all for it!

I did!! *raises hand*

Okay so I'm a sucker for makjang's and I was fully aware getting into this show that it's going to be a horrible messy roller coaster that'll probably make me pull my hair out - and yeah, it sort of has been thus far....haha....I do have to give it to them though, the OST is absolutely beautiful, I love the way it's also being filmed and I can't say I'm not intrigued by the plot...there was a lot of stuff going on in the four episodes that kept me hooked even though our lead female had problem after problem....reminded me of Secret sort of...anyway I'm going to keep watching!

Well as ridiculous as it is, I liked ep 1 haha.. I know it's makjang all the way..
I'll have to watch more eps to decide whether I would want to spend 6 months of it or not... :D

I think what killed it for me was "We did a DNA test but come identify THE HAND!"

I also liked the first episode though the actors (minus the older ones) seemed a bit off. I'm sure they all need some time to adapt to this particular genre. Yes, the identification of the hand was oddly horrifying but I thought of it as a standard procedure (well, this is a "déjà vu" from Mask and the identification of Ji-sook's body), so, I didn't pay more attention. Six months is a long, long time and anything can happen, right?
PS. Heart2Heart is a good drama with excellent acting. The first 8 episodes must be among the best of the whole year. The OTP is simply fantastic and *spoiler* they didn't know each other from school, they were just playing together because they were of the same age and her grandmother was working at his house. Though I don't like patronising and all that annoying "Why didn't you like that drama? Are you all right or is it something wrong with your head?" discussion, I really believe H2H deserves one more chance,- at least, for the OTP's sake and for that fantastic director. ;-)

Alessar ~

I watched the first three episodes, waiting on number four to be fully subbed.

Sure the melo is at overdose level, but I'll probably continue watching. At 50 eps, no telling what will happen.

Hello Everyone and Happy Weekend!

Summary of discussions on Couple Chemistry in Shows

Thank you everyone who played in last week’s OT in my ‘survey’ on what we think chemistry is and who has/had it. I started by asking why it was that in some shows I saw little or no chemistry that others saw. My first thoughts: … I’m missing something here…. or is it a matter of interpretation? …. is there a right answer as in there is or there isn’t chemistry?... or is there more than one answer?

What’s been discussed last OT, more or less ….
*Chemistry is indefinable or hard to fully define… it is based on how right we feel a couple are for each other, how we interpret what they ‘feel’ for each other, whether they look compatible, whether even after a show is over we want them to be together even in RL and every combination of these aspects.

* Show producers put in effort to give viewers characters that will have chemistry… they can tell if there is or isn’t chemistry regardless of who the actors are, usually during the casting process. They also can and do ensure the right mood music, lighting, camera angles etc etc to augment the chemistry for viewing. However, even this does not guarantee that we get natural chemistry oozing and sparking at the viewers because real people interactions can have an effect on natural chemistry.

* Actors are supposed to work at creating chemistry, ie at acting it. Whether they have it or not with their fellow actors, their job is to do their best to convince viewers that they have it with that other actor. Sometimes only half of the pair is able to do it.

* Viewers will be viewers. They can interpret chemistry any way they like. For them it can be a mixture of subjective ‘feels’ and the recognition of the technical aspects that went into making the chemistry happen or it can just be purely subjective. Hence the remarkable occurrences of people saying there was so much chemistry among couples where I saw none.

* There is also the element of whether a show has generated positive vibes, in the viewers, for the characters. It is possible that what viewers think is chemistry between characters, may in fact be more that they feel positive towards those characters, than that the characters are full of chemistry with each other. IE we just like those characters (and see them as people) and we want them to be ‘happy’. We might then impute a lot more to any interactions of characters based on how we feel about them.

Did your views get expressed in this summary?

Hello @growingbeautifully - I am not always able to keep up with db content - so much good stuff - and I enjoy your questions. I don't know if I missed it in earlier threads (if so, maybe you could direct me) but I would like a discussion about how subtitles affect ELO (English language only) watchers. It's my understanding that Korean sentences can be said multiple ways in English. I am watching a drama now where I have loved some of the dialogue - and how much of that is the script writer vs. the subtitler?? On a site like Viki where fans do the subs I can imagine the latitude. Do drama writers ever cooperate/collaborate with professional subbers? (Is there a technical title for that job?) I see this question as having an effect on perception of acting too... because an ELO watcher has to read while watching and a poorly delivered line of great dialogue is going to get the writer's/subber's credit. That works vice-versa too. (That said, some of my discernment changes on second watchings because since I already know the words I can give my attention to the acting.) Would love open discussion - maybe next open thread? Cheers.

Hi @DramaDazy

Thanks for liking the questions I've posted. You are free to do the same yourself actually,... however since you've sort of asked for a discussion... I guess you want me to initiate it? Well, I've done that already under Comment 44 below. I've re-arranged your sentences a bit. Feel free to add to that discussion and re-do the questions, if your questions were not phrased the way you wanted. :)

Hello everyone........

Hello everyone……..
I just finished Flower for Algernon with tears and happiness and anybody want to discuss J-Drama today?

There's a jdrama adaptation? WOW! Where did you watch it?

aah I can't said I watch it legally, I can'r find any website to stream, I find it in internet... it's new 2015 J-drama
starring Tomohisa Yamashita, Chiaki Kuriyama, Masataka Kubota, Asuka Kudo
it pretty much have the same feeling with the original but I can't help to cry even though I already knew how the story gonna develop

I just the subs are complete :D I absolutely love the book so I'm pretty psyche! Thanks for this information :)

dramanice

i watched it, even the last 3 eps that were not subbed...

i liked tomohisa in that role! i didn't like the woman lead, however. or maybe it was those straight, flat japanese bangs i don't like with the straight, flat long hair?

i will always love the cliff robertson version, but this one had a great ensemble (the boys at the shop) that rounded the story out.

i just finished Tonbi.... *sniff* super good, touching, sweet, and sad at times....

I love that book! There is jdrama of that ??? thank you for posting it gonna check later ???

That book is one of best I've ever read.You know that there is a Kdrama based on that book : Hello God

SECOND TIME TWENTY....How could you do this to me????

My heart...my feels...my emotions...and I did not know that dimples could prove such a dangerous weapon

Hahaha... You're not alone, @Denile.

My questions this OT...
I want to thank @Kbas who commented in the last OT on charismatic actors and talented actors. It got me thinking about what good acting is and as usual, asking questions.

What makes a Good Actor?

I have heard of A-listers and B-listers, ... as a way actors are categorised but I have not looked up what they mean, assuming that they are terms that have been documented to mean the same thing to everyone who uses them. I’m deliberately just creating a random “type-of-actor scale of measurement” here for the sake of discussion/argument. Feel free to disagree and offer your own way of measuring acting ability.

Extremely good actor: One who totally inhabits a role so that his own personality and characteristics are subsumed into it, and one who can do this for many varied roles. He may not even appear to be acting. It would be a waste to have such an actor in anything else but the main role. True/False?

Fine actor: One who is able to convince the audience most of the time that he is the character he plays but the audience still remembers who he is in real life while watching him act. May have great range ie be able to play a good variety of roles well. Moves back and forth between second lead and main lead roles and even plays minor characters. Makes the most of and even elevates a bad script. True/False?

Actor with (some) talent: One of the very plausible and important side characters who augment the scene and support the main actors but who are often overlooked by the audience. May rise to become main characters with experience. Needs to be well directed and to have a good script in order to shine. True/False?

Charismatic actor: Wins over the audience just by being who he is (or a more exaggerated ‘instance’ of who he is) and by working his charm. His charisma also works with his fellow actors so that the good vibes bounce off him and the team gels well. True/False?

I omit one other possible category on purpose. :)

Who would be an example of each “type” or combination of “types”? (I limit myself to just one or two, but you can list more, by all means)

For Extremely good actor, I’d recommend Ji Sung in Kill Me Heal Me. Not too far behind, is Park Bo Young in Oh My Ghostess. I did not watch her movies but that one drama was enough to impress me.

I was struck that others including myself mentioned Choi Won Young (psychopath Lee Joon Ho in I Remember You) as a convincing actor who made us forget what a psychopath he was when we see him now in Twenty Again. Can I say he is a Fine Actor +plus?

Seo In Guk, @Kbas and I agree is talented and I’d say he has moved into to Fine Actor status now, especially in I Remember You.

@Kbas in last week’s OT has mentioned Choi Si Won as a good example of a Charismatic actor and I heartily agree. He may even be considered a charismatic and fine actor with what he does with the few lines he is given in some scenes in She Was Pretty.

How would...

How would you 'measure' how good an actor is and who will you name for each category?

An A-lister is an actor who can open a big budget film. This means that this person's name is enough for many many people to go see this film (no matter what the film is about): Andy Liau, Meryl Streep, Marion Cotillard, Gianna Jun, Jackie Chan, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Liam Neeson, etc. These people are A-listers.

A B-lister is a person who can open an indie film (smaller budget) or TV show and their name alone is enough for people to come watch it: Yu In-na, Rob Lowe, Tina Fey, Posie Parker etc.

There's definitely cross-over as more film people are on TV and vice versa.

Or, in K-land, A-listers are chungmuro specialist such as Ha Jung Woo, Song Kang Ho, Kim Yoon Seok, Kang Dong Won, Jang Dong Gun, Lee Jung Jae, Jung Woo Sung. Jo Insung is still questionable for me.

on the women's side I'd add Kim Hye-soo, Jun Ji-hyun (self-explanatory) and Sohn Ye-jin (The Classic, Temperature of Love, The Pirates).

Han Hyo-joo is also getting there - she's almost at the point where she can open a movie on the strength of her name alone/be the biggest name in a cast list, even after the blow her reputation took last year because of her brother's scandals.

@pogo
And Jeon Do Yeon, Bae Doona.
I've only seen Han Hyo-Joo in Brilliant Legacy (waiting for the engsub of Beauty Inside). I don't know if she can recover her name but C'est si bon was not doing well last year right? I don't know about Beauty Inside though. It's scary how netizens can literally affect your career there.

I can't believe I forgot Jeon Do-yeon and Bae Doo-na! Especially when they're two of my favourites (I believe Gong Hyo-jin is also a considerable draw in movies, and has led her own before - but she tends to gravitate to smaller, more indie productions, and has focused on dramas post-2012)

C'est Si Bon came out right in the wake of the scandal and from what I can see, it has 1.7 million admissions over the course of its run? It may have been below expectations but that's still not a bad number. Beauty Inside has over 2 million admissions, which seems quite successful especially given the nature of the film (not your average romcom lol).

I agree that netizens can be terrifying. Sure, people say mean things on the Western internet too, but the people who actually hire them don't take all that seriously. And what makes it worse is that Korean stars can be brought down over utterly trivial, ordinary shit. Like.......having a boyfriend/girlfriend. How are they supposed to live?

As far as how good an actor is - that's dependent on the role. Some actors are really good at one type of character, others have range. But both kinds of actors are still very very good.

I noticed that you picked out actors you liked from one viewing - that's always tough. It's hard to make a judgment if they're really good for only one type of character. Sometimes it stands out - sometimes a performance is so obviously transcendent that you can't help but watch.

There are only a handful or two or three of truly deeply good actors - people whose talent comes through extraordinarily - in any country. For SK, I would say Kang Dong Won hands down is about the best. Gianna Jun is great. Ha Jung Woo is wonderful. There are more.

Then there are a lot of basically good actors. Their performances aren't breathtaking - but they are people that we'll all watch all the time. Joo Won, Kong Hyo-Jin, and Kim Soo-Hyun are three that come to mind quickly. There are many more in this category. Most leads in dramas and movies are in this category.

And then there are a lot of actors who work hard at it. I have a lot of respect for this category. These people are decent and love what they do. They'll work to become good actors. You can fill in this list easily.

There are also a few stars. Stars may or may not be good actors, but they have that undeniable charisma that you mentioned on screen. Lee Min Ho and Kim Soo-Hyun are great examples.

What makes a good actor?
For me, it's the mixture of talent, charisma, (a lot of) hardwork, and good at choosing projects. You can tell A-listers in SK are mostly above 35 (KDW & JJH being the exception). They have experience, and mostly didn't have a smooth start. Kim Yoon Seok almost quit acting after years of hardship with bestie Song Kang Ho, and now what would Korean cinema be without those two? Ha Jung Woo tried his best not to be acquinted with his father's big name, and now he's a bigger star than his father.

Who would be the example of the type, or combination of types?
I find 'extremely good actor' and 'charismatic actor' can fall into the same category. Some actors like SKH and KYS don't go 'extreme' like, let's say, Ji Sung in KMHM. Like, they bring their charisma into the screen, into whatever roles they play, so they pull it off effortlessly (they don't look like they're acting). So my point is that the 'extremely good actor' must be charismatic. While 'charismatic actor' is not necessarily 'extremely good'.

Extremely good actors: SKH, KYS, KDW, Ha Jung Woo, LJJ, Hwang Jung Min, Ryu Seung Ryong. Won Bin is close behind since I'm impressed with him in Mother but he doesn't do movies anymore. I haven't watched much of JWS and JDG to judge. The same goes to Im Soojung, Kim Hye Soo. I know they're really good, it's just I haven't seen much of their works.

Fine actor: Ji Sung, Cha Seung Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Jo Insung, Joo Won (if he stops wasting his talent), Kim Rae Won, Cho Jae Hyun, etc etc etc

Actor with some talent: anyone other than those listed. Young actors who I believe will move up to 'Fine' in 10 years.

Charismatic actor: I can't think of a better example than the one and only Cha Tae Hyun. I could put Gong Hyo Jin here too.

How would you meausre how good an actor is?
Well first they must be able to emote. Then to pull the audiences with theur acting. It's a bit hard to explain but yeah, I think we basically have the same opinion on whether this actor/actresses is good or not.

Questions: where do you put 'super' supporting actors like Oh Dal Soo and Yoo Hae Jin? They're very good actors themselves but I don't know where to put them into the categories. They're mostly charismatic but they are fine too.

Addition:
Kim Seulgi : charismatic/super supporting
Jeon Do Yeon: extremely good
Jun Ji Hyun: extremely good/charismatic
Kim Moo Yeol: upper fine
Jo Jungsuk: upper fine
Song Hye Kyo: upper fine
Lee Joon: upper with some talent
Kim Woo Bin: lower with some talent
Son Yejin: borderline extremely good
Jo Insung: upper fine

@ Daehoney
Thanks! You've put in a lot of work in categorising and refining the categories as well and coming up with a substantial list. It's not easy to place many actors, hence the increasing number of categories. :)

Extremely good actor: (for me) is Cha seung won, Lee Jun Ki , Ji sung, lee sung min in drama-land also sung dong il
the measurement is how many character they played well, how they can distinguish each character even they are the same good guys category

My criterion for a good actor is being able to handle the emotions of a character so well such that the viewer experience the gut-wrenching and heart-rending moments with a jolt. I think this is what distinguishes the real actors from mere kkonminam who just need to look good on screen. I agree with your list of extremely good actors, they are all very mature and versatile in their acting abilities.

Would it be ridiculous for me to admit that I can't tell the difference between excellent actor and fine actor? Because there haven't been (m)any actors and actresses who hit the mark ALL the time (for me). It's like spot-acting, because I like to see even miniscule and unconsious reactions in characters. I can only tell when someone is terrible for the role because, man, I get oddly disgusted.

But I can tell who the charismatic ones are: Suzy and WooBin. They're likable even when they really miss the mark sometimes.

That's so weird! :-) I find Suzy and WooBin a total turn off on screen. I can't watch either one. But they are popular, so you aren't alone in your thinking!

That's the thing, Suzy may be charismatic as a thing to look at, but as far as acting goes, it's pretty much like having a black hole onscreen - she's blank. Or maybe pouting. Very likable, yes, but missing the mark often, and badly.

It's like there's a mental block preventing her from processing a character in anything other than mechanical terms like 'smile', 'pout', 'say this line' etc, which is not very promising when she's basically being cast in stuff because she's a walking product placement and the networks want advertisement money.

Kim Woo-bin's tremendous height and physical presence do half his work for him, but he's come a long way from Vampire Idol, where he was letting them do ALL the work lol. I was a little sceptical of how he'd do in Heirs, but the boy can at least emote. Of the two of them, he worries me less, which si good because I don't know how a subpar actor can carry a drama by Lee Kyung-hee.

The meaning of A and B listers was all about popularity for me and how many people and income the actor will bring to the film. Someone can be an A lister and have a lot of talent or have zero of it but tons of charisma. :)

The examples are easier to find in the Western culture for me because being honest almost nobody impresses me much as an incredible actor in Kdramas. I think most of them are unconsciously divided into different categories for me.
Charismatic and awful
Charismatic and decent
Just decent
Someday will be good
Fine actor

Out of all the shining actors in I Remember You, I actually find Choi Won Young less convincing as a psychopath killer. He lacks that empty and eery that Park Bo Gum and DO managed to do so well. Park Bo Gum especially is amazing, the way he changed his emotion/character just in split second simply by his eyes and smile. I swear, this boy is so good!

Seo In Guk is mesmerizing but I'll keep this discussion in another post (instead of a reply) since I just finished IRY and oh I have LOTS to say.

On this topic, Kim Woo Bin in Heirs definitely came to mind when I read the description about "Actor with (some) talent". He blows me (and million) out there and outshines LMH the superstar. I know he has scored few leads now but he wasn't as stellar as Choi Young Do. I can't place my finger if it's the script or other technicalities, or is it him that still lacks experience. But he definitely has some talent and I don't mind seeing him in small screen every week and watch his improvement to be better actor. Every day would be better of course.

I watched that drama heirs while i was around that time active in everything related and kwb outshinning lmh is far fatched from the reality.. if you asked which team people were you will get 95% of them being team kim tan and 99% of the shippers were pro Kim tan..

There was no sign what you said tbvh with you

......sorry but db recaps and OT comments of that time do not lie. A lot of people did indeed like Kim Woo-bin more, that's a fact.

and it wasn't just db, KOREAN netizen comments started appearing saying they liked Young-do/Eun-sang as a pairing (which is the reason Kim Eun-seok deviated from her initial plan to pair up Young-do and Rachel at the end, instead keeping him hung up on his first love).

I have the full research that is not the case i guarantee you?

Do you know how much popularity and shippers LMH achieved from kim tan so much that KWB won't get that figure in his entire career..

Read: Dramafever reviews, youku reviews, and even the minshin shippers were a striking truth in itself.. saying otherwise would be revision..

Dosen't really matter what an individual writes the Audience were kim tan 95% maybe even more..

..ok. Good job with the 'research' (does it have footnotes, btw? citations? Did you have it peer-reviewed and published in a journal?)

I'm sorry to be so blunt but dramabeans is not a place for fans with a chip on their shoulder and a persecution complex about their faves, never mind if everything I said went right over your head.

@pogo

LOL. That's what I was thinking. Research => methodology, statistical data, analysis & discussion, peer review etc... especially with claims of 95% & 99% (which I got confused by – what's the difference between "being team kim tan" and being "pro kim tan"?).

@alua - It's been a few years since we had the last infestation of crazies from that particular fandom, but I remember the last time and I am not prepared to put up with their ridiculous pronouncements or their perpetual sense of grievance against the drama-watching world. I may be salty about this, but I don't need that lot poisoning the atmosphere at dramabeans, and in an OT at that.

I could be wrong (and jb/gf, please feel free to correct me if you see this!) but I have a feeling a certain someone is posting under multiple names about their fave, to make it look like, well, more than one person. The username may change, but the language/syntax is a dead giveaway.

@pogo

loooooooooooooooool.

and they say Minoz is trouble making fans while in truth it's the opposite while I see you are mega pressed calling us names. have self respect this an open thread for public viewing

I don't have anything against LMH - in fact I watched Heirs after a long years of not watching kdramas and I remembered loving City Hunter. At the time I thought he was really different - I like the way he act and he's very beautiful to look at.

But in Heirs, I saw he acts and speaks like the way he was in City Hunter. Basically he's just being LMH in different settings and afterwards, LMH just doesn't really impress me as an actor that much. I watched tons of kdramas after and came across BOF, and I concur.

If I have to rate LMH according to above rating it would be Charismatic (and decent). He has lots to improve in acting department but hey he's beautiful and makes enough as it is, so why bother, good on him!

Some people do it for some people but LMH is the viewers favorie for a reason to begin with.

LMH really do it for me and I'm not the only I guess

@POGO

Your jimmies got rustled badly and why you so pressed omg!!

oh, grow up.

Best to ignore.

I so agree with you. As much as i enjoy CWY in IRY, it's actually D.O who blows my mind. I don't follow Exo and never watched him before so seeing him acting so eerie and convincing as psychopath seriously shocks me, in a good way. Sometimes i do think that my excitement over Lee Joonyoung char has a lot to do with DO's acting. But then again in Twenty Again i am thoroughly impressed with CWY. The writer writes his char in a very good way but his portrayal has certain charms that makes me hates and sympathize him at the same time.

Park Bo Gum, he is so good i can't even explain all those weird things he did to my heart whenever he smiles (creepily or sincerely, i just want them all).

While SIG, the fact that he can shed his Yoonjae image in my mind is more than enough to convince me he is a really really good actor. I don't buy him as psychology professor with full length career (that cute and young face of him!) but i buy his character.

Growingbeautifully -

While I can't come up with a comprehensive list for all the categories, I will share that, for me, two examples of extremely good actors that come to mind are Yoo Seung-ho and Song Joong-ki. I'd also add Park Bo-gum in this category. ........ These actors simply "inhabit" a role, if that makes any sense.

There are other worthy contenders for sure, which I would certainly include on this list, but these 3 are standouts.

Thanks @korfan

I need to watch more of them, but I know what you mean by inhabit a role (in fact I used that term too :) ). I only watched Song Joon Ki in Nice Guy and Yoo Seung Ho in 3 dramas. Park Bo Gum, I will admit, is noteworthy. :)

IMO actors' rating is subjective and biased so I won't deny too that I'm highly subjective over this one. My list here is just based on actors I have watched.

Extremely Good Actor:
Male: Obviously people like Song Kang Ho, Ha Jung Woo, Kim Myung Min, Ryu Seung Ryong, Kim Yun Seok, Hwang Jung Min, etc.
Female: it's hard to rate, but probably Jeon Do Yeon and Bae Doona. And Lee Young Ae
For example, I hated Ryu Seung Ryong with burning passion in Painter of the Wind as pervert old man. But I cried with him in Miracle in Cell no.7.
There are people like Jung Bo Suk or other veteran actors who just slip into the roles really well.

Fine Actor:
Male: Ji Sung, Jo In Sung, Ji Chang Wook, Kang Dong Won, So Ji Sub, Joo Won, Lee Sun Kyun, Joo Ji Hoon, Yoo Ah In, Yoo Yeon Seok, Yoo Ji Tae (probably I should just move him up to extremely talented actor?)
Female: Moon Geun Young, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Soo Ae, Park Bo Young, Shim Eun Kyung, Go Ah Sung, Jeon Ji Hyun.
I'm subjective and I rate Ji Chang Wook and Moon Geun Young really high here.. Simply because I like their acting and they could make me cry along every time they cry (onscreen).

Actor with some talent (I like these actors, I think they definitely have some potential and acting ability. It's just they need good direction+right character)
Male:
Park Hae Jin, Chun Jung Myung, Kim Jae Won (although I love him!!), Rain, Lee Jong Suk, Kim Soo Hyun
Female: Song Hye Kyo, Park Shin Hye, Ha Ji Won

Charismatic actor
Male:
Kim Woo Bin, Lee Min Ho, Sung Joon (basically almost every model-turned-actors)
Female: (well it's even harder to think charismatic actresses, so I'll just skip this)

Reminder, this is only my opinion, and I like almost all actors/actresses here and have watched their projects. I even love Kim Woo Bin, but I admit his acting is pretty limited though he definitely can improve.

Thanks @kanz for such a nice, comprehensive personal list.

Yes, I know the actors who can make me feel so much and different feelings in different roles are definitely the best actors to me. :)

For me one of the best actors working anywhere right now is Cha Seung-won because he is just so versatile and has an amazing range. He really can cross genres with ease and completely inhabits every role he plays. He's capable of not acting but being on screen and only a very few actors have this ability. He can do goofball comedy as in Ghost House, Kick the Moon and Best Love. He's completely convincing as a pre-op male to female transexual in High Heels. That performance was personally one of the best I've ever seen although the movie itself wasn't particularly good. He wasn't a man acting as a woman but a woman trapped inside a manly-man's very foreign body. He's a detective trying to rescue his estranged wife while dealing with his own guilt in Secret. And so on. My favourite Cha Seung-won role still is Jo Guk in The City Hall.

An actor on the other end of the spectrum in that he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag but I just love and will watch anything he's in is Oh Ji-ho. He's always the same, has absolutely no range and often his fellow actors seem to be working very hard to make up for his limitations. But he has a warmth, decency and like-ability about him which the camera picks up in spades. He makes me smile every time I watch him.

I agree, @Lindy12. CSW is an actor with a great deal of comedies under his belt. I always think that an actor with timing in that genre can pull off almost everything else. If an actor's physic is not peculiar enough to keep him stuck in comedy as a sort of typecasting, the limit is the sky in terms of a future career. CSW is an excellent example of someone with zero acting background (he's a former model) but with good projects, fabulous co-stars and lots of work put into his projects. His looks helped him at first but, even after his big TV boom, he's ready to twist his image unconditionally (a tall guy is called Cha-ajummah, if that's not hirarious I wonder what is, right?).
OJH, on the other hand, is an actor whose physical appearance transcends countries and races; undoubtedly, a very, very handsome man. He puts the smile on my face, too. With that said, we have to admit that he's not among the most gifted actors and yes, he has plenty of limitations. But, you're right, he tries hard and I haven't watched him in anything unfitting, whether it's a drama or a film. The most important thing is that, by this age, he's probably aware of what he can and cannot do and he doesn't seem to push it beyond that. For that alone, he has my respect as a person. It's so pathetic when semi-talented artists,- and their agencies,- are trying to brainwash us into their "charismatic" performances and their "raw" talent.

I so agree about timing and comedy because, in comedy, timing is everything. It's like telling a good joke, not everyone can do it. An actor like CSW is also able to take on romantic leading man roles because he is such a beautiful specimen of manhood. But, in my opinion at least, the timing is first, the looks come second. CSW strikes me as a professional in that he knows how to present himself before the camera, his angles, the kind of lighting that best suits him etc. I guess this is because of his modelling background; he knows how to create a mood without chewing up the scenery to do it. He also appears to have a good grasp of his career in that he seems to be moving into mature, age appropriate roles with ease.

Another actor/model who might have this potential is Kim Woo-bin although I haven't really seen enough of him yet. In the early scenes in Heirs, in his high school bully incarnation, there's a certain humour to his menace. It's as if the character of Choi Young-do is aware that he's somehow a caricature of a school bully but not the real thing. Pretty subtle but KWB pulls it off.

@ Lindy12

LOL! you description of Oh Ji Ho. I have to watch a lot more of his shows to know for sure. I've only seen him in Cheo Yong so far and like his moves there. Perhaps he knows his limitations and sticks to just doing what he is good at. :)

Personally I am not sure I could find examples to put into these categories. However, I think that an extremely good actor is someone who can move between roles, independently of it being a lead or not. And not being afraid to try something new, even if its a small role.

Only being able to play the lead role, or only one type of characters (evil and good), is a limitation for me. Like you can have some who is great at playing chaebols turning good guys, but they are still limited in that that is the only thing he can do. Same with only playing villain characters. You can be great at it, but if that is the only thing you can do, it's still a limitation even if you are great.

In that way, there is a lot of different ways to be a great actor. What is important for me as well is that they have a wish to imporove or take on roles that they think is interesting. Sure, take lead roles if they want (and stick to it) but don't be afraid to take a role that is NOT a lead simply because of your status.

I agree with this - stereotyping prevents greatness as an actor. BUT if we assess each performance on its own merits, it doesn't mean that an actor can't be good. Also there must be props to actors who can differentiate between even similar characters they play. Everyone can't be Ha Jung-woo (which, I don't even know how the terrifying serial killer in The Chaser is the scared North Korean agent from The Berlin File, or the dork in Love Fiction)

and I agree with the status comment. That's why I have a lot of respect for Gong Hyo-jin - she earned her leading lady stripes almost 15 years ago, but isn't afraid to take on a 'supporting' role if it genuinely interests her.

Yeah, some actors are great at playing one type of character, and that's not a bad thing. They can still be great or portray that role amazingly. However it does get boring to see the exactly the same portrayal everytime. So I agree with you that it aslo takes talent to play the same type of character, and yet be so different. Having the same actor play two similar role, and leaving you no doubt that they are different characters takes a lot of know-how.

Yeah same. I have so much respect for actors that takes on the roles that interests them over thinking of their status. Sure, some maybe need to reach a sorta status before they feel comfortable in doing that. Yet, it's a mark of a persons confidence and abilities to not let that stop them.

Exactly, it gets boring to see essentially the same character played the same way across different dramas. Not that one can't enjoy actors who do that too, but it does lower any claims to greatness. And typecasting is a waste of talent. (I LOVE Ji-soo in Sassy Go Go but I hope he doesn't end up playing a tortured, violent high school student with an abusive parent figure a third time around. Boy deserves better!)

One actor who does manage to distinguish between similar characters surprisingly well, is Shin Mina. Her gumiho in MGIAG and her ghost in Arang are both plucky supernatural creatures who latch onto a man because they want something, but when you actually look at them, the two performances are nothing alike. Though in her case she's actually done a wider spectrum of roles than just the adorable dimple-flashing ones she's known for, and was pretty good in the melo roles of her teens and early twenties too.

Some of the actors we see the most versatility from are ones in supporting roles. Chae Soo-bin in Spy vs Chae Soo-bin in Sassy Go Go.......she's a rookie but I can hardly believe it's the same person. Same with Yoon So-hee in Let's Eat, Wild Chives & Soybean Soup, and Marriage Not Dating - she did all those dramas within the span of a year and is practically unrecognisable between roles.

Ha Jung Woo is amazing. Like, amazing. And he's a dork in real life roo. Seems like a funny guy.
Regarding leading actor 'steps down' as supporting, Gong Hyo Jin would be a good example, the other being Kang Dong Won who can have all the lead characters he's offered but instead he chose to costar with his seniors--Song Kang Ho, Kim Yoon Seok, Ha Jung Woo, Hwang Jung Min.

Kang Dong-won is fantastic. I don't know what the Korean audience thought of him in Kundo, but that's my all-time favourite performance of his, even if it gave me nightmares. And I actually feel like working with senior actors has added a special something to his abilities, over the course of his career.

oh, and speaking of actors who aren't hung up on the 'lead role' designation or hero status, Yoo Ah-in is another one.

He took a small supporting role in Thread of Lies last year, and Hwang Jung-min and Song Kang-ho are the default cast leaders for Veteran and The Throne respectively, but he's done really well out of those.

Ha Jung Woo is the perfect example of what seperates "artists" from "actors". He doesn't give in to K-ent's manipulations (in terms of "trends", looks and cosmetic surgeries), he always chooses projects wisely and covers diverse range of genres, he has turned his back to dramas, he's cultivated as an artist and a person and that's quite obvious. I didn't know about his dorky side but it doesn't surprise me whatsoever. I loved some interviews of his in which all his answers seemed to be less formal than the usual standards and much more playful for a Korean artist. I'm sure this path was not easy at all throughout the years and he probably worked very hard to combine this Industry's demands with his talent and self-expression as an actor.

A-listers to me is a combination of raw talents and star power. Those actors who dominates Chungmuro, both in the box office and critical acclaim films.

Song Kang Ho - had no formal acting training. His first gig was on stage.
Hwang Jung Min - started his career on stage.
Choi Min Shik - another stage actor with formal training in theatre.
Hwa Jung Woo - comes from a family of actors. Multi-talented (painting, acting, directing). The youngest out of the top A-listers.
Jeon Do-Yeon - the top lady of Chungmuro. Started her career doing tv dramas.

These are the actors who are making their marks in the film industry for generations to come. These are the actors that talented writers/directors go to like Park Chan Wook, Bong Joon Ho etc. They are not only respected in their field in Korea but also abroad. Hollywood knows them by name for their talents.
Great thing about making a mark in Chungmuro is once an actor is at the top she/he most likely will stay there until retirement.

Correction Ha Jung Woo not (Hwa).

Hwang Jung-min is having a banner year, isn't he?

And I didn't know until very recently that Kim Yong-gun is Ha Jung-woo's father. But young Kim Yong-gun looked like he could be HJW's brother.

The one thing all those actors have in common, is that they are talented beyond a shadow of a doubt. Whether it's the result of years of stage training or plain raw talent, they have it. And Yoo Ah-in could well join the club after he returns from military service, he's made some very wise co-starring choices this year.

Yes Hwang Jung Min is rocking it this year on the big screen and on stage too.

It's interesting how stage actors transition well into the big screen and they are comfortable enough to go back and forth. Maybe performing live is one of the best way to develop and refine an actor's talent?

My favorite Hollywood actors are all British with stage acting experience. They are well trained in the theatre and most of them can sing and act.

Years of experience helps too. Most of the top actors are in their 40s and 50s except for Ha Jung Woo. He is so in demand it's pretty crazy to try and have him commit to a project a year ahead.
It was hard to hate on Kim Yong-gun in Arang knowing that he is Ha Jung Woo's father haha.

It'll be interesting to see who will replace them in the future.

<Hwang Jung-min is having a banner year, isn’t he?

He's finally getting the recognition he deserves after nearly 30 years in the business.

I watched him first in Waikiki Brothers, and it was so obvious that he's very, very good.... and so underrated. Well, I think industry insiders did know – certain directors – but the Korean public much less so.

A really good actor with exceptional Charismatic energy has to be Lee Min Ho.

His like the Sun that gives light to the rest of Kdramaland.

Here is the thing about LMH that is exceptional imo and makes him stand out some would like to say good looks but thats not the case. the aura he carry around is so superior to the others that its comical.

When he goes into an Arrogant slush talkative guy his like a wrecking train coming out of the screen and he definitely catches peoples hearts right there its like a magic trick

I liked LMH in Personal Taste and of course, City Hunter.

If i were to compare Lee Min Ho to Ji Sung ?, i would say the 'really good actor' definition belongs to Ji Sung.

Lee Min Ho is born to be a star. Like Andy Lau of Hong Kong, Takuya Kimura of Japan, and even Takeshi Kaneshiro and Jerry Yan of Taiwan, he radiates alpha male charisma which comes out very well on screen, and any photographer would be hard put to take a bad shot of him.

But whether he and all those mentioned counterparts of his are good actors is another matter lol.

Immortal actors and actresses
Korean - Kim Hae-Sook, Kim Sang-Joong
World - Toshiro Mifune, Humphey, Charles Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, Clara Bow, Geraldine McEwan
Estonian I would say Jüri Järvet (Insanity).

Quite unforgettable by at least one performance:
Korean - Kim Chang-Wan (Lawyer Jang!), Oska (um..he has a real name, I know he does...), Jeon Ji-Hyun, Lee Min ho
World - Johnny Depp, James Dean, Marlon Brando... countless women... but I mostly like french actresses. Quite a number of french actresses have impressed me by at least one role.
Estonian: Lembit Ulfsak (Tangerines)

Charismatic:
I think most actors have charisma.
But in Korea, actors with the greatest charisma are Song Joong Ki (he has charisma like a snake, completely paralyzing!), Jung Il Woo (who has more sensual charisma), and Kim Mi-Kyung (oh boy she is a charisma ball)
In the world, depends... on the director and stuff. Alan Rickman! probably. some unexpected types, and comedy ones...

Popular, but bland: Kim Soo-Hyun, Han ga in

Not a GREAT actor, but their sincerity will make you bleed: Lee Jong Seuk, park se-Young

@ redfox

Yours is an interesting list. It makes me want to look up some of these people and catch a show they're in.

Oska is Yoon Sang Hyun in Secret Garden, I believe? I liked him in My Fair Lady and I Can Hear Your Voice, and did not realise I had seen him already in How to Marry a Millionaire.

First of all, I just have to stress that this is just my personal opinion so don't read this thinking I am an authority in anything related to acting. lol

Great actors/actresses who headline dramas/movies:
(They have acting chops foremost with looks to boot, true A-listers)

Ji Sung

Lee Bo Young
Kim Hee Sun
Choi Ji Woo
Moon Geun Young
Shim Eun Kyung

Honorable mentions:
(They are recognized more for their looks than their acting, they are A-list celebrities)

Lee Min Ho
Won Bin
Song Joong Ki
Lee Jung Suk
Jo In Sung
Lee Dong Wook

Song Hye Kyo
Kim Tae Hee
Han Ga in
Lee Min Jung
Suzy
Park Shin Hye
Shin Min Ah

My personal favorites who I can't seem to fit on either of the list:

Yoon Eun Hye

My favorite starlets:

Han Groo
Jung Eun Ji
Yang Jin Sung
Park Min Young

@Aigoooo

Thanks! I rather like your list. You're mentioning actors I've watched, and am positive about, which gives me a warm feeling. *hi-five!* :)

@ Growingbeautifully,

For me I'm more interested in the end product ie. The drama/movie the actor is starring in. The plot comes first and then the characterisation next. I try to figure out what the director/writer is getting at, how the characterisation fits in and what the production was trying to convey through this character. Then I looked at the actor/actress filling out this character and how well he or she is doing the job - does he/she convey what I think is the writer's/director's intention? That's how I consider whether the actor is good or not. Of course if I see the same actor playing a different type of character elsewhere I will give the person more marks for versatility. For me Ji Sung in just KMHM stands out as excellent, but overall I'm not so concerned over whether an actor is good vs fine vs excellent.

Because it's a fact that how good or excellent an actor is depends on the quality of the production he/she was involved in. Those actors who are considered excellent or good today - regardless of their level of talent, they made it because they were in the right place at the right time, they caught the right person's attention, or they hung on in the scene long enough to be remembered and finally recognised (think Wayne Lai, Gallen Lo of HK TVB).

And it's not right to think of those supporting characters in dramas as being played by only actors with some talent only, because they may actually be more talented or experienced than the main stars, but are relegated to side characters simply because they don't have the leading star looks.

@ lc

You have a very comprehensive way of looking at good acting, which is interesting. The thing about looks does bother me. There was a show, How to Marry a Millionaire in which the guy who was trying to get a job to act as a villain was rejected after waiting for hours to play the part, just because he looked too much like a leading man (and would end up 'competing' with the lead in the same frame) and not like a 'villain'. Viewers too are now conditioned to expect that persons of a certain appearance will be the lead or the supporting character, the good guy or the bad. It's a pity that we miss good actors because they lacked certain 'looks' and we understand the proliferation of plastic surgery.

Twenty again is ending this week so kind of sad but i know it will leave a warm feeling in my heart...(and cute lee sang yoon)

She was pretty is picking up its pace but idiotic MBC is doing the delay now..
As much as i want shin hyuk to get the girl but sung joon falling in love is also awesome...
And i am realllly happy he fell for Hye jin before Ha-ri's confession...

Still waiting for new shows to finish its some starting episodes I'll marathon it once and then decide to get hooked up or not...

I can't believe Twenty Again is ending this week either. I think I can watch Ha Nora and Grumpy Professorpants till they are 100 arguing at the old folks home.

I didn't think I would like She was Pretty but I'm enjoying it (not as much as Twenty Again) and I'm on the fence about Hyejin's makeover and her ending up with Sungjoon.
I love how Shin Hyuk always seem to enjoy seeing Hyejin whether it was her Michael Jackson pant/sock/shoe combo, her screeching and hiding under desks or her giving up her bus seat for the granny. He has always been drawn to her and I don't feel like Sungjoon deserves her. I don't care about job stress, new place stress, swapped identities confusion. He is an ass to everyone he doesn't think is worth his time and he doesn't think A LOT of people are worth his time

Happy Friday once again, beanies!
Since I've been low on k-dramas these past few weeks (only watching Twenty Again; it's wonderful!), one evening I decided to browse on Viki and remembered wanting to watch Persevere, Gu Hae Ra when it first came out, but then something came up and I forgot about it. So, I first watched half of episode, then breezed through a couple of more (cried buckets!) and now I'm officially hooked! I can't believe that a show can so easily make me bawl my eyes out and then laugh like crazy, like, five minutes later. So here I am spazzing about it. I keep playing the OST and have to fight against the urge to binge-watch it in one sitting... Why so addictive, 789? Although, I have to admit, I'm a huge sucker for musical dramas...

Sooo, kind of bummed that She was pretty only showed one episode... I was looking forward to seeing how SJ would react to the confession (if it happened) and everything else... But we'll get to see it next week.

It's kind of stupid that they choose to do the make-over exactly when she decided to go back to work so she could buy he'd dad a new press... Why waste money when you have to save money??

I laughed, that was so illogical.
Episode 9 was dopey for me but it doesn't stop me from being really annoyed that I have to wait a week for 10! Curse you, baseball!

She is either making tons of money, or has not idea at all what a modern printing press actually costs.

The makeover felt like a last minute decision. There was no real reason why it had to happen other than the production thinking it's about time to get it done. I wish they would have done it more gradually like wearing makeup one episode then did her hair the next, then the clothes. I am not even sure if the makeover route is even necessary. I kinda miss the old Jackson. She was very cute.

I'm in a kdrama slump right now. The only days I enjoy are Fridays and Saturdays because of Twenty Again. But there is nothing else that is appealing. I'm watching Sassy Go Go and She Was Pretty. Just because. But I can't say I love them or look forward to them. No jdramas get my attention either. Funny thing is I was bored enough to start Moon River (Taiwan drama) and even though in the beginning I thought it was a terrible copy of Boys before Flowers, I have found it reasonably enjoyable. I love the main characters. But I can't help feeling that I'm just getting over my love for Asian dramas. Too many repetitive plots. Here's hoping for a brighter drama future.

Quite a few are in a Kdrama slump. Perhaps with several big budget pre-produced dramas airing in 2016 will change the K Ent trend.

May I recommend Nirvana in Fire? Excellent production quality, acting, intrigue, and wit.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a little scared of it, since it seems to have so many episodes, but I'll keep it in mind.

On another note, I just watched ep 15 of Twenty Again raw. I always watch it raw and then with subs. But this time I'm not doing it. I'm so completely heartbroken right now I can't imagine watching it again. If this drama doesn't have a good ending I may be tempted to commit a terrorist act against this writer. She already broke my heart in 49 days, and if she does it again I'll never watch another one of her dramas again. That is if she lives.

That is it! I refuse to watch 15 until someone states that she doesn't end up with her EX-husband in 16! I can handle anything else, even her getting creamed by the white kdrama Truck-of-Doom! I refused to watch the last ep of Oh LaLa crazy spouses since I heard they reunited. I will make my own ending!

I will check it out. Thanks!

I may just wait till tomorrow to watch Twenty Again...

Kgrl ~

My wife and I are watching it. I watched the first ten episodes and then she marathoned it. It is well done . They are martial artists, so, yeah, there's the flying through air stuff, but over all, it's a good show.

Sue~

Cdrama eps are shorter than Kdrama eps, usually around 40 minutes, so it's probably not as daunting as you may think it is. The only thing it may challenge is your patience with specific names and pronouns to dynastic eras. But the script is amazingly well written. I would have given it 5 stars just for the script.

John~

It gets better after eps 10 because the villains start coming out and the villains in this drama are marvelous. Of course, the heroes are pretty awesome too - especially the heroines. In short, after watching the series, I think it one of the best Cdramas of 2015.

I stumbled upon an Open Thread from 2013 and even then many people were complaining of a kdrama slump! It's been going around for a few years now :(

It's like the movies. The summer blockbusters are over and there is nothing to watch. Twenty Again and She was Pretty are the only two I am actively watching while Sassy Go Go I am still up in the air since I have had my fill of high school dramas with Angry Mom and School 2015. Six Flying Dragons is just too daunting to take on and I am not really into suspense/horror stuff with Achiara even though I am very tempted to watch it just to see my Moonie.

So true! I thought it was just me who felt the slump. Not to say that we haven't had our share of great dramas, but as a whole, it seems like there aren't any recently to look forward to. And I feel terribly sad that the one drama I'm genuinely enjoying every episode of (though last night's made me so, so sad) is ending this weekend. HUHUHU, Twenty Again. <3 I wish we had at least twenty episodes of cute and grumpy!

A new one, which might be the only Chinese (not Taiwan) drama ever actually worth watching is Love Me If You Dare - first two episodes seem pretty good, and a break from the same old scenes in far too many of the current k-dramas.

Also, The Girl's Speech (Japanese), which unfortunately has only the first episode or two subbed.

agree! love me if you dare looks promising after first two episodes. I love the main girl. described as book smart & street smart she is also thoughtful, has a lot of heart and her reactions are never extreme.

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well today.

I go to the stores and I see pumpkins and all the other items indicating it's Fall but it sure doesn't feel like it! ...... We hit 106F this past weekend! ....... No use buying Halloween candy right now, it's going to melt!

Watched this week:

Hwajeong - Watching full episodes again. ...... Bad stuff happening all over the place. But not surprising when the king only listens to bad people's advice.

Yong-pal - "This is the 13th floor." ....... I'm going to have to agree with that.

That's about it for now. ........ Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Hi Korfan!

Wanna lead me some of that heath? I'm tempted to light up the fire in the fireplace and huddle under my blanket. It's rainy at 3 degrees celsius here and because of the rain it just feels extra freezing.

Also the pumpkin being everywhere and representing autumn made me giggle. Mostly because here the norwegian winter apples are starting to appear in the stores, and winter is around the corner (snow int he mountains! and people changing over to winter tires to be safe)

Manin -

I'd gladly send all the heat to Norway if it were possible! ..... You're under a blanket and I have a fan on and drinking water with ice cubes!

The scenes in the store this past couple of weeks have been too funny. People are walking around in shorts and sandals, taliking about going to the beach, while picking out pumpkins and orange-colored items to decorate for Halloween/Fall season.

Haha that sounds so strange to me! So funny as well!

I marathoned my way through Misaeng the past two weeks, while aptly holding down a full time job. I found the show really therapeutic after a long day at work, ironic according to some people who have commented that they can't bear to watch it because of tough times they have in their own office. Gah Lee Sung-min and Im Shi-wan, you are such gems.

I admit I can't marathon it, I have 10 days paused after the 1st episode, maybe because it's already enough as a story in my heart but it indeed a tough story ^^

I have 5 minutes of the final episode left (argh! Why did my son have to wake up early this morning?!). I've really liked it. And yes, everyone has difficulties, but I didn't really find it depressing either. A nice coming of age story, really.