Tako and J hyung – “새벽에” (At dawn) [ Download ]

Happy Friday everyone!

Now, I must jump right in to what’s eating me up—Witch’s Romance—the end of Episode 12.

** BEGIN SPOILER**

I admire and respect Shi-Hoon’s honesty and self-respect in ending things with Ji-Yeon. I totally understand how he feels seeing that she is just not that into him anymore, but his execution? It sucked. He was insensitive, cruel, mean-spirited, and just a plain @$$. He also showed an intent to hurt her that I absolutely cannot forgive. He went through with the wedding photo shoot knowing that he was going to end things. Then he sat there appearing to happily look at the photos & introduced his break up speech by selecting a photo to keep. Really!? Who does that? And his break up speech—telling her he was dumping her because they did not get along like they did before. Like she’s supposed to be the same person she was six years ago.

His selfishness has peeked through slightly at times, but it was in full force in this scene. Because to me what he is really pissed about is that she is no longer all about him. He cannot handle her life not revolving around him.

I have tried to like Shi-Hoon but, unfortunately, the way his character is written makes that impossible. He is too one-dimensional. There is no glimpse into the inner workings of his mind and heart. We know he has a backbone because he fired his assistant and he said no to being in a relationship with someone he loved who did not love him back, but that’s about it.

He could and should have taken the fact that he deeply hurt Ji-Yeon into account when he ended things with her. I cannot imagine the pain of your fiancé not showing up at your wedding and being m.i.a. for six years. Having done that to her, you mean to tell me he could not have sat her down and talked to her about how he felt and at least given her the appearance of choosing to walk away? Instead, he hurt her again.

Having said all that, from a narrative perspective, I like where the writer took him. The second lead silently suffering as he/she watches the person they love loving someone else is something I have always hated. Just once I’ve wanted the second lead to acknowledge what they see and what they feel and move on. But no, it’s usually just an abrupt letting go and the next minute they’re fine and happy for the OTP. However, I’d have taken that sad troupe over Shi-Hoon’s cruelty any day.

My only hope is that Ji-Yeon gets her fire back and gives it to him in Epi 13. If not, she’s going on my list . . .

**END SPOILER**

Here I fault execution more than anything in the character, because what actually happens in the story is this: Shi Hoon realizes she's with him mainly because she feels she should be, and despite loving her and wishing for her to stay, he breaks up with her because she cannot do it herself.

He doesn't come across as mean spirited to me at all, and I'm curious to see if this show will end as the original did, with friendship.

Is that what happened there? I've taken to skipping any scene with Shin Hoon so I had no idea they'd broken up.

And what a crappy way to do it, Ji Yeon lacking agency right to the end.

More than Polar Bear being a douche bag I am bothered that the "break-up" happened because of him and not her taking the initiative to be more truthful to herself about her feelings for DH!! :/

Totally! In a perfect world she would have been honest with herself and SH and ended things.

i have to say i am as irritated with ji yeon as i am with shi hoon. partly coz neither of them can move their face! all i see ji yeon capable of doing is staring at varying distances from shi hoon and dong ha with the same expression. i know what i think she is supposed to feel and i keep willing her to move that face just a little bit more. but no. not happening.

the script is just sooooo lame. i am only watching coz dong ha is still good enough reason to watch but i cant even understand why he would fall that hard for her. the story hasnt been convincing for me on that part.

i know most WR fans will not agree but sorry, thats how i see it.

@enz I disagree with you here. The script is lacking because a lot of details are missed in translation. However, JY's face is wearing the same expression all the time? How odd...even in Baidu and Weibo where young fans at first complained about the age gap between the two leads and UJH's PS, they all have grown to like UJH and her acting. In these two episodes, she looked at DH with sorrowful eyes, but with SH, her eyes are just "empty." Her voice acting is nuanced too. In fact, one Korean drama critic even said that sometimes her facial expressions are overly expressive, which she never did in her films.

i am afraid this is what i see. its great if you can see her emoting. it would be what i would want to see. but i cant see it!

I'm with you fandomscape. I think both Uhn Jung Hwa and Han Jae Suk are solid in the acting department. I find that the writing is the problem. Noh ShiHoon is the least developed of all the characters and as a lead, that should not be the case.

SooChul is more developed (and loved) than SH at this point.

I can't dissect every SH scene, but when he's witnessed the closeness between JY and DH, I think he's played those moments quite well. You can read a lot of emotion in his glances--the love he feels toward JY, the jealousy at them being together, the fear he has of losing her, his anger and a bit of helplessness, etc. I think HJS can't do much more as an actor given the script's limitations. But that's my take . . .

I agree. His face is weird now, but there's nothing wrong with his eyes, and I don't often have trouble understanding his emotions. Or hers.

I've seen him in dramas since All About Eve, but it seems lately that he aged a lot...? Can't quite explain why his face looks that way. Or maybe his baby is keeping him at night? (I think his kid is a few months old, from what I remember)

But he's definitely an actor who can act, can emote...so I agree, you can read what he's trying to convey -- especially with his eyes.

I know that you two are referring to her PS and botox. It's no news for everyone that she has Botox and PS for the longest time. I didn't like her at first for the same reason and I cringed at her face in episode 1. But I was astonished by her acting from episode 2 where she got beat up by the fortune teller and her mom, and her eyes were teary while her voice tried to cover up her sadness. First-class acting. Then gradually when she smiles at DH and laughs together with him with her beaming eyes, I even started to find her charming and cute, and I am not the only one who feels the same way. Then I went back to rewatch "Marriage is a Crazy Thing" ...gosh. I love that film and everything about it. I didn't quite get it when I was young and now it's one of my favorite Korean films. (And I do wish her not to do so much PS because she was actually really beautiful back then.)

Anyway. Everybody is entitled to her opinion. There are also different styles of acting out there and everyone has their own preference. I am just really enjoying everyone's acting and chemistry in this drama (except SH), even more so than MQ. :)

she has too much botox, so she cant move her face!

I'm glad he was able to realise the relationship wouldn't work, but his way of breaking up was pretty lame-ass, particularly the "let's do the wedding photos".

His "You waited for me six years, but I can't wait for you for a few weeks"... wow, I mean, sure break up, but how can you say something like that without sounding like totally selfish (and yet he's still sort of blaming her)?

I was also really bothered by the fact that he initiated the break up, with Ji-yeon just remaining the passive damsel. I would have much preferred for her to realise her feelings (that things are not working out with Shi-hoon) and owe up to them. Her passivity makes me think she isn't really ready for another relationship. Even if Dong-ha is a good guy, she happily on her own before being truly happy with someone else.

Watching Roommates. I love the hot Ajusshi. Grow back the beard! Someone find me pictures of the 3 Musketeers!

On my blog, focused a lot on learning numbers. Created 35 flash cards with Dramas to try to help me remember the numbers.

Loving the online class.

Here is the link to the post with 35 Korean dramas and 2 Japanese dramas. Can you guess them all without looking at the answers at the end of the post?

Some have a tenuous connection to the number ... like 4 is Boys Over Flowers. Others are just dramas I have watched.

Have any number related dramas I should have included in my list?

Roommate is awesome, although a bit hit n miss. Sometimes it can be a bit slow. And why does Soo Hyun keep crying over everything!? Nana and Sora tell her a random story about their past, and Soo Hyun starts crying about it, lol. Nana's reaction to her crying was hilarious. "Are you crying? Seriously? Don't cry!"

Chanyeol jumping up and down when he's excited is the most adorable thing in the world.

Chanyeol is seriously adorable. I could completely do without the stuck up model.

Shin Eomma is the best! He makes maturity seem so sexy.

he is an angel!! just so considerate and wonderful. look at how he is mindful that poor dong wook would be hungry and straight away does something about it. he is LOVELY.

...and he's livee alone for 35 years since he ventured to Seoul when he was in the 6th grade?

I wondered about that, too. So, he lived alone since he was twelve?! Isn't he 47 now? Korean age. Western age is still 45. How is that even possible? That would in fact make him 10 since he lived alone. Impossible.

and that such a good guy is alone anyhoot - maybe he hasn't found anyone worthy of his chivalry ~ (and I sure don't see any prospects in this houseful of roommates, either)!

Yeah, they are all not even considering him. WHY???!! He is perfect boyfriend materail. Oops, he isnt gay right?

Sexy, hot, can cook, considerate, sensitive, single, handyman. Imean so far, its all pluses.

Enz - I think, if you lived alone for this long and especially during the important years of growing up, it might become a habit hard to break. You'll become a loner.

Surprising to see how clueless LDW is in real life. Overwhelmed buying a handy, unable to cook (all those men spoiled by their mamas!), but at least he knows how not to eat. *irony mode off* :P

@newie, i meant how come the girls are not considering this guy? they look at the flower boys but this guy is so much more solid and seems like such a nice bloke. i mean i can understand him being a loner etc but why arent the girls at least considering him instead of just all the young ones!

Oh, I'm wondering about that, too. But then again not. The massive love Goguma received in INR3 is just the same thing. The wrong guy getting the girl, because he got the right looks. And almost no-one complained. *sigh* If this really is the prevalent way to choose a partner, I see a lot of divorces coming.

Looks fade, but sharing common interests, having the same humor and all around some abilities to master every day life (e.g. cooking, DIY etc.) are way more important in the long run.

I sometimes think of Open Thread as a small party where each person who posts is attending.

I forget about the lurkers.

Open Thread is more like a panel discussion at a Convention. We hear the few voices, but there is a whole crowd also there listening to what we say.

Thanks lurkers! I am remembering you today. :-) Jump in and join the conversation if you like.

Happy OT

So much rain this week -.- Mood level is somewhere below 0^^ Though I guess we can be lucky that it’s not as bad as last year where we had one of the worst floods in decades!

Doctor Stranger: I think I’m starting to ship Hoon with Soo Hyun^^ I don’t really care for the politics behind everything. I’m all in for Lee Jong Suk’s performance bc he is delivering!

Witch’s Romance: Don’t tell me that Shi Hoon has finally understood that no one needs him in this drama! Thank you very much now let’s have some sexy times between JY and DH!

Big Man: I honestly have no idea how Mi Ra is still with Dong Suk bc his family (except Jin Ah) is batshit crazy and she should just bolt! I know she loves(d?) him but seriously woman. You have witnessed how far his family was willing to go to get what they want and DS is actually even worse. I just hope that Ji Hyuk finds a way to DESTROY them otherwise I’ll be furious!

New Leaf: One episode per week is not enough! It’s getting really interesting now and the drama does quite well with balancing the court room scenes and other stuff. That audition bit with Sang Tae though^^ My love for Oh Jung Se just keeps growing. He’s hilarious! And I love that he as SJ’s best friend finally knows about the amnesia. But drama…seriously… Alzheimer’s for dad?!

You’re All Surrounded: Those were 2 very fast hours this week^^ It’s amazing how time flies when you enjoy a drama! I am glad that Pan Seok finally knows and can’t wait for the fallout. And how much do I love Dae Gu’s growing crush on Soo Sun?! I hope the big secret of Tae Il is revealed next week bc I can’t stand not knowing^^ Especially bc I love him and Gook to bits and I want the awkwardness to go away! (The YFAS reference about TI had me busting a gut btw :D)

Gap Dong: So have we finally seen the real Gap Dong?! I’m still not sure but it seems this time it’s real one. And though I was surprised it wasn’t that shocking considering that the drama had me suspecting everyone^^
I’m still intrigued by TO’s character and how much his mom and lawyer have to do with his killings bc they know something. And Joon is doing a great job which makes the fangirl in me extra happy^^

Horse Doctor: The game is on =) Kwang Hyeon is back for good and I know that there is much time to screw him over again in the last 14 episodes but I won’t lie when I’m saying that it is oddly satisfying to see the smirks wiped off the faces of Lord Yi every time KH (and Seongha and Jinyoung) screw him over xD

I tried watching the Oldboy remake and gave up after one hour of torture -.- It’s bad! Actually it’s worse than I thought. T.T There was, is and always will be just one Oldboy and that’s the one directed by Park Chan Wook! I have an undying love for this movie bc it was one of my first K-movies I ever saw and I love Choi Min Shik, Kang Hye Jung and Yoo Ji Tae so…

Witch's Romance: Don't know about sexy times but Park Seo-joon and Uhm Jung-hwa sure are having fun times as illustrated in this cute selfie with silly shades to boot!!

Speaking of Park Seo-joon: it has to said - I've fallen head over heels for him. He relatively comes out of nowhere and knocks it out of the park as Dong-ha. I miss seeing his million faces that he'd make in the earlier episodes of the show. BUT, he also does angst really well. Am sad already that I won't get to see his face when WR wraps up in two weeks.

If I'm not wrong I read that he'll feature in E198 of Running Man. So YAYY of more fun times with him as he was great when he came on earlier.

Yeah I'm gonna miss him too! He's really great =) And his faces... They never fail to amuse me :D

Oh seems like you're right about RM... That guest line up was total news to me^^ Though now I'm a bit disappointed bc I thought the next two eps were going to be the Park Ji Sung eps... I'm just super eager to see those bc PJS is a hoot on RM^^

I will miss his kindness. real world is so scary. the character of Dong Ha is like everyones´comfort pillow. or that teddy bear everyone had as a child. but I have to be fair: that bright kindness also made me notice a lot more nice people right around me. there are these selfless people anyone hardly pays attention to although they are giving more than we are aware of. I have realized that I am also riding on many peoples´kindness. I have to be more grateful.

oh gee...now you have me wanting to watch Surrounded now. I might return.

Good Morning, My Wondrous Beans!

It's cold here in CT, but at least it's sunny...

My baby girl turns 21 tomorrow, far far away from me. I know Mom is the last person a 21-year-old wants to be with on that day, but I'm still a little sad not to be there. So she's been getting packages and cards all week from me! The excited calls make up for a little bit.

We won't discuss how I can't even wrap my head around 21.

Let's see...Witch's Romance is about to get rid of that annoying Polar Bear, and Fall In Love with Me is about to get rid of that not at all annoying nice boy (but let's face it, I want the bad boy.)

You're All Surrounded is one giant huggable gang of puppy cute, and yes, I'm even including CSW in that. But someone please tell me he's not really a bad guy.

Grandpas! I love you! But you don't get subbed fast enough.

I'm behind but interested on Triangle, A New Leaf, and Wonderful Season. I want to disappear into the dimples on Angel Eyes, I want to slap a few people on Jang Bori, and I want to figure out if it means something that I am attracted to a serial killer on Gapdong.

and then there's the whole Hoon-Joon thing in WTF Doc. Oh and ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMATES. I luff them all. Tell me Dong Wook is coming back?

He's not really the bad guy!

And yeah, did Dong Wook actually leave? When he was packing his bags, I was like "wait, what?"

I'm not watching Hotel King - maybe they had to do a location shoot?

Hello JoAnne
Wow, I haven't spoken to you in ages .... NOT
Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! I wish her all the best and more

Hi JoAnne!

Hmm, I agree that ShiHoon sees that JiYeon is with him for the wrong reasons, but I also think he does not like it that she has grown a bit beyond him. And I totally think his execution was mean spirited. **SPOILER** Why would he go through the motions (photo shoot, developing the pics, going thru the pics) when it was clear he had had enough when he saw JY and DH together at the hospital? I think that was when he decided it was over. And his break up speech--you do not think it was cruel? Using lines like "I love you but not enough . . . " and "This marriage talk, let's pretend it never occurred." Huh!? Is that what you say considering that you hurt this person and now you're hurting them again . . . even if the person is not with you for the right reasons. I mean, she obviously wants to be with DH but it's not like she does not love and care for SH. S

OMG Polar Bear annoys me SO MUCH

I've seen the squeecaps you guys write and they are awesome in expressing the level of hate I have towards polar bear haha.

I'll have to check out the squeecaps. Another Polar Bear hater!? I'm in, lol.

Hee hee - if we only read the squeecaps, we'd have no idea what the Polar Bear really looks like :)

Yes, we ALL have checked out the squeecaps! Your, errmmm, "modified" screencaps are a thing of genius! heeeeeee. They've gotten me through when uri Dong-ha's been sad and moping around.

Yes, LOVING your squeecaps (and have ever since Heirs). I can't seem to figure out how to make comments there, so I will do it here! You guys are great and make me laugh so hard, thank you.

yeah, many people have issues with comments. any kind of mobile/tablet usually doesn't work unfortunately. I can't fix it, it's a Blogger issue.

I prefer to think that he didn't make his mind up until that moment, wavering as people do when they love someone and hope for a thing. Also, the speech: I love you, but not enough - I don't take that the way you did. You think he says he doesn't love her enough to marry her. I say (after watching him uncomfortably swallow situation after situation where Dong Ha and Ji Yeon demonstrate closeness) that he is saying he loves her, but not enough to continue accepting the situation as it stands. Which he shouldn't have to, so I don't see him stating it as a bad thing. Eventually, his love would turn to anger and bitterness. I also make allowances for translation, because the way we use words can sound cold. 'We'll just pretend this never happened.' doesn't really MEAN that. It's short hand, it implies a re-set to a better moment.

And again, I'll say that as much as he hurt her, she hurt him. It is unfathomable to me how people are so willing to blame him for not calling, but give her a free pass on it. I don't want him with her either, but I'm at least clear-eyed about the situation!

Good points. I'm still mad at him though & if I were her I'd want to slap him :-;

But I do not quite understand how she hurt him if you are referring to the six years they were apart. The way I understood it is that she had no idea where he was. Her mom hired a PI to find him & coudn't. She did not know that the famous Philip Noh was ShiHoon & she did not know he was injured, etc.

As far as hurting him now that they are back together . . . yes, unintentional and as well-meaning as she may be, it would hurt anyone to know the person they love does not love them the same way. That is why I do not mind him acknowledging that he sees the truth & has enough self respect and love to let her go and move on. That is absolutely what he should have done. I just do not like the way he did it.

*****************spoiler************************
He did not know that she didn't know any of this. Since he didn't know that his assistant called her and broke up with her on his behalf (very cruelly), he only knows that when he woke up from his two month coma, she had returned the wedding rings. So for me, they are both sitting in exactly the same position:

1. Each thinks the other dumped them, doesn't really know why, but what's done is done. Why would you call?

You're right! I totally forgot about THAT part of the equation. I'm all about JY & DH so I guess pieces of the SH arc are a little foggy. But yes! SH did think he'd gotten dumped which would explain why he failed to call in all those years . . . sheesh.

At least he fired that *-----* assistant. She was so psycho.

Still, he needs to go far far away again. I luuuurve DH!

There IS one difference though: he COULD have called, but she couldn't have.

Why should he have? Well, personally I would want an explanation directly from the person I was with for ten years. If they slam down the phone, well, at least he would have tried... but why was he conducting the end of his ten-year relationship via a third person?

The whole six years and Shi-hoon's appearance are pretty badly written, there are too many open questions. Like when he reappeared. Did he reappear to finally seek her out? Why after six years? Or was it the coincidence (I presume) of running into her in the same restaurant that made him seek her out? (Not sure that make sense b/c given his status and the exhibition he was having, his picture would have made it into the news at this point anyhow, and she would have finally found out about his whereabouts.)

I also wonder about all the details of what happened after the breakup since supposedly Shi-hoon didn't set foot in Korea for six years. Which is strange itself – how do you do an impromptu abandonment of the country you've been residing in long-term? And why would you do that? International moving isn't that straightforward. What happened to all the stuff he had in Korea (it's not like he had planned moving anywhere before, but was preparing for life with his fiancée), the stuff he surely left with fiancée, what happened to his family and why did he have no contact with other people (friend), etc etc etc

Just lots of holes in the story....

I, point blank, do not want to pay any more attention to Shi Hoon The Smug. Let him be gone and no reason to talk about him. fed up and annoyed till latterday

This whole eps made me wonder if the Polar Bear broke up with her because he found out that she could not bring herself up to break up with him so he needed to do in a mean way so that she can finally get free from him once and all, or man tells a lie to protect himself just like his conversation with her pregnant best friend,. If his reason were the latter, he still has a big room to grow up. Once you reach nearly forty years old or older, he does not need to save his face, just be honest with her and tells her what he sees and break up with her for her sake. For God sake, he made her stranded for six years. That is something he could do at least! Be civil and mature.

Yep, that's how I understood the scene. *spoiler* SH knows that JY isn't happy, is settling, can't let go of Dong-ha he read her response in the book, so he is calling it quits & piling up the asshole points to reveal her guilt. *spoiler* I also hoped SH would have 1 honest, lay it all on the table conversation with her. I guess only Dong-ha and JY's mom get to be the more evolved characters. Still find the writing & acting better than most of the K-romcoms/dramas I've seen (granted, I'm a novice compared to most Dramabeaners.

I think Dong Wook is just shooting for Hotel King.
Btw, my friend turned into LDW fan, after watching him in Roommates. She told me on another day that LDW is so handsome and I just like, "Well, yeah, of course"...
Then, now she's trying to watch LDW's drama, even the makjang Hotel King.

I was going to watch Hotel King for Dong Wook until I found out it was a weekend drama, and not even for him will I put myself through that.

LDW looks a bit haggard in Hotel King. He was really good looking in Scent of a woman. What to say about Lee Da Hae ? Her performances as anti-heroine in Miss Ripley and the slave in Chuno were good. Now she comes across rather unnaturally in Iris 2 and Hotel King. Even the way she speaks now seem different.

JoAnne, I knew you were a woman after my own heart. My baby is now 26 and my eldest is 36, with a 15 year old grandson thrown in. Time will now fly and you won't know where it went. K dramas have become my guilty pleasures and I find I have become more selective on what I actually watch and what I just read recaps for. Love what you and your cohorts do with sqeecaps. Witch's romance, Angel eyes and wild chives are the only ones keeping my interest right now. Maybe it's because of the puppies in them that it's like that. And yes. Lee Sang Yoon and Nam Goong Min are classified as puppies in my book. Too young for me to think of them any other way. I what to take them home and feed them a good home cooked meal and make sure they get a good nights sleep. LOL Catch y'all later.

Happy birthday to your baby girl!

Dong Wook will def be coming back! (I hope)

hi joAnne

happy birthday to your daughter!! no la. dong wook is coming back. roommates is all i get to look forward to these days :( . i really am at a lost as to which drama to start..

might have to just wait for the eric and yung jumi one.

i know the feeling... my daughter is turning 21 in 2 weeks...

why is it we can still smell their baby's breath while still in diapers as an infant? 21 years passes so fast!

: (

but the good thing is they are grown up, and we raised them WELL!! so kudos to you, oma!
; )

Do you ever watch K-dramas and think, "nobody's life is like that?" I used to. And now I feel like I'm living in a mak-jang. I hope everyone else is having a good week--kind of karma evening out because mine is so bizarrely . (Honestly, if I saw the things that happened this past week as a tear jerk/evil mother episode, I would have thought, "what over acting.")

Obviously you are taking life with a sense of humor. Hope whatever drama is causing you trouble gets resolved soon.

Watching an episode of Jerry Springer always cheers me up when my life takes a down turn. No matter what, at least there isn't any paternity tests and hair pulling going on in my family drama.

Thank you for your kind words. I just saw the open thread and thought, "nobody knows me--so I won't embarrass my daughter if I vent."

Oh, (I just reread this.) I want to make it clear, I am not the evil mother. The boy friend's mom is. : )

I've experienced some head scratching moments where I think "I thougth this only happened in dramas" being in China (so much drama happened over 2 pieces of carrots. Also swapping dance order).

Hope things work out whatever it is! It will soon turn for the better I hope. And the later you can look back on it and compare how real life and dramas act out.

it is the opposite: my life is constantly like a drama. seriously. but so bizarre it is not makjang.

I'm OK with the fact that my life has been a romantic comedy the last 3 months.

Hey Beanies!!!!
I trust you all had a great week! Okay so I'm basically just going to squeal about YAS,the chemistry is definitely on!! Daegu+soosun=adorable but panseok+soosun= sizzling.I don't know why everyone is picking father-daughter vibes I'm totally picking pan seok flustered by soosun vibes I mean the camera scene and kitchen was just *sigh* he's totally hyperaware of her,I love daegu but I want more panseok soosun scenes. and it seems that apparently I'm the only one that likes the chemistry(well its chemistry I see) btw soosun and panseok
Witch romance is boring me out with the angst can we just get back to the 1st 6 episodes I totally loved.and can someone pls change shi hoon's face or something

Anything between Panseok and Soosun would just be a waste of time because they both have their other halves to get with. I only see them as Sunbae/Hoobae, and that's how they see each other.

Yeah, if they continue down that road I will be almost grossed out, Why those furtive glances Panseok? you were just getting your shi-t together!

I would rather they go a fatherly direction with Pan Seok.

I don't think that this writer is going this way (fatherly direction). The writer will make the chemistry will sizzle out because many fans won't accept this coupling.

I see it but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

if you want shi hoon's face changed, you can check out the squeecaps at problematic of the unproblematic. they did it.. literally.

I agree with you about the sizzling! Hot hot hot! The only way that this ship would sail though is if the writer also has the hots for CSW, me thinks.

Hello Beanies! Happy Friday and OT!
Children's day preformance was held today and finished successfully! Finally it's done and I shall never had to hear that song ever again. One of the children gave me an ice cream, making her my favorite child as it's very very very warm here (thank god for the air con finally working in my room, no more heath strokes!)

Also counting down the time until my housemate leaves for England giving us all a break from his moods. Not looking forward to being alone with him for 2 + weeks starting now though, as my other housemate is going away to catch a break and visit family.

Dramaland of rewatching and recaps):
-Rewatching Masters sun. I do really love this drama, and so nice to see all the little things again.

-reading recaps for You are all surrounded and Witch's Romance and fall in love with both of me. Need to watch all shows, but am currently in a no-motivation period to watch new things.

Started: Shinigami-Kun. I like it so far, running a bit behind on it though. Ohno is cute in it.

-Rewatching old episodes of Running Man to keep my mood up from housemate drama.

Manin -

Hi! Hope you're doing well.

Glad to hear things went well with the kids. ..... Plus ice cream! Yay!

Regarding the housemate, I hope the next two weeks won't be super awful. I know if must be very difficult, so sorry. ...... I don't know what to say other than try to avoid each other as much as possible, although I know this may be impossible given the space/living situation. ...... Is there another international friend available who can accompany you as a housemate temporarily for the next two weeks? I don't know if this is a solution, but perhaps. ....... Whatever you do, just please keep your personal safety in mind!

I just heard on the news that you guys have sandstorms this week. Hopefully not too severe.

I think if I had more time, I'd rewatch Master's Sun also! It's so good! ....... I'm watching Ghost now, so that's where I get to see So Ji-sub!

Korfan- Yeah I'm good now that I have a working air con. Went down with heath stroke the other day but now fully recovered. And ice cream is the best. China has mango ice cream and I now totally get the halbe's obsession over it in Granpa over flowers. Soo Yummy!

Yeah I shall manage. Hopefully he won't be too moody, I'll mostly have to deal with him at work and evenings. But now that my air con works not leaving my room is a tempting option :p Also our days off doesn't match (I have friday + saturdays off, he sundays and mondays) so don't have to deal with him much on the weekend.

Haven't noticed a sandstorm here luckily! Also not seen much of the monsoon rain either, which has hit the south a lot I've heard.

Haven't seen Ghost. I did however watch the chinese movie he played in the other day. Enjoyed the movie, but a little weird seeing So Ji-Sub and not having his voice :p

Manin -

Oh thank goodness for the different schedules!! ...... The less contact the better.

The mango ice cream sounds yummy. ....... The only mango ice cream I've ever tried is a Japanese-style mochi (glutinous rice) ice cream, .......... creamy mango ice cream ball with a mochi covering. It's a tasty little treat!

Take care and careful with the heatstroke!

yay...moody roomie will be gone soon!!!!! Ah, you'l remember what it's like to exhale freely.

Force yourself to watch Golden Cross or Big Man. They set the adrenalin running.

He will! He'll be back though but I get a month + of being able to breath and not feel like treading on eggshells. I won't know what to do with myself :P

Hm. I might give them a try. So many interesting dramas coming up as well, so really feel the need to get my motication back.

hi manin, i havent been keeping up with OT much so i dont know about your housemate woes. hope it gets sorted soon and everything will be well again for you.

i am also not motivated to start any new dramas. its quite hard to only have one currently airing drama to watch and not know what i want to start or even which old one to try. i just cant move on from SLA still at the moment i think although i am not rewatching that either.

anyway, keep the spirits up!! sending good vibes your way.

Hi Enz, how are you?

Yeah, housemate is an.. interesting character at times. It's become the thing that I refuse to let ruin my time in China, but also one of the things that makes me happy I am going back in September as well. But we shall preserve!

Ah yes I followed the recaps of SLA cause I was interested in seeing how it did before watching. It seems like it was quite the addiction for a lot of people.

I am also kinda aimless about what to watch with no motivation. Started masters sun again because I sent it as a suggestion to a friend and then just wanted to see it. But I am jumping a lot in it as well, although I love the drama.

It makes me feel a little useless in the OT (or other threads) as I have little to say in the currently airing dramaland because I just can't get anything started.

yes, i think there is a group of very dedicated fans of SLA and i am one of them. in fact, so dedicated are some of them, they created a blog fully dedicated to it.

it has everything - including translations of the actual script for it as well as very interesting interviews with the director. check it out if you have time

are you not going to watch it?? i managed to get a real (as opposed to virtual) friend to watch - and she isnt a kdrama fan - and she really enjoyed it. it was different from the little she had seen of kdramas.

ahh, your time will be up in sept?? hope you get the most out of it from now till then. your time in china will surely be a rich bank of memories for you later :)

Its on my (ever growing) list to watch, no idea when I get around to it. :p

Yes time is up in september, when I'll return to Europe to study. Very muh tempted to go back afterwards though.

moody Englishman roomie - yuck. enjoy your breathing space when he's gone
Wait and do a Witch's Romance marathon - it's that kind of drama.
Is school year-round? or do you have some time off now?

Hi Owl How are things? Seem ages since we spoke!

Haha yuck indeed!:p

Marathon seems to definitively be happening. Especially as I'm sure it will already have ended by the time I get around to watch it.

Kindergarten is year-round (as far as I know anyway). I'm planing a week off in July to get lost in Japan though.

I taught 2nd grade and loved it but the school closed and I jumped to high school geometry/algebra/art, and actually loved that, too. Now I nanny year round. I am going to the Oregon coast for a week in July. I would love to go to Korea. I spend a month in New Zealand, it was a true escape where I did what I wanted in the remote south island and had no demands. Ahhh *snap. shakes head* Gotta go change a diaper.

Ah New Zealand, I've always wanted to go there (okay, so even more after Lord of the rings, not gonna lie). Looks so pretty.

How is it being a Nanny? Looking after many children?

lol! Ah, the quick perceptive nose of the nanny. You cracked me up just then.

Hey Manin! Sucks about your roommate, I hope you have a good break when he goes though.

And Master's Sun is SO rewatchable. I know there were questions when it ended, about how well it would hold up in the rest of the Hong sisters' drama lineup, but it does really well on a rewatch too. Plus all that sexy, incredibly natural chemistry of the best romcom OTP ever **swoon**

Yeah the break will be nice. And after that only 1 month something until I'll go back so all good.

Yes the rewatch looses nothing upon being rewatched. You still get dragged in. i feel like the ghost elements work for rewatch as well because they do have that comic book feel to it. And the chemistry is amazing. Shame it didn't go into real life. Oh well.

I haven't responded much in recent OT's, but I always look for your posts and think of you often. Be well and happy, stay hydrated, and enjoy this phase of you life journey that is experiencing China. (((hugs)))

Thank you Julia! I shall try my best. hopefully after all this madness of childrens day I get to go back to observe for more kdrama toddlers again.

Hello everyone!! Happy OT!

This week I just watch Dr.Stranger and A New Leaf

Dr.Stranger: okay, I think the plots getting better this week, although the ping pong politics between doctors can be tired sometimes. Who really cares about the First and so on? I ship Hoon and Soo Hyun too. Don't care about Jae Hee/Seung Hee. I think I really have severe case of dislike to Jin Se Yeon. Sorry JSY, but you just can't make me feel and seem to have same plain expressions. Whereas Kang Sora is more lively and better at acting.

A New Leaf: How much I love new Seok Joo!! And Ji Won too... SJ is all lovey dovey to Jung Seon and I really love it. I feel bad for Ji Yoon but at least she doesn't cry in the corner but choose to do her works instead. I can't hate CYW too, it must be because Kim Sang Joong charisma.

Rather than watching current dramas, I'm currently watching oldies like What Happened In Bali (yes, I know the ending), Damo, etc. Mostly HJW dramas.

I also find the strike at KBS to be devastating and at the same time interesting. Public TV station should be the most neutral and give proportional news, not just backing the government. I hope it resolved soon!

The doctors in Dr Stranger are so ridiculous. I mean, Kang Sora's character didn't know how to be a First? Really? And they're still trusting her to help with an operation of an infant? And then there's the anaesthetist getting her boyfriend the role. And the other male doctor who doesn't appear to have a clue what's going on ever. If i were a patient in that hospital, I would be seriously concerned for my life, lol

I don't know if it's Jin Se Yeon or the writing. I don't think her character is supposed to be emoting a whole lot anyway, and we're not supposed to know what's really going on with her. So her acting just helps that along.

The whole hospital politics is just ridiculous anyway but at least the plots moving faster than the past week. Regarding Jin Se Yeon, I really don't have anything nice to say to her, except she looks nice and innocent. I just don't understand her character and her acting doesn't help it.

I think people are blinded by their dislike for Jin Se Yeon or blind to what it means to be a spy, double agent.

Of course Seung Hee/Jae Hee cant show emote, show her feelings toward Park Hoon because she is a spy and acting like she isnt Jae Hee.

I thought it was moving the first time she smiled at him when they were staring each other before she saw Comrade Chae in the background. Thats her trouble she cant show her feelings in front of others. Throwing herself against her love Park Hoon would just get them killed.....

And this is supposedly the best hospital in Korea??

The funny thing is, Soo-hyun has been presented as smart and competent all along and we've seen her in action....but now she can't be a first for the surgery because Doc Getting-It-On says so? WHAT.

I don't know, there's cold and unemotional but even that takes some degree of acting ability to express, as opposed to 'cannot generate more than two facial expressions no matter what'.

A New Leaf is a first in that Jung Seon as the fiancee, second lead isnt being written like she is in the way. Seok Ju cares for her and doesnt look romantically only twoard Ji-Yoon. I love seeing SJ and Jung Seon.

I liked that scene where he promised he would try harder when he knew she wasnt convinced the old him loved her. I like the growth of Seok Ju and hope they dont ruin his current thing with his fiancee since he knows her family, why they choose him.

Hello Mohammed,

I also love SJ with Jung Seon, SJ with Sang Tae, SJ with Ji Yoon, hahaha. I think KMM can even generate chemistry with log. At first I was afraid JS just like another 2nd female lead but I was wrong and JS garners my sympathy. And who wouldn't like have a boyfriend that proposes you and says, "If I marry you the love will grow as much as it needs to be"? Swoon!!

Hi OT
I posted it everywhere I could and now I will post it here as well ... Kim Ji-hoon himself retweeted the link to our blog (or rather the link to the recap of his current drama), twice in fact, and now I can happily retire.
over and out (my bum hurts from too much sitting right now, oups, TMI??)

Really? That's awesome!

Ow, really? It's not the troll right? LOL
Congrats kakashi!!
You're being recognized by himself as his fan now :))

lol, no, it's his real twitter account :)

so cool!!

kakashi -

Congrats on the Kim Ji-hoon retweet!

I assume you know he retweeted your post because you are following him on Twitter? So is he going to start following you on Twitter?

Your blog is ten kinds of awesome! I want the world to know. I want you featured in an article on Chosun Ilbo. I want you to be invited as special celebrity guests at an upcoming Drama award ceremony in Korea.

This could be just the start of your fame. You've already had a million page views. Why not? (big grin)

But if not, then I am glad because I want to keep your awesomeness all for us, your loyal fans.

I guess he retweeted because I mention him in the post (his twitter handle is @jiraishin99) and because he has a filter set for Jangbori stuff. I actually doubt he read it :) but who knows!

Thanks for the compliments! But to be honest, I'd rather not have any fame, because my RL is stressful enough as it is :)

Good of him. If only he knew the lengths you go to for him. It is just the start. I wish what JBB also wished for you. I understand though that you are your own celebrity and would not need the complication. Who knows though, you can give more joy than you are doing now with your blog. Hope it is a joyous ride for you, too. Hope Kim Ji-hoon continues to follow you; and we get to know about it, too.

ahhhhh, SO awesome!!

In WR's squeecaps would you mind mentioning PSJ (his handle is @BN_SJ2013)?!

We sure can! thanks

Congratulations Kakashi! I can only imagine how excited you must feel. (please don't retire).

!!!!! congratulations kakashi!

(but please don't actually retire lol)

totally awesome, kakashi!

Huh, am for once early for OT...because I OT-ed and am now grabbing dinner, hahaha. There's some irony there.

Happy Friday Beannies and hope everyone had a great week! Mine was crazy busy which in translation means I've only had the energy to keep up with one drama and that was Witch's Romance. I miss the cute fun between the OTP but can totally understand the choice that JY has been making. Although if I had a puppy like DH waiting in the wings I would be having serious second thoughts about wanting to marry SH. Hopefully the end of ep 12 means we can move to more cute stuff like rainbows and unicorns and lots of kisses! For a cable drama this has been awfully tame.

Other than WR I'm unfortunately not following anything else cos they all seem depressing and I need some good old rom-com in my life to lift my mood. Anyone has recent twdramas or jdoramas in that field to recommend?

In other news, God's Quiz 4 is back!!!! Am waiting for more episodes to come out before I start watching because knowing me I'd want to marathon the episodes.

This is not a j or t drama, but have you ever seen What's Up Fox? It's a GREAT noona romcom that had me laughing throughout and is surprising low on angst. 16 eps on Drama Fever, came out in 2006. It's a new fave for me.

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well today!

Watched this week:

Three Days - Finally finished this. Overall, it wasn't bad. ..... My only little gripe is how loooooong the characters took to answer the telephone during times of crisis/emergencies or to answer questions. I know it's kind of silly, but hey, weren't they portraying an emergency half the time??

Big Man - While I haven't been watching this regularly, I did watch eps 5 and 6 this week. ...... Oh my goodness, I had absolutely no idea Daniel Choi could pull off a character who flys off the handle like that! ...... It's interesting watching his character go from like, zero to irate in less than 2 seconds flat.

Ghost - The good guys are always 2 steps behind the baddies, ...... but I think they'll catch up to them next week.

I Miss You - I didn't catch it the first time I watched it, but this second time around I just found out Harry's mom was Han Jeongwoo's mom's sister. ........ It certainly makes the family tree all that more interesting.

That's about it for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

YES..oh my gosh, Daniel Choi! I haven't had a lust for a character since my mad crush on Kim Boong Do. (Yep, i know...the other extreme.)

Between Dong Suk and Ryu Tae Oh, I am seriously enamored of baddies, but Daniel Choi's character has the real emotional core, that spoiled petulant must-have-it-his-way envy and that desire to show he can do things better than his father ...and that sibling rivalry with faux-brother! Soooo good! Tae Oh is bascally pity-me, I'm confused. Pity goes a long way with me, but apparently not as far as angry deathly ;-) cold disdain and pissedness. And all the while Dong Suk is IN LOVE!!!! And totally mixes up possession/need/control/entitlement with that love. So yeah, Daniel Choi has my warped heart.

Carole -

Oh dear, yes!!!!! Choi's character is like this combo of little needy kid and cold, calculating power player wrapped into one, but he goes around with this veneer of docile nice guy. ......... Unless something sets off that short fuse of his, of course!

You're right on regarding his mixing up possession/need/control etc. ....... He wants to come across as a man in love, but he's toxically obsessed ....... they way he talked to the girlfriend in the two eps I saw, yikes!!

Daniel Choi is amazing all around - charming, handsome, a great actor, sweet, even plays cold chaebeol so well that I still like him even though I shouldn't.

Warped hearts need love too :)

owl -

Heh. Warped heart indeed ...... poor guy, all that inner pain!

Daniel Choi is certainly good in this role.

Who went for the B.A.P fanmeet in Singapore? ;)

I didn't get to high-five them or anything because I wasn't one of the lucky ones *sniffs* but I managed to see them up close while they were leaving!! Unfortunately my camera's pic quality is really crappy, ugh :c but memories are forever~ hehe :>

Okay, back to K-drama stuff: I'm honestly growing a little bored with Doctor Stranger...but every time LJS appears on screen I'm back to a squealing mess. LSG and CSW are surprisingly good in You're All Surrounded; I started watching it for Ahn Jaehyun but now I'm hooked because of the quartet (and Pan-seok, of course). I don't have the time to watch any other dramas at the moment but I'm hooked on Witch's Romance and A New Leaf's recaps and the summer holidays have started for me so we'll see~

Hello,

how are you?
getting more into You Are All Surrounded and I just looove Go Ara´s acting. She is so expressive.
Witch´s Romance - two of the most serious episodes this week, probably. Heart bleeds for Dong Ha, a guy this kind and warm does not deserve to be rejected.

In one thread this week someone mentioned hanboks and national clothing in general. I was wondering, does any of you have a folk costume? what is it like? when do you wear it? are there people in your country who wear it every day?

and also, which actor /actress do you think looks best wearing hanbok /sageuk clothes?

redfox -

Doing well here, thank you. I hope you're doing well also.

Regarding the hanbok/sageuk clothes, I think the actors who look great in these clothes are (in no particular order):

- Kim Soo-hyun
- Ji Jin-hee
- Jung Il-woo
- Lee Jun-ki

They all look absolutely fantastic!

For the actresses? ...... I honestly don't know ...... apparently, I've been too mesemerized by the men to pay attention. Heh.

Lee Min Ho did look kinda hot in the General Choi costume, though. Just had to add him.

i like yoo ah in in his regal clothes in JOJ.

Anything but the pink angora sweater (Heirs).

Ji Jin-Hee looks awsome in sageuk. Also feel like adding Bae Soo Bin to this list. Loved his look in Dong Yi

And you cannot forgett Song Jae Rim of course.

Lee Jun Ki and Song Jae Rim especially during fight scenes.

I love you. :D

Yes, Song Jae Rim looks good anywhere, in anything.

Except at home, waiting for drama offers. That is his worst look. I wish his agency would fix that look. Does not suit Song Jae Rim. AT. ALL.

I love you too Mary!
If Song Jae Rim had joined the cast of Roommate, we could have WATCHED him lounging at home (in bed?) waiting for drama offers. That is a look I can get behind. Or in front of.

:O

What d'you mean "in front of"???

Can you please take this Kdrama Psych Test and tell me if you're a #10? I'm pruning--- err... just checking out who Song Jae Rim's fans are.

on top of. next to.

Love me some Song Jae Rim. Oh my lands, the pretty!

Mary, I picked Rooftop Prince, and I am not unhappy with the result. :-) Thanks for the test.

I picked no. 4 as well. well let´s see if there are wtfś in my life... a marathon running poet, a submariner, 3 levitating yoga instructors, a shaman...yup. khmmm.

mary & Shaynanigans -

*laughing*

Hmmm. That's a tough one.
I'm tied between #2 & #10.... only because Lee Joon is nekid and a nekid, showering Lee Joon is almost as good as a bound one. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW6YL4K92jk )

SJR on the other hand, sexy no matter how many layers of cloth you drape him in.

Shall I schedule you for a "Han River chat"?

I'm booked until August though. Too many chose #10.

idk if you would call a sari a 'folk costume',lol. I don't wear them much, but lots of people wear them every day and often at formal events like weddings, graduations etc. I like the way it looks but hate the accessorising - fussy shoes and all - I once wore matching sneakers with my sari and the whole experience of wearing the thing improved 500% esp. since no one even noticed!

Actors who look good in hanbok: Lee Jun-ki of course! And Yoo Ah-in when in Mane of Glory mode.
Among the women: Moon Chae-won, Shin Mina and Lee Young-ae (see the recent pictorial she did in hanbok, it was heavenly)