Paul Dempsey – “Out the Airlock” [ Download ]

Probably many of you have seen this, but I just saw it for the first time two days ago. There is this popular TV show called "Britain's Got Talent," which started in the summer of 2007 by Simon Cowell. It spread like wildfire across the world, with a ton of countries having their own version. About a month ago, Korea starting airing its version of the show ("Korea's Got Talent"). The premise of the show is that ordinary-ish people just come on and showcase what they got - be it dancing, magic acts, singing, whatever. Three judges give each group or individual a pass or fail, and so on.

And so, a month ago, a young man came on the show. He wanted to sing. Nothing special about that, except for two things.

1. This young man had a story that is just extraordinary. Abandoned at an orphanage at age 3, an abused runaway homeless child at age 5, Choi Sung Bong never went to elementary school or middle school. He never knew his parents, didn't have anyone to help him grow up. Yet with the help of some very kind people, he was able to get his equivalency degree so as to be able to apply to high school. He was able to get into Daejeon Arts High School, a performing arts school, and managed to graduate despite not having enough money to take all the courses that he wanted to take.

2. He can sing like no other Korean baritone that I've ever heard before. His raw talent is unparalleled.

If you haven't seen this before, this is so awesome.

The bigger question is ... Is he still in the running?

I think he is still in the show. There is an article about him in allkpop which I just saw.

I watched the video, samsooki. He's good but what makes him special is his story and how he tells it.

What coincidence, I was wondering yesterday what had happened to him since he appeared on that show. Anybody?

I think yesterday he made it through the semi's.

I only knew about his first perfermance on that show
hope he can have all his wishes come true

Thank you... I hadn't heard on his progress and I was very curious to see if he was still in the running.

I have really to thank you because you let me see and hear such story and voice. When he told his story I started to tear up but when I heard him sing I could not hold my self from crying. Hope his life will change from now on...

He was bloody fantastic wasn't he?I mean to work as a manual labourer,admit to being that on TV and pay for singing classes as well.

I have to applaud his determination.The story of why he loves singing was..just too much for me just hearing it.

I think I need to find out where Korea's got talent is up to now.

oh my god.. can't stop crying....

I know, right? I just love the fact that he never gave up. Choi Sung Bong fighting!

I saw the video when it first came out. I have been praying for him ever since then. I applaud his determination and his talent. I hope he makes it to the end.

Whoa. Is this THE samsooki? You know, attorney and City Hall and Kim Sun-ah loving samsooki? 'Cause if it is, welcome back good sir. If not... heh.

This Sung-boi Shoi dude is pretty amazing. He's amazing considering the background he has.

i'm just samsooki. there's no "the"

and I've been around, i swear!

Good sir, you are a legend around these parts for some of us folk. Just saying. Okay seriously, not being creepy, just saying the truth is all.

By the way, although their background stories are different, this made me think of Paul Potts. His performance of Nessun Dorma still gets me the way Mr Choi just did. *sigh* Amazing.

Also, your defense of My Love Patzzi is still pretty epic on all levels. XD

re: My Love Patzzi -

Thanks! And I hope you agreed with me and not Javabeans!

My wife agreed with Javabeans tho, so I didn't even get much support on the homefront. I'll take support from anywhere, from anyone.

:D

I agreed with you on My Love Patzzi. I just couldn't see it jb's way. But me being a supporter for anyone is not much of a compliment considering my taste runs a little weirder at times compared to the average Beanie. Heh.

I was with you all the way on Patzzi! Honestly!

It was one of those early dramas, when I finally succumbed to the charms of kdrama, and for the likes of K! R! W! And Patzzi was a keeper. Though Attic Cat still PWNs. (I am an astute, dilligent rom-com/chick-flick nazi but every so often my resolve softens.)

Not watching Korea's Got Talent but I have been watching Audition for a Miracle every Friday for the past few weeks. I love the panel of actors: Lee Beom-soo, Kim Gab-soo, Lee Mi-sook, Lee Jae-yong, the guy behind the Friend/Chingu franchise PD Kwak Gyung-taek... 'Specially nice to see Lee Beom-soo back on the small screen though.
Among the circle lens wearing Hwang Jung-eum clones *aeee... giowah*, I think there are a few with real acting potential. Sadly those are only male or under 5s and stuff. Sheesh.

:) I also think of samsooki as THE samsooki

Me too. I love his City Hall recaps.

me three.

Good to hear from you again samsooki.

ps. I think you have a fan following.

My Dad sent me this clip couple of weeks ago. You know, I am kist skeptical about his background.

I recalled in 1987, a family friend of ours adopted a baby girl from Korea. The couple waited for long time before having the chance to adopt this girl. the following year, they wanted to adopt another baby, but the Korean government banned all adoption because of Olympic.

I just wonder how old is he? I believe plenty of couples want to adopt Korean kids, but why he did not get adopted?

The baby girl now has already finished graduate school, but their parents has separated when she was in high school. She seems growing up OK.

I think he was born in 1990, making in 21 by non-Korean years and 22 by Korean standards (they add a year).

The thing about adoption is that there has been a cultural stigma attached them because families go by blood and a baby not of own's own blood is hard to accept. Adoption for a 3 year old would have extremely unlikely.

I meant adopted out. I guess, he was just abandoned at the orphanage. It is hard to believe that he lives in toilet and staircase.

Some years ago, we financed couple of humanitarian projects in Mongolia, hence i have to visit Mongolia for a couple of times. I recalled seeing many street kids wondering the street at -20 temperature. I wonder how they keep themselves warm? the following day, i was told more them 30 of them perished in the gas holes to keep warm. It is so much one can help during a situation when a state failed!! it was always a regret that our aid came too late and too slow!!

The horrible thing about adopting is the mentality that some adopters have. Although they want to help, because they adopt out of a sort of "pity" or with an attitude that they are helping "poor unfortunate souls", the children grow with a sort of inferiority complex of sorts.

A child cannot be adopted if they are abandoned.You can only adopt if the biological mother signs a form to give the baby up.

He was from an orphanage true.However abandoned children in Korea cannot be adopted out.Therefore they stay there.

Heartbreaking isn't it?The reality for them.Not for him which is a separate issue but might explain why he ran away.

Samsooki,

I watched it a while back, someone had posted a link on the OT. But I just watched it again this week on [CNN.com].

It is truly a moving story. I sure hope he has some emotional support during this time. Because if you remember what happened to Susan Boyle, she had a bit of emotional breakdown due to all the sudden popularity.

Does anyone know if Korea, is pro-mental health care? I ask because Jang Geun Suk recently confessed in an article that he was depressed and came out of it on his own. It didn't seem like there was much of a support system for him.

[http://en.korea.com/jangkeunsuk/?p=4222]

Hi MJP....actually I read about JGS depression...I feel totally bad about that...poor guy needs to go away for a while and just be a normal Joe for a couple of months, he is just burning himself, and while he is at it get a new hair cut and eat some more.

I hope he got the support he needed or seeking some type of therapy, depression is can turn very deadly if the person is not treated on time.

Venus Hi there!

Good to hear from you!!!

I so totally agree, depression is nothing to mess with. Especially since Korea has the highest suicide rate, I am very concerned for him.

So this is a note directly to Jang Geun Suk. Seriously,
we don't know each other, but I want to let you know you will always have a home here! A safe place to rest and people to support you.

I saw depression and treatment of such in a drama once. The three brothers. The tul chib salam ( by the way I hate chib salam "person of the house"?) was in a bad way with her inlaws and her husband she went to what looked like a store front and the man there advises her to wear make-up, laugh out loud and get education. It was done in a comical way though.

Depressions should not have a stigma and should always treated seriously. I totally agree with you MJP !!! I just bought myself 'I HAD A BLACK DOG' A Brilliant Book!

Qd,

I just did a search on the title. I think I'll see if I can borrow it from the library.

Qd,

It took me a little bit of time, but I checked both library systems and neither one is carrying the book at this point.

Bummer.

BYJ also said he has depression and I not sure whether he came out from it.

I believe most of the celebrities could not handle fame very well. Money can buy lots of thing, but not love, freedom and peace of mind.

Spongy! *HUGS*

That is so true! When I see some of the fan videos and all the screaming and bulbs flashing, it seems overwhelming to me just watching it.

So true, especially that today's technologies cater to factors that can lead to burnout and overexposure: instant gratification, instant fame, multi-tasking, quick spread of (mis)information like forest fire... to name a few. Even ordinary citizens can shoot to fame overnight, and it's scary to think that it can happen to people who are not groomed and conditioned to meet the "fringe benefits" of fame.

But then again, depression comes in different forms and packages. It can hit anyone, even the most cheerful people. The difference is how the affected people deal with it. I've had two phases of depression already, the first one was when I was a teenager and the other just a few years ago. The source? Nothing. Just nothing. I just had moments of thought when suddenly nothing seemed to make sense. It's a horrible feeling to look at the world and see everything as pointless. I just fought back by searching for meanings in the things that I do. Having my family around (although I never told them about it) and giving myself time to cry and pray alone helped a lot. So yeah, it ain't easy to tell your loved ones about it. I don't know if they noticed it back then, but at the very least, I know I annoyed a few of them because of it. It was a pain that I wasn't able to explain it coz I myself didn't understand what I was going through.

Still, I worry for people like JGS and BYJ since depression can hit more than once for different reasons. I don't know about them, but after going through depression, I felt both strong and fragile. Strong, thinking that I was able to go through it on my own, but fragile because I feel like the depression left cracks in my personality. It may sound corny, but faith and love are the things that glue me together. It's already tough for an ordinary person like me, it may be double or triple the difficulty for celebrities who have to calculate their every move.

I salute Choi Sung Bong for making it through the difficult times of his life and get to that point when he's seeing the fruits of his labor. I just hope that the things he experienced before has prepared him to deal with the negative effects of fame. I'm cheering for him and I choose to believe his story. If he's not telling the truth then I leave it to his karma. Great voice, by the way. And it's good to hear that it's serving him well.

Powerful story, Izzie. I think more ppl go through bouts of depression than we (the general public) realize.

Izzie! *HUGS*

Dear, how are you today? Thanks ever so much for your thoughts on the subject!

De nada, MJP! :)

I'm doin' great today. (Except for a disruption of my connection to the Internet, which triggered withdrawal symptoms.) :P Thanks for asking.

How about you and your family? I hope you're all doing great too, especially your little one. :) Happy weekend!

~♥ iZzie ♥~

We are alive!!! Hot but alive and thankful for being alive!

Oh, I almost forgot... the heat wave! :( I hope you're all okay.

Global weather is really turning crazy. You got heat wave there, and we've got strings of typhoons over here.

I worry for my brother and his family too. They're in AZ, and haven't called yet. The last update I got was from their FB accounts re: dust storm. I know that they're all good, though. Hmm. I'm gonna call them up today.

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen this before. What an inspiring young man. I hope he is keeps doing well in this competition and can make his dream come true of being a vocalist, he sure has the talent for it. He seems like a very courageous person.

Despite his many hardships, he has the determination to go out there and sing. I am so humbled

Someone posted to me before but I never got round to it! Boys this had me in tears. I agree with Ani, its like Paul potts! Also I really likes Love Patzzi! Am I missing something JB said on the contrary? hmm....

Anyway, as everyone has asked ... are you the famous SAMSOOKI of my top 3 favourite drama CITY HALL????

You're not missing anything. JB and I actually agree on most parts with respect to My Love Patzzi. It's just that I give far more leeway to Jang Nara cuz she's really cute. :)

OMG SAMSOOKI! As others have said, you are a legend here. I remember back when you and belleza and ockoala all had such insightful (and hilarious) discussions...hope you're back for good, and that Samsooki Jr. is doing well!

I love the clip you posted. Not only is his voice beautiful, Gabriel's Oboe is just a stunning piece in itself.

Episode 7 really was the turning point of Heartstrings! :D Have you guys watched this episode? If so what do u think about it? I personally loved it! <3

And oh yea...happy friday!!!

Really???

What happened? Spoil the story for me, Roxy. I didn't get to watch it and I'm waiting for recaps.

Pretty please with a kimchi on top *pouts*

Are you sure? ok then i'll bring out the spoilers!

In this episode, Shin got over his feelings for the ballerina and at the same time KW decided to forget about LS. KW told this to LS and what do u know? LS start to develop feelings for KW! They have this scene where LS offered to take KW home but he got blown off! HAH take that LS! and she also sang..."I'll forget you" by CN Blue

That's it...i don't wanna spoil too much :)

Oh thank you!!!

Aigoo, I can't believe I missed that! Must. Watch. Tomorrow.

I would love to see LS (lack of) expression when he gets blown off! HAHA

There was actually alot more cute moments but i don't want to ruin your fun :D

Happy watching!

@ ricky the royal highness
in OT #195, u had welcomed,but i didn't get to thank you,and i missed the last OT.so here's a much belated "kamsahamida"...
BTW,sorry for bargging in the middle of your conversation :)

Aww.. so sweet of you joybells :)

here is the link to see KW sing "I'll forget you":

Thanks for the linky!

I really really liked this.
I notice though, that her best songs seem to be covers of songs that her co-stars sing.

I don't like the other one she has on the OST currently; her singing voice tends to the whiney side which I don't understand because her speaking voice is really pleasant.

The first episode that I really liked all the way through.
I guess I just needed Shin to take a step away from ballet and towards the gayageum.

It didn't hurt that PSH sang one of my fav CNBlue songs, I Will Forget You, which has a lovely melody and guitar accompaniement.

The English version Teardrops in the Rain lyrics are very sad, too. Let me make it clear that the english version is on my every day play list, and I love the emotion in his voice, and I love this song.

But, add his close enough pronunciation and you get a pretty song that sometimes makes you laugh out loud.
"I shid teardriss in the rain"
"Really know you are not feeling like I do..."
"Weesh that I could fry..."

Wow, I never thought that you listen to CN Blue, Jomo.

Just so you know, Teardrops in the Rain is one of the songs I really like.

Hmmm....How could I resist all that pretty?

Most of their first album is on my fav list.
Wetoria, or however it is spelled, is my going home from work blasting out my windows making people turn in my direction song as I sing fake (almost) lyrics.
Iroke:

Wetoria wetoria (bwah bwah bwah)
Wetoria wetoria (bwah bwah bwah)
(guitar jam - car dance)

Bah bah naru bah bah
Tokbaro nae du nunool bah
Kobah imi noh noon dan goh sool pogoh issau

check it one two seree shige banool lman cho bodun gay
mal anhaedo daroonn saram sen ghi gol ara
etc.

My favorite line is OH BABY!

My 16 year old daughter, who hates the fact that I listen to K-pop in the car constantly says, "I don't know what it is but this song makes me so HAPPY!"

Is it bad I have all 3 albums plus the Banmal song is one of my ringtones?

It is so soothing.

HAHAHAHA..

You should do Korean romanization for a living, Jomo.
My fav songs from them is Sweet Holiday and yes, ck10z, the banmal song. Boy, that one is sweet!

I think I prolly have most of their songs.
(Need to go make sure I do)

I am watching Shin because I love how JYH sings.
His acting? Not so much...(ducking from eggs and tomatoes.)

Haha Jomo! It's just like Kim Hyun Joong xD

They're good looking but u gotta admit their acting is..meh

ms jomo!
How can you do this to me! I'm trying to appear semi-normal but all I'm doing is laughing to tears at my desk!

Kyobo Mungo, Seoul. I was looking at a C.N.Blue album, deciding whether I'd buy it or not. I didn't. Now I wanna kick myself for not buying it. Gah! :(

My fave is also Oetoriya/Wetoriya. :) Lurrrv the video. ;)

OK, Now I have to have this song, and I can't find it. Is it on the first album? Or a different album.

Aargh....it's been long enough that anyone posted on this thread, that I'm doubting anyone will even see this.

And I'm glad I"m not the only kPop fan who is old enough to have a teenager. Mine is my baby...who is 14 now. My son (who is much older) doesn't get it at all, but that's OK. I'm not crazy about much of what he listens to, either, lol.

oh my gosh...your lyrics for Teardrops in the Rain are so true! That song is so pretty, but it makes me snicker everytime I hear it. especially the "Weesh that I could fry..." :D

I always think, "You can, Honey! You can! Just take some quality oil, over medium-high heat..."

lol

hahahaha!!! that just made my night :D

possibly alarming the whole block with my raucous laughter.

"weesh that I could fry"....

My husband's theme song. He says he can eat anything if it's breaded, deepfried and dipped in ranch dressing. For Father's Day, he and the other dad's in our "gang" decided that we needed to have a "fryfest" with the turkey fryer. They fried chicken, sweet potatoes, french fries, twinkies (yes, they did), snickers, breaded marshmellows, fruit pies, jalapeno poppers.....the works. Us ladies spent the day guarding the fryer from the collective 14 kids we have. They had a good time, but it made me a little ill just thinking about it.

Its not that good as i hoped. i think i'm dropping this drama.

Aww why? give it one more chance? Have you seen ep. 7?

The only reason i was excited for drama was because i rooted for their pairing in You r beautiful but here jung-hwa's character is completely different . No, i haven't watched ep.7

episode 7 is different. i was going to stop watching it but watched episode 7 (in fact skipped 5 and 6 due to lack of interest) and was sucked back in :)

I lurved it! I didn't even mind that there was no episode 8 this week (poor ShinHye, hope she's recovering well) because episode 7 totally delivered. I am even writing a recap of it, though what that will turn out to be like, I have no idea >_>

The sad part is that ep. 7 delivered soo much that I'm in physical pain just waiting for ep. 8 :(
But still...i hope Shin Hye unnie gets well soon ^^

Yep, Shin Hye-i Noona, get well!

I know. So far the 7 was the best episode. Those looks from S to K. and K to S... priceless.
Though I think S is helping mostly because of sense of responsibly, he'll come around soon.
And SH is enjoying that show btw S&K
I hope Shin-hye recovers from the accident soon.

haha so true i love that little smile he showed when LS asked KW, "Aren't you going home?"

Silver, Hi!

Really you didn't miss the episode. I sure did. I looked and looked for it but couldn't find it. I went to various sites looking for it.

Then when DarkUmagon posted the special, I remember that Korea films almost live and wouldn't have any more episodes.

I wonder what they are going to do if she still doesn't feel good? I would just use a stand in (like they do in Broadway productions) and keep the story moving. But in Korea, it seems they won't do that very often. I read one story where they used stand in's to complete a show because the guy was called for military service.

Hey, MJP :D I can't say I was thrilled not to have an episode 8, but what I mean was that after episode 7 put my heart at ease regarding the direction the show was going in, I could sit back and look forward to what is to come, rather than worry about a beloved show being taken in a very bad direction. I would have actually loved an episode 8, but if it wasn't meant to be, at least we have the awesomeness of episode 7 to tide us over :P

I'm actually wondering what they will do if she doesn't recover by next week. I don't think it will be the case, but if you look at it from a pure ratings and preparation perspective, then another week of waiting might actually work in their favor. After City Hunter is over, a LOT of the City Hunter fans will be watching Heartstrings, I'm pretty sure about that, whereas chances to get a boost in the ratings during the week of CH's finale are slim to none.

Silver,

I don't know about waiting a week, Protect The Boss is after CH, and it looks really good! Ji Sung just came off a a good run with Royal Family and JYJ's Hero Jaejoong who has all the fan girls swooning with delight.

Thanks to the internet, I get to watch both, but for ratings purposes in Korea, it might hurt Heartstrings.

*sigh* You're right, I forgot about Hero. *Secret swoon*

I just really want it to do well, for some reason. I don't care about ratings when it comes to my enjoyment of the show but I think about the cast and crew working hard and getting to see the kind of ratings they have been receiving week after week, it must be disheartening.

Silver,

I totally understand your sentiment. It's an endearing drama, if slightly troubled with ratings.

Hopefully, all will go well from this point forward for the show.

I have seen ep. 7 and love it.

How touching is the ending song by KW.. and I think S is starting to be aware of his feelings too.... what is interesting at the end of KW performance... how the reporters and other students felt about the selection of the female lead since they looked more interested in KW's performance.

Now.. what confused me is SH... I thought he is back with ex.. but somehow i felt like he is more interested in KW as well.. may he sees her as a potential like he see in KY... let's not have him get in the way of KW and S...

I am looking forwards to see more development between KW and S.. and wanted to know more about the development of the 2 teams of the musical... obviously T will take HJ as the female lead... don't think he can steal KY since he did not trust him... I think SH will use KW as female lead.. and the male lead will be KY and S?

I can't wait for the new ep of heartstrings since we got rid of the S's one-sided love storyline.. let's have more OTP development and the musical....

oh Happy friday everyone... and wish PSH speedy recovery...

Shin seems to be jealous of SH? Are they going to spice up the story by having SH interested in KW? You know, like in love with her freshness and youth, like in Coffee Prince where The Voice is so attracted towards the girl, despite being in love with his girlfriend. I watched it without subs, caught the gist of it, thought PSH was awesome. As for the Man of Still, SPOILER *****He cried in the first scene, and I was impressed cos he looked really broken, but then next scene...******SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!*****whoa, he's like, SO STILL. Again.

I hope they do, God, I am counting on it.

His face lights up when he sees her, and they are so playful together. It would be fun to see their closeness change, in an instant, from relaxed to charged with sex-i-licty!

Did you know that Song Chang Ui is a fabulous singer, too?

Really? He can sing?

oh yeah, he's an outstanding stage/theatre actor specially in musicals. Dramabeans posted several news about him

yes... he is a musical actor.. he sings wonderful.

Warning!

Beauty, intelligence, emotion, voice, sweetness alert:

Shin can go suck it.

*swoon* I love me a man that can sing.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't really think SukHyun and the ballerina are going to be another The Voice + ex in Coffee Prince. For some reason I don't see them ending up together and making it work in the end. Maybe it's because she left him once to pursue a dream and I doubt if she had the chance she would choose differently, and I think he knows that. I think his falling for Kyu Won will give him a chance to move on from that relationship, that whole first love that left him thing. The way I see it, they will always have special feelings for one another but what they need is closure, not a new beginning.

Haha i would love for that to happen! But i have the prediction that SH doesn't rly like KW but is only trying to make LS jealous like the part when LS tried to take KW home but KW said yes to SH instead and he made this little face like he knows what's going on. (love that part btw!)

And am i the only one who still thinks that Ki Young will somehow fall for KW despite the fact that they didn't show himmuch in ep 7?

I would love to see KY and S fight over KW... and please don't make KY pair with HJ... i will hate it if that happen.

If the character correlation chart is to be believed, then Ki Young is likely to fall for Kyu Won, or at least establish a pretty close relationship. I don't know how that'll happen though, since we are already at episode 7 and the only interaction they had was during the first
audition for the play.

I just watched ep. 7 of HS and it was MILES above in quality from the last 4 or 5 eps. The PD and writers FINALLY got rid of 99% of the adult crap/situations/angst and put the focus back where it belongs – on the kids and their dramas and relationships.
If this is the result of the PD holing up with the writers for a few days, more power to ‘em!!
It was a pleasure to watch – fingers crossed that this is the direction they’ll continue to aim for. I’m back on the bus and happy about it!
Now lets hope that PSH’s recovery goes well and they get back to filming ASAP.

The one sided love with Mopey Ballerina was just bad bad bad. I don't blame the writers so much on that one.

If you put a Kim Soo Hyun in as Shin..ooh, or maybe a Yoo Ah In, I think we all would have pulled for him...

i think what you liked about it is that the main characters' relationship is coming to the forefront.

I don't mind that there was so much other stuff...but I have a feeling that there will be a lot more of tiny stuff to deal with.

i liked this episode because shin's not just focusing on guitar...it's also funny, in that it's a sorta reversal of the slave contract since he's not familiar with traditional music stuff...

i'm also curious about the musical story...thnk about it. according to the press conference interview in the episode, it's one guy between 2 women. If one adds in that it's also the dance prof's story...then wouldn't the supporting actress actually get the guy?

i also think this is the beginning of kiyoung beginning to "watch" kyu won.

jokingly, if i was shin in this episode, i'd be like "what the heck, the old guy gets BOTH of the ladies?!? This can't be happening"

i do wish there was more music/songs in this episode (one "i'll forget you" song and the jam session(?) doesnt' quite meet it...unless someone can explain what han hi ju was singing...) oh well

Thank U LORD for that...cause I was getting sick and tired of that Ballerina story line crap....PD and Writers need to focus on the Young cast here and their dreams, futures, and passions......and FINALLY Shin stop the waterworks....

I still need to watch the ep with subs but homg the bus scene was lovely. and Yay for more fusion music. You know I never really hated the angst in the previous episodes, it was necessary for character growth and new relationship development. it didn't hurt that the angsty rain scenes were beautifully shot. Thank goodness they have cut down the flashbacks though, man those were annoying.

While I got frustrated at the lack of OTP moments, I am starting appreciate the gradual but realistic progression of their relationship. I guess I need to have more faith in the drama. ooo can't wait for ep 8 and wish PSH a speedy recovery.

Roxy,

I agree with you. Shin actually smiles slightly in this episode too, thus transforming the Man of Still into the Man of Emotions, since he cried when his father died.

So, I wonder... Like YY mentioned, he was just acting like he had no emotions. We shall see, if his acting gets better, huh?

I've seen it and he was awesome! a very touching story and an extraordinary person. With his talent, I'm pretty sure he will be successful! Godspeed to him!

I forgot - happy friday everyone!

Happy Friday, Samsooki!

I too forgot to say that in my response to you!

Hello beautiful people!! This is probably the first and last time I'll be anywhere near the top of the open thread :) Tomorrow will be my last day in Japan and I'll be so sad to be leaving :( But hopefully the next time I come to Asia it will be Korea!!

Oh don't feel bad :)

NKB, Hello!

Wow, you got to got to Japan! That is so great. Are you returning home now? I hope you have safe travels!

So so happy it's friday-just started a new job this week so i'm suffering from drama deprivation ( i was jobless for 2.5 months)...can't wait to get back at it tonight ;)

Congrats on new job!
Don't worry, you will find the time to watch deep into the night...

Ohhh congrats! A new job is worth the withdrawl symptoms :)

Congrats!

Congrats!!!

Just be careful to NOT start watching dramas while working - extremely risky!

But is you do and you got caught, then share your story with us!

LOL .... we all lead risky lives thanks to Kdramas ;) we should make a pack to share our stories if we get caught.

HAHA

We're spies in our very own way. Always sneaking around logging on DB to read recaps and sneaking glances to make sure no one noticed, but if we are caught we turn into incredible lying machines just to save our real kdrama addict identities :)

lol i keep logging onto viki to check if miss ripley has been fully subbed yet.
and i just got caught with an open dialogue box as i was typing a response for OT

OMO, poor you!

my computer faces the window and my desk faces the door... so unless I'm in a City Hunter trance.. there is no way I can get caught red handed...

now if our IT dept dep decided to check logs... I'm dead meat ... lol :o

yeah, that's the only thing that keeps me in check-the fear of having IT send a warning...

I'm sure our it checks logs. I just don't care!!!! That of course is a sign of addiction.

thanks guys!

Congratulations!!!
The good thing is you can see your dramas any time online, so you won;t miss anything.

Congrats on the job! Now you'll have money to buy a faster computer/internet service to stream all those dramas during the weekend!

Tash! Congratulations! That's wonderful news. Not too long ago I was almost exactly where you are, so I know how you feel. I hope it's a good fit for you. Tell us how it goes!

Tash!

Hello and a big *HUG*!

Congratulations!!!!!!

Is it a job that you like doing? How is it going so far? What made you decide to apply at that company and how did your interviewing process go? Could you tell during the interviews that they were interested in you? Were you confident from the outset that you would get the job or were you pleasantly surprised that you got the job?

aww, you guys are making me feel special...i just graduated in may and we'd been fed with these stories of how new grads never get jobs because they have no experience.
i actually got lucky because i just sent them an unsolicited application and they responded. the interview was pretty good but you never know until you get the offer right?
i just feel so blessed right now that things are working out for me :)

as for the work part- i haven't actually started; i've been doing online orientation courses for the past week!

You deserve all the congratulations! Finding a job out of college these days is no small deal! I finished my Masters a few months back and still looking for a full time job. It's so nice to hear when things work out for people. All the best on the new gig - it makes the time for drama marathon/catch ups in your little free time so much sweeter :)

Tash,

So you'll start next Monday then? I'll be praying for a smooth transition into the position for you.

There, I wrote it down, so I won't forget! :-)

Congrats on ur job. I hope I get a job soon because I will be unemployed in like a month

Shiku,

Sorry to hear you will soon be unemployed. What's your city's job market like right now. Are there jobs or not really? Are you willing to relocate to another area? It's hard, I know.

Not a lot because I live in a college town so the job market isn't good. However, I am willing to move but I don't know where and I have to coordinate with my fiance who is about to graduate in Dec who is an entirely different field. It's very difficult

I sure hope everything works out.

Oh Shiku! I'm so sorry to hear about your impending job loss. It's such a rocky thing to have to navigate, and I at least found it quite scary to be jobless, even though I had a decent safety net. Job hunting is the worst. *!HUGS!*

Congrats on the new job, Tash! :)

But I hope you're not too kdrama-addicted to squeeze in time to feed your obsession during work hours. (As many of us here do.) LOL. Now you look forward more to weekends.

Happy Weekend! :)

Congratulations on finding a new job!

thanks!!

Are you a fan of Korean and other Asian dramas? Do you like talking about your favourite shows?

I am a Masters student at Kings College London and a huge fan of K-drama, conducting research for my dissertation on Korean drama fans: REC Reference Number: [ KCL/10-11_1125]

I am looking to recruit 10 volunteers who currently live outside of Asia to answer a few questions about why they love Korean dramas and how they came to them in the first place. Participation is entirely voluntary and will mean responding to emailed questions over an agreed week in August (i.e. 7 days maximum). You are guaranteed absolute anonymity if you choose to take part.

Full details will be available on the Participant Information Sheet which you will be sent to all interviewees before the interview begins. If you would like to participate, please email me for more information and a consent form. My email address is: [email protected]
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kayleigh Lovell

omo is this real?...cause if it is, that is going to be some dissertation ....

I assure you it is real. If you're interested, please get in touch.

It would be a great help. If all goes well, there could be as more academic work on Korean dramas (maybe one day as much as there is on anime).

I have a few questions about Kdramas or Korean culture.

Do Korean's noses really bleed that easily?

Why is it that whenever there it a big shock they grab the back of their neck/head?

Is it really very inappropriate to touch a woman's legs?

Why do actors always look so pale and shiny in Kdramas?

This question is for anyone that has lived or is living in Korea... have you ever seen a guy give a girl a piggyback ride?

And steam machines - can they REALLY cure cancer and/or strokes. Or comas?!
:) :) :)

Think about it, those SUPER humidifiers have to be able to battle the incredibly dangerous effects from Korean rainfall.

Only in Kdramas can we see folks fall ill with a fever imm