SONG OF THE DAY

Matt Pond PA – “Halloween” [ Download ]

I'm tempted by NaNoWriMo this year. I certainly have the time. I've got a few ideas, but we'll see if I can get my act together enough by tomorrow to have an outline and whatnot.

Good luck to everyone who attempts it!

@29:

I feel the same way. Kpop really is very addicting. Listening to music generally puts a smile on my face. And watching Korean variety shows especially with SUJU, DBSK, idol group members doing wacky things makes me LMAO.

For proof, here's what I've been watching lately >> http://goldlilys.110mb.com/yacs/sections/view.php?id=45 . Just click on the Korean MVs and Performances or Korean Variety Shows. They're filled with my favorite artists. Can keep watching them over and over again.

Another underrated drama which I think is also pretty cute is Creating Destiny with Eugene. The 2 no 3 main leads have great chemistry. It helps get your mind off of waiting for the next episodes of You're Beautiful.

"Another underrated drama which I think is also pretty cute is Creating Destiny with Eugene. "

I'm actually watching it for the side story with the single mom. Nothing earth-shattering (and Kim Jung Nan, who ironically couldn't marry her fiancee of 4-5 years because his mother wouldn't approve) but I'm a sucker for noona love.

The family attitude toward their "arranged marraige" is funny, but when you think about it, it's really rather horrifying. :D ;)

@ langdon-unni

10Asia recently did an interview with Jung Woo-sung (see update in his Soompi thread for the entire interview translated into English), very nice and meaningful interview on his craft and trajectory as an actor.

Most interesting nuggets of information:

1. Apparently, JWS is compared most often with Jang Dong-gun, and JDG is called good-looking and JWS is called handsome. Refresh my memory but aren't those synonyms? Whatever, they're both amazeballs, and I heart them, but one slighty more than the other.

2. Someone/something has coined the term/ verb/adjective "The Jung Woo-sung" to refer to JWS's style and attitude. Hhmm, it's a douchey thing to coin the term oneself, but if its annointed by the public, well, that's rocking some serious cinematic influence.

I says, here at the OT, we should coin "The samsooki" and "The belleza" for starters. ;-)

About NaNoWriMo...I WANT to do it, but I don't think I CAN do it. Last year my thing was going to be trying to build each day's writing around whatever dream I may have had the night before (maybe a weird concept, but I just wanted to try it), but I totally chickened out. Which is a shame, because I wasn't addicted to K-dramas then, nor did I have any family members battling illness. All that has changed this year, so I think I'm going to pass on it yet again. It makes me sad, though. One day I really truly will give it a shot. I admire you guys for making a sincere effort!

@104, ockoala

Oh, cool! I'll have to go check that out. It's been way too long since I had a JWS fix!

@ belleza

If you change genres and make your romance of the three Shillas masterpiece a romance fantasy novel, then the *special scenes* in and of itself will take up 1/4 of the novel, and you can write them in your sleep. Consult your baby daddy LBH from episode 2 of IRIS, or some shirtless KSW from STH (on a white pianoooooooo) for inspiration.

I still have an unfinished manuscript from many nanowrimos ago, a manuscript consisting of dried cuttlefish scented paper from all the snacks I consumed.

@samsooki,

The general guideline for Nano is 1667 words per day. I can easily double, sometimes triple that for a single recap, so the word count isn't what fazes me. It's the motivation and inspiration that I have to be able to find for a longer prose work, which you'd think would be no problem. But you really don't get much more inspirational than a cracktastic speedy kdrama, so perhaps that's not a fair point of comparison...

@68 momosan

Go to http://www.livestation.com/ , download and install the software (very simple -- doesn't take up a lot of hard drive space). You will get a kind of a mini player. Open the player, do a search for SBS, connect, and that's it.

I get really, really clear service -- uninterrupted and very high quality. But that would depend on your internet speed, I imagine.

Great part is that you can access news and entertainment channels from around the world -- including the always fantastic Al Jazeera.

-------------------

OMG, NaNoWriMo sounds like so much fun! I might sign up.

@JB

The general guideline for Nano is 1667 words per day. I can easily double, sometimes triple that for a single recap, so the word count isn’t what fazes me. It’s the motivation and inspiration that I have to be able to find for a longer prose work, which you’d think would be no problem. But you really don’t get much more inspirational than a cracktastic speedy kdrama, so perhaps that’s not a fair point of comparison…

well, the problem for me is that writing requires .... what's that word? the thing that a so-called muse breathes into your ear, the spark that comes when all you are really doing is just writing down on paper what is already breathing, waiting, dying, loving, hating, crushing, sighing, bleeding, just living, in front of you.

I've always subscribed to the notion that fiction is just reporting what happens in front of you, as if you were watching the events unfold in front of you, whatever your vantage point, however your style, whatever your filter or opinions.

what happens with me, when I write fiction, is that if I lose the picture, if the events stop unfolding before me, then I can't write any more because I'm just making it up rather than seeing it and writing it down.

Like the Binnie and KJH in space idea. LOL. I still can't SEE it exactly. The events haven't happened yet, and so I can't write it down. I can make it up (i.e., akin to lying), but then it's not really what's inside of me and so that kind of writing will peter out.

Syd Field's cardinal rule is that regardless of the muse, a writer has to write, has to be disciplined. I have yet to be able to find the discipline to do that, it is beyond me, as is NaNoWriMo.

***

I wish you the best though, should you decide to do it. We will be cheering you on, rooting for you to do your best and complete your novel in 30 days!

Happy Mischief Night (and Happy Halloween tomorrow) to everyone. Hope I don't see any smashed pumpkins tomorrow morning (Yes, it happens... :/ )

@momosan: Go Phillies! (Transit, please don't strike!)

@mookie: I forever have Osawa Takao etched in my mind as the creeper from Utsukushii Hito, which is a good thriller but man Tamura Masakazu is old and gross.

I can't sit through Tokyo Dogs, the storyline is weird... I'm not so worried about the acting. On a brighter note, I saw last weeks episode of Ohitorisama and I laughed.. the main girl buys some defensive gear (pepper spray etc) and the younger guy had some attack-alarm like hers and I believe he stated previous "trauma" with guy stalkers too. (!!!)

@javabeans: Good luck with the writing, and if you forget about it/slack off we'll nag you to death about it here. ;D

@janna - so you're liking ohitorisama? i thought about picking it up because i like teppei, AND the theme song is by Big Bang so that's already 2 positivies :) I want to see Tokyo Dogs too cuz i adore Hiro and Oguri, but most likely both of those will wait until YB and IRIS finishes up. i can only handle a few dramas at a time =P

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Samsooki. Enjoy it papa.

My son was a lion on his first Halloween and actually won a costume contest. Totally unexpected since I didn't think it was that original.

Heading to the Ground - it's sad that MBC has decided to cut it some more. I did not personally watch it but feel bad for the cast and crew, especially since it's Yunho's acting debut. I really hope that doesn't happen with YB or else I think I will absolutely go bonkers! And please don't let what happened to Iris on viikii happen to YB either.

Happy Halloween everyone. I'm going to go get my son's Peter Pan costume ready for tomorrow.

I'd LOVE to do Nano this year but I seriously don't have time. With failure promised, I'd love to try it anyway but I don't have a plot. Writing was my ambition since I was a kid but even then I could never, ever finish a story. Lost the plot, found another one, fickle creature that I was. I've recently been bitten by the writing bug again but my problem is I don't know my own motivation. Since I'm mostly toying with fanfic as practice (with an original story I really like in the sidelines), my motivation would be my love for the fandom but I think of those people and force them generally into whatever I want to do for the sake of writing them. I don't know why I'm writing, I don't know what I want to say and why I'm saying it, or whether I can say it in a way that'll make it worth being written.

Whatev, Nano's about not thinking so much, right? I have one day to come up with a plot!

Speaking of plots, I finished The Catcher In The Rye today - an odd let-down of a book (my fave part was the bit where the title was mentioned, it did get better by the end) but the protagonist mentioned a movie or a book or something and it was the Save The Last Dance For Me/Prince Turns To Frog storyline! Duke gets amnesia, falls in love with humble baker girl, is found by fiancee but doesn't remember, gets hit in the face by a ball, remembers his old life and forgets baker girl, ends up with baker girl in the end. It's a conspiracy!!!!!!!

@Samsooki- congrats! as for Halloween costume ideas- not sure if your wife will go for it, but I heard it from someone today that she knew someone who dressed up their baby as a nigiri sushi! i googled it and found a nigiri costume: http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/72/c/AAAAC04JtCEAAAAAAHLNBQ.jpg

i guess it's a bit too late now since Halloween tomorrow- but maybe for your NEXT baby!

i agree with all those who said You're Beautiful is like a tw drama but much better because of solid writing and waaay better acting. And now i'm in a taiwan idol drama rut- ever since the horror that was Easy Fortune Happy Life, which I started because I love Chen Qiao En and gave up because after episode 2, every episode was like a bad filler.

@ 114 asianromance - Ah crumbs, EFHL is bad? Chen Qiao En is awesome sauce and always picks good projects, I had hopes! Hopes! Taiwanese idol stars are always so busy, produce dramas like nobody's business. Finish one and sign another. Shanghai Sweethearts starts on Monday! <3 It's looking to be awesome crack but I am praying to the twdrama gods that it's crack with a good solid basis because when twdramas are good they KILL, when they're band they tank. Show's hair already has this veering towards epic. Da Lang. Da Lang. I'm going to hear the Pink Panther theme whenever his name is mentioned, thank you for that Show.

Night party people, officially Happy Halloween!

Thanks for the tip about NaNoWriMo. I just joined, and am gleefully anticipating November 1.

Mr & Mrs Samsooki,
Congratulations on the arrival of your baby Ji Hoon.

I wish I can send a pair of leather All Blacks (rugby team) booties from New Zealand. I just love giving babies these booties.

If you can let me know your mailing address, I definitely will send a pair to Ji Hoon.
------------------------
As for Friends, Our Legend, I'm waiting for the subs to be complete before I start marathon-watching.

I've also book-marked Assorted Gems and Creating Destiny but would like to wait for more episodes to be available in viikii before starting to watch them Same with You're Beautiful & IRIS.

I started Taiwan-drama Autumn's Concerto and I'm liking it. Vanness has definitely aged handsomely.

Happy Halloween to everyone!

In the Philippines, where I'm originally from, we remember our departed loved ones on 1st of November. I will be remembering my parents, who've both passed away.

Have a good weekend all!

@Samsooki
Just wanted you to know, I kept my end of it...I didn't say a word about our Ji Hoon.
Halloween custume...just let him be himself, an angel...if you want to be festive, how about just a simple nice Halloween bib?? Next year, he can be Samsooki :)

Call me stupid...but what is Nanowritmo??

I'm dead tired today, plus going home to a sick kid, so I'll be a reader today on OT...HAPPY HALLOWEEN , Everyone.

@hjkomo
are you feeling better? If you missed it, I posted a home remedy for you to try. Take care

@ cingdoc

Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month in the US. The goal is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. There's this whole subculture of people who get together for write-ins, and talk about their progress. It's totally crazy, but SO much fun.
You can check out the site: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

JB,

I tried to write last year but I think I gave up after 10000 words or so...due to school. But this November is proven not to be so sickly of test and random school materials so I think I will give myself another kick to try it. :D Maybe I'll actually go through it. :D

Good luck to you...

and me too!

@118 cingdoc,

Yeap, given the tenor of the negotiations held today over the dinner table, it is unlikely that baby Ji Hoon will be costumed tomorrow, even for pics. I felt like I was trying to get North Korea to give up its nuclear program.

National Novel Writing Month.... the project is for participants to try to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. That's it. You sign up, you try, and some succeed.

In 2008, around 120,000 ppl started the journey. Who knows how many will try in '09.

I wish I could do Nano this year as well...but unfortunately I don't have the time. Maybe next year. But good luck to all of you who are doing it!

@belleza
Yeah I was surprise that Tokyo Dogs got that time slot. Does that mean Shun has arrived (outside of the realm of teen audiences?). The ratings for the first two episodes were supposedly in the high teens. Mizushima Hiro is pretty, but I'm not sure how I feel about him as an actor (ie. Mei-chan no Shutsuji and Mr. Brain were okay I guess)...even in Hana-kimi I liked the Nanba-senpai better in the Taiwan version.

But I heart Oguri Shun (probably one of my earliest J-actor crushes)...but you are right, he's been sleepwalking through some of his recent dramas. I really liked his older stuff, especially in Summer Snow---I was impressed with his acting and I had a huge crush on him b/c of that role. Tenchijin is something I'm hoping to watch during Winter Break---it's been so long since I've seen Tsumabaki Satoshi onscreen (I loved Orange Days!) and even longer since I've seen a taiga...Jin is on my list to watch list and I also heard Fumo Chitai is good?

Random question though: Did you watch Meteor Shower? If you did I would love to hear your take on it.

@sleeplessinwgtn
I watched the first episode Autumn's Concerto when it first aired and it seemed interesting...but I kind of wondered if it was going to be similar to Prince Turned to Frog.

@Liv
About Smile, You...I agree that the whole 50 episode thing also complicates things because that's a big time investment and I had hoped it was only like 24 episodes or maybe 30 at most. But to be honest, I have been fast forwarding recently through the episodes b/c some of the side stories aren't as interesting. But I really do think Jung Kyung-ho is extremely underrated. He did a great job in MiSa as (a pretty annoying) Yoon and then I was impressed again in Time between Dog and Wolf. I haven't seen Ja Myung Go, which I think was his first lead role, not sure though. But he's doing great in this so far. I really hope Smile, You picks up plot-wise or at least in terms of character development.

@Samsooki
Re: Ji Hoon's Halloween outfit
Since you're one of my fav, I will give you a very IMPORTANT advise. PLEASE do not TRY to upset a postpartum wife. Trust me, she's at her biggest change (drop) of hormones now, soooo unless you have a death wish and decide to cross her in any way, you will be in BIG trouble. Translation- just agree with Mrs. Samsooki, keep everything simple. There's always next year, buddy. You will not regret it if you trust my advise ( this does not require a retainer, Sir... it's pro bono...from a friend) And yes, after a few weeks, we girls will return to our SWEET , LOVEABLE, self....he he :)

ps Mr Cingdoc is still waiting....

I just saw the Moon/star part of YB...*sigh...so emotional MN...so dense TK...bad timing. TK, I know you are blind in the dark ( Retinitis Pigmentosa), but how can your HEART be blind, too???

Nanowritmo,
So, the month of Nov is for writing...got to tell lil cingdoc # 2, she's a prolific writer; she might be interested...Thanks, you guys

Finished watching YB, and man is it good. Im so glad to finally see a K romance drama again thats fast paced, decently written and well acted. Esp the lead.

Most young actors in K dramas tend to half ass their way through their dramas (BOF being a prime example) but he acts in every scene like his life depended on it, seems very dedicated and it clearly shows. Not to mention the over all childhood plots are still keeping us on our toes, at this point it looks like their sibling, I wonder what the truth is. Tho the love rectangle is alittle strange, perhaps it should have kept to just two.

And also how refreshing is Han Takeyung? The guys doesn't play around, he gets straight to the point, its been a long time, K drama tend to have such expressionless male leads most of the time.

And the field pig scene, I don't think I've laughed that hard in ages.

@85 Goldlilys

" About Halloween, how do the rest of countries celebrate it? I was born in Philippines, but immigrated in the US when I as 9 years old. I remember in Philippines, we set up a table full of food for the people who have passed away and pray. I was surprised though when I came to the US and everyone were instead wearing costumes and Trick or Treat for Halloween."

I think your confused, in the Philippines visiting your loved ones who has passed on and bringing food is done on November 1 which is a national holiday called All Saint's Day. It was never on Oct 30 or Oct 31. Though some family would visit and go to the cemetery sometimes before or after Nov. 1 to avoid monstrous traffic and overcrowded cemeteries.

And btw copying the "trick and treating for candies" part of Halloween celebration is NOT A COMMON THING in the Phils. Probably a miniscule of the 89M Filipinos does it. Usually its done in exclusive residential villages who have a lot of expat population or residential gated communities of the uber rich who does it. I would say that would be .00000001% of the Filipino population. Halloween is also advertised in the big shopping malls as a form of commercial marketing as opposed to the true essence of it to Americans. Its the same concept of Christmas in non-Christian countries like Japan. Its a big deal in all their malls because its a marketing tool, rather than the celebration a what really Christmas is to Christians. In hotels its also celebrated as an F&B event because of the foreign guests, but since we hardly ever have Americans (mostly Koreans, Japaneses, Chinese and Arabs) its there (Haloween) but not really a big deal.

Don't be pissed, if you think that Filipinos has adopted Halloween as a major holiday, like Americans. On the contrary its a non-event for most Filipinos. The Catholic Church (which is very powerful here) even preaches against it because they believe that "celebrating the ghosts and ghouls" is sort of like the work of the devil, or something like that.

So your right its NOT PART of our culture, but your wrong if you think we have copied and embrace it, or even that we COPY everything from the US. I am sure you would'nt know since you have migrated to US since you were nine, IDK how old you are now so IDK how long ago is that. Mabuhay ang mga Pinoy.

JB with out realizing I think I have just fallen in love with your recaps, you seems to have the maturity that a lot of people lack when they give their opinion, but I do appreciate your honest opinion as in the case of Lady Castle, I do like Yoon Eun Hye very much, but thanks again for your hard work and your honest opinion, even when people give you a hard time I think 99% of the times you are right on target please keep up the faith, and thanks again all the way from Salem Oregon...JB Rock's......

helloeveryone... it's saturday here...

thanks Nom_Kitteh

im tuning in to KBS2 at the moment - IRIS is on. not planning to watch it yet tho

@YB
It's official- besides My Gong Yoo ( in CP cup #13), JGS is the other Korean guy who made me cry while I was watching him crying his eyes out ***sob*** And MN "my star is crying in the dark, what to do"....man , have to wait another week!!!!

@122 Taohua

I have not seen Prince Turned to Frog so that's okay.

The only odd storyline I've come across in the drama is the 'court' scene in the university. Is that realistic to do that in a university environment? Do they have any jurisdiction over private individuals?

Another observation of T-drama is the use of the incestuous interest of stepfathers on their stepdaughters. I've seen this in Mars, too. Kinda creepy.

Come to think of it, they use this also in Philippine dramas and movies.

Everyone....
Happy OT!
Happy Halloween!
Have a Blessed and Safe Weekend!

Mr & Mrs. Samsooki: The adventure of a lifetime begins ... sincere congratulations and much happiness!

Thank you all for bringing up Nano! I heard about it from javabeans/dramabeans and a few others through their nano blogs last year. I so wanted to join last year but found out about it a week into November and thought "eh, I'm already late." I'm excited and am really thinking about joining this year.

@ Langdon & Samsooki,

I'll be joining my Friends crowd right after I finish Odoru Daisousasen this weekend. Been waiting for Friends subs to be completed before I start watching and next week is about right.

@122 Taohua and @129 sleeplessinwgtn

JIN is the show that has me all excited currently, besides YB and IRIS. I'm a sucker for time travel and historical stories, and the idea of a 21st Century doctor showing off his superior knowledge and skills in the Edo period (1603 to 1868), lumped with one of the most exciting times in Jp history, is just too exciting to pass. Three episodes in, I find JIN as addicting as YB and IRIS, all for different reasons. JIN has an excellent story line, a great cast to carry it through, breathtaking cinematography, and first rate execution/ production - everything!

Meteor Shower - as addictive as the Jp, TW and Kr versions. If your hero is Doumouji, MS won't disappoint! I like all changes made for this version, e.g. Evil Mom is less evil - more realistic; lead girl's parents are not floor or boot lickers (these two had always made me cringe in the other 3 versions). I would recommend it.

Autumn Concerto - has cliches written all over the place. Poor nice girl, rich bad playboy - tick. Rich Boy's mother forbids relationship and wants boy to marry rich girl - tick. Rich girl is very nice, pretty and successful - tick. Rich girl likes rich boy - tick. Another poor boy likes poor girl - tick. Rich boy has brain tumor and requires surgery - tick. Rich boy loses memory after surgery - tick, tick tick! Nevertheless, I still find Autumn Concerto very refreshing. Vaness and Ady seem to be able to hold onto me despite the cliches, and I will continue to watch it.

i'm a day late again for the open thread... whew! missing all the discussions here.

@125 budsdiana,

Well said!!! i was actually kind of offended at that comment when i read it. Glad to see a Pinoy stepped up and spoke out. Well-done!!!

Congratulations, Samsooki, on the arrival of Ji Hoon! Hope you and Mrs Samsooki have enough sleep.

It seems everyone is being sucked into that enchanting black hole, that is, You are Beautiful. I do have to agree this is thus far the best work of Hong Sisters. JGS is amazing and I am so impressed by how he has created the whole routine of HTK body language. Just wish the HTK moment of truth will arrive on screen soon now that the jealously level is up and running. If next Wednesday is too much a wait, this one-shot fanfic on the studio recording scene in Ep 7 is worth a shot alongside re-watching previous episodes:

@ Capital Scandal - Much as I like KJH, I forced myself to finish the drama. Not just it is too slapstick to my taste, I have issue with HJM's character and her romance with KJH is a bit off, or emotionally disengaged to me as an audience. The second couple is actually the best part of this drama. That is why Belleza's comment on HJM's chemistry (or non-chemistry) with her male lead is very spot on. She and SJS in Cain and Abel are so sweet and adorable that you think they might be a real couple in real life.

I have decided not to watch IRIS until it finishes. I can't handle two live dramas at the same time. YB is already too much to handle. Will try to start a new 'finished' drama: should I go for Sons of Sol's Pharmacy, or T-drama My Queen (I usually watch one or two T-drama and the last two were FTLY and B&W), or C-drama Meteor Shower (and I've never watched any C-drama before)....

Happy Halloween to everyone up north. We aussie down under don't do much on this day.

@ xiahkixiri

actually, if you live in the us of a, u can probably catch Shanghai Sweetheart/Hi My Sweetheart sunday morning, cause it airs sunday night in taiwan. his look for the character of da lang is hardcore awesome. show's got great comedic timing, so im sure this drama will be a real hoot. but right when we're in the middle of all the sweetness, im sure things will start getting angsty and i'll be crying my eyes out xp.

also, just curious, is IRIS good? i wanted to watch it just for TOP (yum yum), but now im not too sure if it's worth my time, since i've yet to check out the other dramas on my to-watch list. is IRIS as kick-ass as black & white?

@Nom_Kitteh

"Go to http://www.livestation.com/ , download and install the software (very simple — doesn’t take up a lot of hard drive space). You will get a kind of a mini player. Open the player, do a search for SBS, connect, and that’s it."

Is livestation different from TVU? TVU has every korean channel except KBS.

@epyc
I decided to also put IRIS on hold as well until YB finishes since time is limited and Viikkii isn't showing it. I thought I wouldn't get another great drama after city hall this year but YB has really surprised me and in some ways I'm enjoying it more due to the better writing.

@ 134 epyc, G'day! Glad to know there's someone sharing the same sun down under... Do watch My Queen. It has a great storyline with a beginning, middle and end. The first part focuses on building a relationship, the middle focuses on problems in that relationship, and the ending deals with resolution of those conflicts. I like the middle part best, but the ending is also good. Hope I haven't spoilt anything! Script is tight; I like it that there's hardly any draggy side stories. OK, and I just swore I'd never use this word myself after reading it a thousand times in Soompi's "You Are Beautiful" thread from those teenagers and youngers, but....
Ethan is HOT! If you enjoy City Hall ep. 14 first part, watch My Queen ep. 19 first part.

135 annieee: "is IRIS as kick-ass as black & white?" You bet, and with a much higher budget to boot!

Wouldn't you know, this is the 2nd time in my working/no, actual life that I'm not at work, and I am NOT HAPPY... why??? because I'm home SICK WITH THE FLU!!!!!
along with my 2 kids( who probably gave me the germs in the first place) >_<
Don't worry, @Samsooki, I won't "breathe" toward you, so Ji Hoon should be fine, ;) (Seriously, be careful with the newborns, limit the amount of visitors to your house, esp during this flu period) Even me, Ms OCD who washes her hands minimumly 60 times/day (more if I have coughing/sneezing in my face patients- yes, I have been "sprayed" many, many time.)caught the bugs...ughhhh. Oh well, nothing to do, but park myself in front of the laptop and spend ALL DAY watching kdrama . What sacrifices I have to do, he he....;) ;o

my post is lost in kdramaland, again...oh well...I will just enjoy my sick day @ home.

@ cingdoc and hjkomo

Hope you two are resting comfortably. Cingdoc's special flu remedy sounds intriguing, I'll be sure to try it next time (I love homeopathic/home concoctions, it's more often than not a sure fire hit).

If either of you are suffering from a high fever (cold chills alternating with hot sweats), then the most amazing remedy which has cured me three flus in three years running is this:

Take 2 large gingers, preferably old and wrinkly, but young ginger works just fine as well. Use a spoon to peel off the skin (the skin is soft and spoon scraping works like a miracle), then chop up the ginger into slices. Grab some stalks of green onions, and cut off the green stalks leaving only the white bulb portion, which you should rinse off thoroughly. Boil a soup pot of hot water, and throw in the ginger and green onion stems. Once it boils, lower the heat to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, then scoop out all the ginger and onions, and add a dash of salt and a large amount of brown suger to taste. Drink a large bowl WHILE it is still hot (but not scalding) - it needs to be drunk, not sipped, so let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then just chug it. I guarantee your fever will break within an hour. But you still need medicine to fight the underlying flu and/or virus. But at least you can lessen the discomfort.

Take care, everyone!

P.S. Last night's episode 2 of On Air was slightly more palatable than episode 1, but I'm still not sold yet, though slighty intrigued. Also, the majority of the scenes from the Taiwan portion was shot at the Hotel Lalu in Sun Moon Lake, Nantou County Taiwan, which is near my home, and also where I got to stay in swanky style for a few days of my honeymoon courtesy of the dad. ;-) It was/is an absolutely amazing hotel and surrounding environs are lovely. Too bad I didn't run into the On Air crew filming scenes with Park Yon-ha and Sung Yoon-ah, though I wouldn't have recognized them b/c I didn't start my k-drama watching until long after.

@136 nycgrl,
I don't know much about TVU. I checked out the TVU site, and it appears to be operating under the similar premise as LiveStation -- but I don't know what channels it carries. LiveStation is officially partnered with BBC, Al Jazeera, Al Arabiya, BBC-Persian, Indian TV, etc., so you can get very clear broadcast. And it's free. TVU has a monthly charge, right?

----------------------------
I made pumpkin curry soup with parsley and apples and celery FROM SCRATCH! From an actual pumpkin ------------> soup. So proud of myself. And I am never doing it again. It took forever! But it was good nom :-)

Unfortunately, I feel sick for 3-4 days already, but I just couldn't resist going online and congratulating the new papa samsooki (and mrs. samsooki as well)!

JB, even with a very weird virus that keeps me suffering for a while, I still get online to read your blog. Isn't it a progressive addiction? :-)

@ cingdoc

"Wouldn’t you know, this is the 2nd time in my working/no, actual life that I’m not at work, and I am NOT HAPPY… why??? because I’m home SICK WITH THE FLU!!!!!"

I was sick with the flu last week and though I was upset since I had an international presentation which we had to reschedule since I'm the lead presenter. There was nothing I could do so I enjoyed the time off to slow down and catch up on my kdrama. That is when I discovered YB and I wouldn't have watched that if I didn't need something light and fun. But I imagine its hard to be sick with two kids though.

All the people who have the flu, slow down, have lots of hot liquids, gargle with salt water twice a day and catch up on your kdrama.

@Nom_Kitteh

TVU is free I believe and one of the top Iphone downloads. You can watch TV realtime on your iphone. I'll check livestation though. Thanks

@ockoala
Thanks ...my Mom makes a similar version of your remedy with an addition of a fish head...yeeeah, not my favorite. Basically, I just made a pot of juk, and just "vegging" in front of the laptop, in sweats and no makeup on...a very rare Sat for me not working my a$$ off. ***sigh**Unfortunately, I have class (continuing education) tomorrow from 8-6, rats!!! It's MANDATORY, so I can't miss it. ..double rats! OMG , I just remember there's a time change (Fall back ) tomorrow, too, 1 less hours of sleep...triple rats! I really, really just want to stay home, with my laptop, with you guys....**sobs**

Thanks nycgrl

Hey guys, this has been bothering me and I know it'll probably come to me when I stop thinking about it, but I figured why not ask the almighty OT-ers. What's the adjective for something that just makes you feel (ie. laugh, cry, de-stress)? Thanks in advance!

O and I am going to try NaNoWriMo this year too!

@145 mud
an adjective that makes you feel ( laugh, cry, de-stress)- how about
-cityhallitis(esp. the-one-of-a-kind-designer-bag-itis)
-you'rebeautiful
with a subgroup of -Icanonlyseethemoon/mystariscrying-itis
-the man who can't get married/who get himself in trouble every time he opens his mouth-itis
all these are just subgroup of a single omnipotent adjective-kdramaaddictive

Sorry if you REALLy ARE looking for a word, but right now, my brainwave is on a particular frequency, he, he

@145: Cathartic? Emotive?

@nyc: I don't have an iphone -- but am starting to consider getting one. If they came in pink...

@145, mud

Evocative, stirring, and affective are a few more options.

@cingdoc and deena, hjkomo too

get well. I think ginger seems to be the 'it' ingredient. My mum makes chicken soup with lots of ginger when we're sick. And if you have a sore throat, grate a good amount of ginger, add honey and hot water. Try to drink it as warm as you can possibly stand. It helps soothe the throat.

@mud

I agree with cingdoc, right now for me it's YB. It puts me through the range of emotions in one hour.

USC/Oregon coming up. Definitely watching this. Though I usually don't, I will be cheering for Oregon this time.

Ginger is like the country cousin of the glorified Ginseng - it's not very stylish but it does all the work while Ginseng gets all the high falutin recognition.

But I'm from the countryside - and I support the all-powerful Ginger, cold remedy king.

@ mud

I like "touching" - and not in an inappropriate way.